Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have lots of guava trees, in fact I consider them a weed and have to cut them out. The wood is very popular for smoker wood in the US, DKS uses it for smoking his venison.

Anyway I have ship loads if anyone wants some.

Batz

Batz, You should chip it and sell it in 3 kg bags so it can be posted.

I'd buy some.

A work mate picked up 2 Aldi smokers lastnight for $129 each. Yes boys I am now part of the club! What to smoke first??

Having not actually picked it up yet, that's tonight, do I need to "run" it in? If so how did you do yours?

yeah give it a burn in, and an oil

I let mine go for about 5 hours

got some beef short ribs and some chicken thigh to put on the smoker tomorow so i can test out my new(smoke daddy)
running it on a electric masterbuilt smoker,lets hope i can get lots of smoke out of it,,,,,i found once the fist lot of chips would smoke it would leave ash behind that would insulate the new wood chips from the heat of the element ,so with this i should get lots of smoke and dont have to open the door to clean out the woodchip box,,,,,,,,,,
i guess it will be raining all day tomorrow so beers smoking and V8's it will be and trying to stay off my fractured foot from last weekend drinking fun,

The idea is a little smoke drifting through. You don't need a lot.

yeah when i do 2 9kg pulled pork shoulders i run the smoker for about 20hours ,and need just a bit more smoke than what i was getting,,,,,its good to fill it up just before people come over as they love the smell of it cooking aswell,,,,,,,,,you can cold smoke it aswell,,,,,i found with the electric smoker if you go to low its not hot anoth to smoke the wood,

When I did a 24+ hr cook (multiple joints/pieces back to back) I eventually filled the wood chip tray with ash and I couldn't get the hunks to burn/smoke

Emptying it fixed the problem, but it wasn't something I was expecting :)

i dont get a very good bark on my pork even after 20 hours going to see how it goes with the smoke daddy might up the temp to try and get a good bark,,,,,,,things i dont like about the electric smoker is the temp between turning heat on and the before the heat comes on there must be about 5deg i would say where as a gas one would have the same heat all the way though the cook,

Must admit my bark is great, but that's with gas at about 107C for up to 24 hrs

i Slather the pork with the rubber and use vegetable oil to get it to stick rather than mustard

And no foil crutch.

kegs23 said:
i dont get a very good bark on my pork even after 20 hours going to see how it goes with the smoke daddy might up the temp to try and get a good bark,,,,,,,things i dont like about the electric smoker is the temp between turning heat on and the before the heat comes on there must be about 5deg i would say where as a gas one would have the same heat all the way though the cook,
The bark has little to do with the temperature, its more about the rub. What rub did you use?

A light covering of veg oil before applying the rub helps it to stick.

Stux said:
Must admit my bark is great, but that's with gas at about 107C for up to 24 hrs

i Slather the pork with the rubber and use vegetable oil to get it to stick rather than mustard

And no foil crutch.
Slathering your pork with rubber is a bit too kinky for me, as I find it pinches a bit when crouching down to check the coals/smoke wood.

I checked out the Pro Q Frontier in the flesh yesterday at the St Kilda BBQ Festival. Very impressive bit of kit for the price in comparison to the Webber.
Now to convince SWMBO and find a Melbourne retailer.

Cosmic Bertie said:
The bark has little to do with the temperature, its more about the rub. What rub did you use?

A light covering of veg oil before applying the rub helps it to stick.

Slathering your pork with rubber is a bit too kinky for me, as I find it pinches a bit when crouching down to check the coals/smoke wood.
damn you iphone :)

jayahhdee said:
I checked out the Pro Q Frontier in the flesh yesterday at the St Kilda BBQ Festival. Very impressive bit of kit for the price in comparison to the Webber.
Now to convince SWMBO and find a Melbourne retailer.
Hey Jayahhdee,

I recently purchased the Pro Q, it is the ducks nuts especially for the price compared to the webber smokey mountain. I also like a few extra aspects that come with it. There are pre drilled holes for thermometers, hanging racks in the hood for fish or meat and also the snap lock fittings to open and close levels (this is so good when first learning). I am not sure if the WSM have changed there design but if they havent then this would be my buy again.

Sean

Got some ribs goingand have a couple of questions.

My smoke only goes for 20-40 mins? Is this correct? Should the smoke go for longer?

Using the Aldi gas smoker at 230F.

Cheers

Back