Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Camping in the rain,

Did a lamb roast in the gas smoker last night, just a glorified oven, was fantastic and even had a yummy smoke ring

But at 8:30pm I put the pork shoulder on. Kept it at 107-115C all night,

2 hrs of hickory smoke

Now 16 hours later its just about ready for pulling :)

image.jpg

(Excuse the upside iPhone pic)

barls said:
nice work mate,
Cheers, man. I'm already thinking about trying a whole chook next time. I definitely added too many beads when I ramped the temp up as there was enough heat left in them to cook for another couple of hours after the pork had finished, but I'll will know for next time.

Did a pulled pork yesterday.. spice rubbed, smoked for 6 hours with apple/cherry blend, braised in porter for six hours, pulled apart, then simmered in homemade bbq sauce, vinegar and more porter. Bloody fantastic.

This is my australia day smoked lamb. Lemon, oregon and rosemary rub. Smoked with redgum and black box for a few hrs and then foiled for a few more.
It was awesome

[post='
IMAG0120_roast_zpsd6dbdabe.jpg

Mine arrived from that seller last week.

mmm, love the food pics on this thread!

Just did a cook on Australia Day for a friend's housewarming... 20kg of beef ribs :)

Just starting out with it all - want to do some brisket / pulled pork soon!

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Did some pig for Australia Day. 2 hrs smoking (mix of pecan and mesquite), one hour no smoke, 2 hrs in aluminium foil (with apple cider and more BBQ sauce) - all at 85oC with the vent closed. Basted again and then 1 hr and a bit at 110oC with the vent slightly open.

What an awesome dry rub this was! Got the recipe off the net but can't remember where (Chris' BBQ rub I think it was called). Rubbed 24hrs before cooking, bagged and chilled. Ribs, trimmings and a bit of belly (as pictured previously when I cut them up).
Dry rub.jpg

The day of cooking I made Chris' BBQ Sauce, omitting the chilli - fresh ground 4 colour peppercorns, cayenne pepper & worcestershire gave a nice warming rather than burning. Gave the pig a good old basting and bunged it in the smoker on the racks (tray was used for basting only).
Basted.jpg

Here it is cooked. The smoke did not penetrate the sauce much. However, for the first two hours of smoking I sat 3 beef and ale sausages (unadulterated) on the rack immediately above the water dish; they were cooked in this time and were deliciously smokey. I chilled them and later sliced them for horse doovers.
Cooked.jpg

Ready to eat.jpg

Verdict: farking great. Very much an American style with spicy sauce everywhere. Next time, I might try smoking some ribs without so much sauce to go more for the smoke flavour. Pig belly was dissapointing because there was stuff all meat in it but it was cooked well and the meat that we could find was succulent. The ribs were meatier than I had anticipated.

Stux said:
Camping in the rain,

Did a lamb roast in the gas smoker last night, just a glorified oven, was fantastic and even had a yummy smoke ring

But at 8:30pm I put the pork shoulder on. Kept it at 107-115C all night,

2 hrs of hickory smoke

Now 16 hours later its just about ready for pulling :)
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:6977]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:6978]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:6979]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:6980]

Smoked meat cuts are awesome and typically American fare, you can add to this American theme by making cornbread to have with your ribs or what ever. Cornbread is delish and perfect for mopping up tasty sauces and is really easy to make. The recipe below came from the series on SBS and is a cinch.

Cornbread.jpg

cheers

Browndog

Put the TriFire together on Friday night, gave it a burn/smoke in on Saturday and then fired it up proper on Sunday for a leg of lamb. Didn't really have the time to cook it too slow and basically relied on a meat thermometer to tell me when to take it off. Came out nice juicy and tender.

Yesterday fired it up again and put in some ribs. It was a last minute decision so it only got the dry rub put on about 30mins before going in. Also didn't bother taking off the membrane but will try and get rid of it next time.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oev889944gaw13t/2013-01-28%2013.48.42.jpg

Did a 2-1-1 cook and tried to maintain the barrel temp around 105. Had trouble getting the temp to settle and also maintaining the fuel, but only a matter of time before I get the balancing act right and know how much wood/briquettes to put in at the beginning so that the temp doesn't sky rocket but will actually last quite a while.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffm6o26k471tr3r/2013-01-28%2018.51.08.jpg
Ended up really nice, not as juicy as I'd hoped and I'm kicking myself for not swapping out the small tray (which I was putting water in) with one that didn't have a hole. Figured the water dripping down to the bottom tray would help keep things moist, but oh well. Will make sure it's not leaking next time.

Stux,

How does the pulled pork turn out? dry / moist? How much gas do you go through on such a long cook? Any recommendations on recipes?

Cheers!

Lael

lael said:
Stux,

How does the pulled pork turn out? dry / moist? How much gas do you go through on such a long cook? Any recommendations on recipes?

Cheers!

Lael
I never rotated the pork, so one half was drier than the other half, which was perfect... next time, I'll rotate it in the middle of the cook, as it turns out the vent side of the cooker is hotter.

(But not dry like your normal over-cooked pork roast, just dry compared to perfect)

BUT the beauty of pulled pork is you homogenize the meat. The bark is dry and chewy... nice by itself, but when mixed through the rest of the meat its divine, almost like jerky bombs

You run it on as low as it can go... and perhaps even lower than that

The dial goes off->high<->med<->low, between off and high you can adjust the usage to anything between high and off, ie, lower than "low"

I did get a full gas bottle for this cook, just in case, but i totally forgot to check usage. But its very low. after all, just one small burner as low as possible.

can recommend amazing rib's pulled pork recipe, with memphis meat dust and kansas city bbq sauce (all three recipes on the website)

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html

We're still using up the packet of meat dust we made for the ribs a few weeks ago... and the bbq sauce...

These cooks have been practise runs for a massive texas bbq I'm putting on in a couple of weeks :)

being very new to smoking meat, but i've learnt the most important aspect of smoking ...

the reason people smoke meat is to drink more beer, its a slow process, much slower than cooking steaks on the barbie, more time spent cooking, the perfect reason to baste not only the meat, but yourself as well ... i like it

smoked a piece of wagyu striploin tonight, ms9, nice and thick, about 600g, seasoned with some extra virgin sesame oil, a clove of garlic and some black pepper, 10 mins of smoking with peach wood at 225F, then continued cooking for around 50 mins more until internal temp of 60C, rested for 20mins and sliced thinly, served with a side of leaf greens ... that good i reckon tetsuya would be asking for the recipe

gonna try some duck smoked with tea leaves next time

I have been playing with my Hark Gas smoker trying to get a handle on temperature control, especially trying to get constant low temperatures.

I have tried using an old metal colander with 5-15 heat beads in the colander and chip/chunks underneath.

5 heat beads holds the temp at about 50 oC

10 heat beads holds the temp at about 70 oC

15 heat beads holds the temp at about 75 oC

(this is all dependant on your ambient air temp, wind and set up etc).

It is pretty easy to start off with 5 heat beads and creep up on the temperature you are after.

For really low temps I used a medium sized milo tin with 2 inches of pellets and 2 heat beads and kept the temp around 30-34 deg.

Its great fun, just like getting to know your brewing system all over again.
Cheers
Chris

Who put a whole pig in my 100L mash tun?

pig in a box2.jpg

Planning a big texas bbq

2 large shoulders for pulled pork, 2 hocks, 1 full leg, 1 hammed leg, ribs and spare ribs for smoking, loin/belly waiting for bacon treament :)

And all the skin for scratchings... yeee ha :)

Still need to pickup the two beef briskets ;)

Latest posts

Back