Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled porks nearly done, time to crutch the briskets, then the ribs replace the pork
Later poppers and potatoes replace the brisket.

Buffalo wings in the deep fryer ;)

image.jpg

Stux said:
Pulled porks nearly done, time to crutch the briskets, then the ribs replace the pork
Later poppers and potatoes replace the brisket.

Buffalo wings in the deep fryer ;)

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Jaysus, you look like one of the BBQ Pit Boys.

lamb2-1.JPG

2kg leg of lamb cooked on a kettle bbq using the snake method. 4 1/2 hrs at 130 deg smoked with hickory for the first hour

yum :)

cheers steve

God I love the pix in this thread!

I have just got back from a few weeks OS and while I was there was served some smoked cheese. I never even knew it existed and fingerbang me, it was delicious.

More aroma of smoke than the flavour but very nice over all.

Question: Has any one here ever smoked cheese? Thoughts? Tips? Might give it a run when I catch up on work....

Heston has a series on sbs at the moment and he smoked some cheese on a webber kettle type bbq. He threw ice down the bottom to keep smoke cold or some shit looked pretty easy I think you can watch the episodes on sbs website

Cocko said:

I have just got back from a few weeks OS and while I was there was served some smoked cheese. I never even knew it existed and fingerbang me, it was delicious.

Question: Has any one here ever smoked cheese? Thoughts? Tips? Might give it a run when I catch up on work....
Im interested in this too and have been reading some articles over on cheeseforum.org about it.

Read this one here (also has links to other good articles)

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,8788.msg62421.html#msg62421

I had smoked swiss cheese a few years ago and it was sensational.
I had forgotten about it until now.

Cheers, Cockster!

Youtube how to cook like heston season 1 ep 5 about 17 minute mark is where is does it

generally the same as what ever the outside temp is.
hence why i mostly do cheese in winter

I've used my cold smoker to smoke cheese, nuts, chiilies etc.

One of the best things you can smoke is salt. It imparts smokey flavour to anything you cook with it then. Great in with the peas and corn, on salads etc.

Just spread out on a tray and smoke it till it's a smokey colour, takes on smoke quite quickly B)

i use my smoker an aldi hark gas smoker.
i put the cheese on the top shelf and amazin on the bottom. close off the vent at the top and then fill the water bath with ice. light and leave for a while.
the water bath is normally used to stop meats from drying out in a long smoke. it also adds thermal mass to the inside of the smoker.

Cheers for that, might give it a go when my cheese is ready..

Cocko said:

when i kill the flame to my smoker, moments before-hand i get the chips smouldering really heavily by putting them on the direct flame. I then kill the heat, drop in the cheese, nuts, salt / whatever you want to cold smoke and close the door and forget about it.

Typically the wood continues to smoulder for some time and by the time you have finished eating & boozing amongst friends and cleaning up, the cold smoked products are typically smoked to perfection (haven't tried doing sausages etc as that would take 12 hours~) but for most short term smoked items that are not being smoked for preservation its a winner, best of all it costs you nothing in energy to do like a UDS.

barls said:
you want to smoke rather than steam, was my thoughts. give it a go both ways and let us know.
personally ive just scored a pile of cherry wood and will be trimming back my peach and plum again shortly so im good.
I just used some prunings from my plum tree, branches that the bloody possums have broken off, really nice smoke, subtle and almost sweet taste. Beautiful for smoking roast chook.
Down side is that it takes 5.5hrs at 110 deg, all the while letting out a glorious smell that makes you want to rip in way to early

Cheers
Chris

Latest posts

Back