Smell my starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ploto

Reaction score
Reculturing coopers yeast from fresh pale ale stubbies. Cracking the pet bottle it smells of apple, but not in a vinegary way. Tastes okay, a bit sweet from the malt extract with a ting from the CO2, but not vinegar. Is this an expected characteristic from coopers yeast? Last time it was all banana, which is what I'm after.

I've got apple and pear from coopers yeast before.

Sounds fine to me.

A whole bunch of esters, and acetaldehyde smell like apples.

Apples is never a "dump it" smell.

If only the bar service at my local was as quick as that... cheers manticle.

I've read of coopers having apple & pear but never noticed it myself. Mind you, it's only the second time I've tried to reculture it. I suppose the characteristics of the starter won't necessarily transfer to the finished beer. Might temperature may have something to do with it? The starter has been out at room temp, mid 20s, planned ferment is 17.

Temperature can definitely influence things.

Green apple skin is indicative of acetaldehyde (can also be perceived as paint emulsion or pumpkin skin), red apple is more likely ethyl hexoanate (red apple ester).

Agree with Nick - nothing to indicate it should be dumped and nothing to do with acetic infection (vinegar)

Thanks for the replys fellas. I will go ahead and pitch it later today.

If you want the banana type taste to come through, brew at about 18.5 (STC set to creep up 1 degree before kicking in)
Brew 17-18 for predomonently pear.

Just did a back to back with this yeast and got two distincly different tastes from the yeast and only about 1-1.5 deg different.
Pitching rates would have been a little higher on second batch and may have played a part also.

Both beers were tops though!

Cheers,
D80

Slightly off topic, but CPA yeast makes a supurb OzIPA.

Diesel80 said:
If you want the banana type taste to come through, brew at about 18.5 (STC set to creep up 1 degree before kicking in)
Brew 17-18 for predomonently pear.

D80

Cheers, 18.5 it is then.

Latest posts

Back