SMaSH Combinations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tips, I've got about half a kilo of hallertau so I'll go with that. What IBU were you aiming for? I was thinking maybe 35ish with 15-20 from a bittering addition and the rest at 10 minutes or flame out

contrarian said:
I'm thinking my next brew might be a pilsner/hallertau smash. Has anyone tried this combo?
I have made a couple of these recently. Thought they would be a good easy drinker for the summer/xmas masses but surprisingly drinkable. Fermented with Notto produces a faux lager type beer.

contrarian said:
I'm thinking my next brew might be a pilsner/hallertau smash. Has anyone tried this combo?
not exactly, but i did one with vienna/hallertau and wlp080. a cream/blonde ale. bloody amazing.

Sounds tasty! Might aim for a slightly low alcohol ~4% for a summer quaffer! Will provide a nice counterpoint to the american amber and IPA I will also have on the go!

I think from memory the first one came in at 4.1 %. Expecting around the same for the one that's fermenting now.

Hard to believe that not everyone wants an IPA all the time :)

lukiferj said:
I think from memory the first one came in at 4.1 %. Expecting around the same for the one that's fermenting now.

Hard to believe that not everyone wants an IPA all the time :)
i've started enjoying the intricacies of making a very fine or 'lighter lager beer with minimal flaws and close to style. adds a bit of challenge over the simpler big hoppy IPA / pale ales haha.

I just like having some beer handy that I can have a few of across a sunny afternoon and evening without falling over! I just finished my second keg of a 95% pilsner 5% crystal with cascade to about 25IBUs and it was very popular with my mates and a great session beer!

SMASH is also the best way to learn about what malts and hops bring to beer when you are early on in the adventure like me.

Sampled a vienna/centennial SMaSH on the weekend. Tastes awesome but the mashed at about 68 so there's a bit of residual sweetness leftover (final abv was 4.6% and 32 IBU) that confuses the palate quite a bit. I'd recommend those doing a similar SMaSH to amp it up to about 5.5% or thereabouts so the hops don't conflict with the sweetness as much.

Will definitely make this again though and maybe swap the vienna for maris otter like some other members have done here :)

Sampled a vienna/centennial SMaSH on the weekend. Tastes awesome but the mashed at about 68 so there's a bit of residual sweetness leftover (final abv was 4.6% and 32 IBU) that confuses the palate quite a bit. I'd recommend those doing a similar SMaSH to amp it up to about 5.5% or thereabouts so the hops don't conflict with the sweetness as much.

Will definitely make this again though and maybe swap the vienna for maris otter like some other members have done here :)

I'm going to brew a Vienna/Hallertau Mit. SMaSH next weekend, ferment with Swiss Lager @ 19°c as per tons of threads on here, really looking forward to trying it.

I did a Riwaka Maris otter smash ( ok I used some calypso coz I didn't have enough but ya know ). I don't think I've ever done 100% Maris otter. How bloody good does it smell and taste from the sample tube!.

I'm thinking of dingemans, Hallertau and wlp 830

Only smash I've ever done was marris otter and Amarillo. 60IBU for an IPA. It was nice but kind of 1 dimensional.

There is a crazy smash in the new IPA book called Reid IPA. It's a really old recipe and is Marris Otter with a heap of Fuggles. A measured 130ibu or something like that.
Had me intrigued, although I'm hesitant to do it after the Amarillo (apricot juice) smash. Maybe ill add a bit of crystal or Munich to it..

I did an IPA really early on when I was still doing extract that was really heavy on Amarillo, tasted like apricot nectar, didn't rate it one bit... but then I don't like apricot nectar.

While I've made some good beers with under 50% amarillo for me I have to use with caution.

Just brewed my pilsner/hallertau smash last night, bittered to 35IBU an an OG of 1.047. It took a lot of hallertau to get the bitterness up there but tastes great out if the kettle!

contrarian said:
Just brewed my pilsner/hallertau smash last night, bittered to 35IBU an an OG of 1.047. It took a lot of hallertau to get the bitterness up there but tastes great out if the kettle!
nice one! yeah the one i made was a winner

What yeast did you use fletcher? I'm thinking about using s-189 to make a quasi pilsner as there's no way I will have long enough to lager this for any significant period of time before it winds up in a keg.

I also realised that I used 250g of hops, the bulk of it as a flame out addition due to the low AA and target BUs. I think this will be tasty!

contrarian said:
What yeast did you use fletcher? I'm thinking about using s-189 to make a quasi pilsner as there's no way I will have long enough to lager this for any significant period of time before it winds up in a keg.

I also realised that I used 250g of hops, the bulk of it as a flame out addition due to the low AA and target BUs. I think this will be tasty!
i ended up using a cream ale yeast - wlp080. turned out really good. didn't take long. was a quazi-lager also just finished a bit fuller (mashed a bit higher than i should have). simple recipe. added some 5 minute hallertau that really gave it something unique too. also added carapils which i probably didn't need but my mates loved it.

this was it: http://sexyfuntimebrewing.weebly.com/angry-princess-blonde.html

Sounds like a winner! Can't wait to see how this one comes out. My last beer was pilsner, a bit of crystal and calypso and that went down well with my mates too, hopefully this is another nice summer quaffer!

Planning a MO Riwaka for my first SMaSH, aiming for about 5.5% and 40 IBU. Just not sure what hopping schedule I should go with? At 5.8% AA I just wanna make sure it doesn't turn out grassy or drown the maltiness. How's 40g @ 60 30g @ 10 and 30g @ flame out? Go easy, only my 3rd AG brew, lots to learn...

Just did a MO EKG smash on the weekend OG 1.050 and 35-40IBU from 60g at 60 and 70g at flame out for 40L into cubes.

Haven't used riwaka but it looks like it would be tasty to me!

Latest posts

Back