Skunk Fart Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jye said:
Will be interested to know how it turns out with the Chinook <_< When ever I have used it I have not been happy.
[post="105866"][/post]​

Well LCPA is reportedly bittered with it - so 15 gms at 20 mins should be ok - hopefully :)

My American brown was bittered with Chinock & I love that...

cheers Ross

Ross said:
Well LCPA is reportedly bittered with it - so 15 gms at 20 mins should be ok - hopefully :)

cheers Ross
[post="105868"][/post]​

G'day Ross, I heard that LCPA was bittered with goldings and the chinook was used in the hopback. Might be totally wrong of course. Where did you hear it was bittered with chinook?

That brew looks scrum-didily-umptious though. I am going to try and get my hands on some chinook and simcoe at some stage - I haven't tried them before but they sound great.

Jye said:
Did I mention I hate LCPA :p
[post="105876"][/post]​

OMG, you serious? :blink: !!!

You must be pulling my leg, you're such a big fan of APA's... My last apa was very similar to lcpa & I seem to remember you loving it :blink:

I'm pretty sure Chinook doesnt feature in the bittering for LCPA, its added late in the hop back. Its in one of the many threads here or on Grumpys. Chinook is a great hop added late, for bittering you have to like the taste of grapefruit.

T.D. said:
Ross said:

cheers Ross
[post="105868"][/post]​

G'day Ross, I heard that LCPA was bittered with goldings and the chinook was used in the hopback. Might be totally wrong of course. Where did you hear it was bittered with chinook?

That brew looks scrum-didily-umptious though. I am going to try and get my hands on some chinook and simcoe at some stage - I haven't tried them before but they sound great.
[post="105892"][/post]​

TD,

Had gone off this info from their site:

"Chinook - for bittering character, gives a zesty grapefruit taste
Cascade - very aromatic hop, gives a unique floral aroma "

but they also list Goldings on their site & state they bitter with pellets, while using flowers in the hopback - so you may be right.

Not looking to make LCPA anyway (not my favourite either), but was looking for slightly more grapfruit in this once, hence the change in hop schedule... :)

cheers Ross...

23L

5kg Traditional Ale Malt
450k Cara Pils
340g Cara Munich
225g Munich Malt
125g Wheat Malt

mash 66

batch sparge 75

Hops

8g Amarillo 11% 45min 10.9
8g Chinook 15.2% 45min 15
8g Amarillo 11% 15min 3.2
8g Chinook 15.2% 15min 4.5
8g Amarillo 11% 10min 2.4
8g Chinook 15.2% 10min 3.4
14g Amarillo 11% 5min 3.5
14g Chinook 15.2% 5min 4.9
14g Amarillo 11% 1min 3.5
14g Chinook 15.2% 1min 4.9
12g Cascade 5.2% 1min 1.4 (just becuase I have that left over)

I can't remember the aa of the Amarillo so that may need to be adjusted.

I have ignored the IBU's for the 5 and 1 min additions but thought with i best consider the 10 and 15 additions because of the high aa.

the above is based on a estimate of 70% eff. Lets see what i get.

couple of quick questions.

1. I am going to have a water grain ration of 3:1. If i always am after a 23L batch, would you normally adjust this ratio, the sparge volume or boil time to meet your targets? (ie. with a changing grain bill)

2. as suggested above at what point to you disregard the bittering potential of the hops in the boil, for high aa hops (eg 10min)

had more but i forgot.

cheers

cubbie.

I couldnt be bothered reading through this whole thread to see if this has come up before...but if anyone was trying to find out the actual yeast that LCPA use in fermentation, Chris White of Whitelabs let slip in a chat over a beer last night that he sends a 2 l bottle of WLP001 to them every couple of weeks and has done for the last 7 years. So there you go.

Im not to shocked by this news.... but this line

Chris White of Whitelabs let slip in a chat over a beer last night

:eek: was this in person? How did you catch up with him? I heard him on the brewing network and he had some great info :beerbang:

Chris gave a talk in a pub in Perth last night, finished at 11 pm, then was happy to stick around drinking beer and chatting for ages after that. Hes an accomplished speaker, was happy to let the talk go wherever people wanted. Hardest thing to remember was "Don't mention the (war) wyeast" since it is more commonly available in Perth than Whitelabs.

That would have been an awesome night :beerbang:

It certainly was. He clearly knows his stuff and probably has the best job in the world. Would have been good to tape it.

Off topic, I was priveledged to attend the "Chris White & Joanne night" in Hobart. Very knowledgeable & had a wealth of answers to any question. A fantastic evening to say the least :D

I just wanted to send out a huge thanks to the members (and moderators :D ) of the AHB for helping to guide me through my first all grain brew using this recipe. I had a taste after racking 48hrs into the primary ferment and was very promising (the hop aroma was sensational). I got a bit carried away on my boil and ended up with a final volume of 17l @ 1068 so I added some water to drop to 1058 @ 20l. It was a fairly smooth sail apart from losing my herms sprinkler in the mash and had to go fishing with a coathanger :D . I did a little jig around the shed when my herms setup actually worked :lol: .
I've got the grain bill together for Doc's Oatmeal Milk Choc Porter for tomorrow :super:

Thanks chaps !! (And Roy from TWOC for his patience)
Cheers
Doug

Hey Doug,
I hope it comes up a treat for ya, sounds like everything went reasonbly well.

Dancing days
Jayse

OK

I have done a lot of thinking on this and after a couple of failed attempts im going to have a shot at a good APA.

I have never brewed much of the "yank" type beers partly because of bad experiences (my stuff ups in the past) and the fact that cascade seems to be the 90's equivilant of a "NO FEAR" sticker on your car. I tent to shy away from what is the norm...... thats just me. Its what makes me special ;)

Now. As i said i have been thinking, and trying some LCPA but that didnt turn me.

I tried a glass of Pale Ale at Potters brewery in the hunter valley ( a couple of weeks before the HAG day) and it was great. I really liked it!!!

Whats in it i asked.......

Well a gentleman never tells but all those "C" words i had baged out came back and bit me on the arse!!!

Now.

I have read a lot of stuff on this forum over the years and it seems the Skunk Fart Ale is the benchmark. Which version i dont know but a combo of a few of them has to be good right :p

So i have had a go at knocking up something simple but close to Jayse's recipe to brew next week with some US56. I am going to use a bit of nobil stuff to smooth out that "pinecone in the mouth" thing i have trouble with with when lots of "C words" ar at hand.

Ok enough ranting....... hers is my idea.

Any coments, ideas or blank cheques in the main are welcome

Cheers

Stinky Yank Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 54.00 Wort Size (L): 54.00
Total Grain (kg): 11.90
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.87
Anticipated EBC: 21.6
Anticipated IBU: 38.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
58.8 7.00 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 15
25.2 3.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 3
8.4 1.00 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
5.0 0.60 kg. Weyermann Caramunich I Germany 1.036 100
1.7 0.20 kg. Weyermann Acidulated Germany 1.035 5
0.8 0.10 kg. TF Pale Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 550

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
30.00 g. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 9.50 14.6 60 min.
30.00 g. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 9.50 8.9 20 min.
30.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 4.7 10 min.
30.00 g. cascade (new) Pellet 5.90 3.3 10 min.
30.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 3.10 1.7 10 min.
30.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 2.6 5 min.
30.00 g. cascade (new) Pellet 5.90 1.8 5 min.
30.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 3.10 1.0 5 min.
30.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 0.0 0 min.
30.00 g. cascade (new) Pellet 5.90 0.0 0 min.
30.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 3.10 0.0 0 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.10 Oz Irish Moss Fining 5 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

US56 dry yeast

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 11.90
Water Qts: 37.72 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 35.70 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 3.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 66 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 76 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 76 Time: 15

Total Mash Volume L: 43.64 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Come to the hop side Tony
darth_vader.gif

Your hop schedule looks pretty good, my only suggestion would be to swap all the Hallertau with Simcoe which will still keep you away from a mouthful of pine.

Hersbrucker and a big dose of munich malt in a APA? I'd personally swap the pils and munich malt amounts around the other way and leave out the hersbrucker but as is it doesn't look to bad.

Boozed broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

Ok.... here is an updated versoin.

I have downed the munich, upped the pils and upped the gravity and bitterness too....... i couldnt help myself.

I have replaced the hersbrucker with some willamette to be more authentic and i dont have any simco.

here it is...... comments welcome :)

Stinky Yank Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 54.00 Wort Size (L): 54.00
Total Grain (kg): 12.90
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.80
Anticipated EBC: 19.5
Anticipated IBU: 42.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
54.3 7.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 3
31.0 4.00 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 15
7.8 1.00 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
4.7 0.60 kg. Weyermann Caramunich I Germany 1.036 100
1.6 0.20 kg. Weyermann Acidulated Germany 1.035 5
0.8 0.10 kg. TF Pale Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 550

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
30.00 g. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 9.50 15.6 First WH
30.00 g. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 9.50 11.0 30 min.
30.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 4.6 10 min.
30.00 g. cascade (new) Pellet 5.90 3.2 10 min.
30.00 g. Willamette Pellet 4.30 2.3 10 min.
30.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 2.5 5 min.
30.00 g. cascade (new) Pellet 5.90 1.8 5 min.
30.00 g. Willamette Pellet 4.30 1.3 5 min.
30.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 0.0 0 min.
30.00 g. cascade (new) Pellet 5.90 0.0 0 min.
30.00 g. Willamette Pellet 4.30 0.0 0 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.10 Oz Irish Moss Fining 5 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

US56

Looks good, Tony. I'm sure that hop bill would be nice, but why not go all the way, leave Germany behind and use the Amarillo, Cascade, Willamette blend for FWH and 30 minutes as well. :super:

Back