Silver Solder/Welding pipe thread joins - Disadvantages?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takai

Reaction score
Finishing off the build of my recirc system, and getting frustrated by trying to get the tapered thread fittings to seal properly, while maintaining the angles i want.

I have given some off hand thought to just silver soldering or TIGing the joins together so that they will be pointing in the right direction, but actually seal.

Anyone else done this? The disadvantage i see is reusability and serviceability, but really for the few dollars of fittings its not the end of the world.

Solder might be beneficial over the TIG as it will flow down into the thread and reduce any spaces for nasties to grow.

Thoughts?

At the risk of sounding like a bogan... just use a bigger spanner! Seriously though, I find that there is at least 1 full rotation between sealing and not being able to turn it any further, are you sure you don't just need a bit more confidence to keep winding it in? liquid sealant gives even greater flexibility...

Loctite 567 and a bit tighter on the pipe and let set for 24 hours. I've even found using teflon tape and putting 567 on top of and letting set to work really well.

Loctite 567 or 577 FTW. Or more thread tape. If you tig or solder one end of the thread you'll have a section where nasties could grow that would be very inaccessible.

you would use a weld nipple, not a threaded pipe.

Problem isn't aligning just one fitting. It is aligning 6 joins.
567 would work well, but I was steering clear of it given everyone up in arms about chemical sealants and acidic wort.

567 is brilliant and food grade so it would be my first choice, you can also get thicker than normal PTFE tape Yellow and even thicker Pink, both are good for loose fittings.
If you put enough tape on there should be one full turn on the fitting between firm and tight, so as above a bigger spanner can be a real asset.
I would steer away from soldering/welding any thread, if you are going to weld, buy weld in fittings rather than threaded.
Mark

Soldering is really only for non threaded joints

Thread tape & sealer allows you to easly dismantle the joint

Good quality threads dont need much sealant or tape ( if any )

Back