New self-flaring, silver soldered, SS pot fitting from the US

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldon

caveat brasiator
Reaction score
FYI - I thought this might interest brewers who don't want to use weldless fittings on their pots or keggles and would prefer a welded solution. However, if you don't know how to weld you need to find a quality welder of stainless steel at a reasonable price and trust your precious pots to him.

A new fitting developed by Brewhardware in the US has just come out and is something of an intermediate solution which is silver soldered rather than welded. The key feature is that the fitting itself acts as its own mandrel to flare the hole opening prior to soldering. This flare provides a large surface area contact between the fitting and the pot for the silver solder to bond.

soldered fitting.jpg

There's a video on how it works here:

And a recent thread on it at HomeBrewTalk here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-take-dimpling-silver-solder-bulkheads-511910/

Last edited by a moderator:
Only problem is you need a flaring tool, which is fine in the US where a lot of tool shops rent out tools, but here you'd just have to buy them
They don't look cheap either

I can appreciate beautiful things and over-engineering for sure, but don't fret if you budget wont stretch to flaring tools and stainless steel.
My welded solution was a 1/2" brass nipple soddered into sloppy hole in the keggle. Still leak free after years of indifferent handling.

sp0rk said:
Only problem is you need a flaring tool, which is fine in the US where a lot of tool shops rent out tools, but here you'd just have to buy them
They don't look cheap either
Isn't the point that the flaring tool/mandrel is built into the fitting?

Just attach through hole, and torque down until the fitting is pulled through and creates the flare?

You don't need to buy/rent the necessary tool (edit: if that's what its called).

The fitting makes its own flare in the pot's hole as its pulled through by a tool. In the video he shows an easily made tool cobbled together from a long coach bolt and a collection of various nuts, washers and a short length of water pipe (he uses a stainless pipe but any old steel pipe of suitable diameter would do). Seems a perfectly suitable tool to do the few fittings that the average homebrewer would want to do.

Feldon said:
You don't need to buy/rent the necessary tool (edit: if that's what its called).

The fitting makes its own flare in the pot's hole as its pulled through by a tool. In the video he shows an easily made tool cobbled together from a long coach bolt and a collection of various nuts, washers and a short length of water pipe (he uses a stainless pipe but any old steel pipe of suitable diameter would do). Seems a perfectly suitable tool to do the few fittings that the average homebrewer would want to do.
Ahah, my bad
I watched another older video that was saying you needed the tools

Back