m3taL's Homebraumeister build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3taL

Reaction score
So i have started collecting the stuff for my build.

- 50L Sanke Keg
- Braumeister 20L Malt Pipe, Top & Bottom Screens and filters, Hold down bar - Sourced Grain and Grape
- M12 All thread, Wing Nut, and assorted nuts/washers - Sourced from Konnect Supplies
- Weldless Fittings - 1 Ball Valve and 2 Pump In/Outlets
- Kegking Silver Pump (Existing from other brewery)
- Sestos PID and 1/2" NPT PT100 Sealed thermocouple (Hope to source a Brauduino instead)

Still to come
- Braudurio Controller (Hopefully)
- 3600w Element (Ordered from Romar Elements due in 10 days 19/3)
- Glass Lid to suit

Plan at the moment is to cut the complete top off the keg or close enough too it depending on Lid, Then weld the top collar off the keg to the bottom of it to give height for Pump to sit underneath and control box, Again this may still need some further design as im not sure if there will be enough height. SO some more legs or a stand may need to be constructed, would love to build something free standing but, would also like to be able to brew in the kitchen under the rangehood.

Im Keen to TIG Weld all the fittings in and use some quick disconnects on the pump so that it can be easily removed for clean up. Will see how this works out.

Im not sure if i will insulate or polish the keg Keen to get started but dont want to rush this like i did when i started the 3v system.

cant wait to get it underway....

HAWfvT3.png

I'll be watching your build with interest as i wouldn't mind doing something similar myself.

m3taL said:
- Braumeister 20L Malt Pipe, Top & Bottom Screens and filters, Hold down bar - Sourced Grain and Grape
Is the 20L malt Pipe from the 50L or 20L Braumeister? And if you don't mind me asking what was the cost for the malt pipe and screens?
Looking forward to following your build!

20l pipe from bm20 was 150 then I got the supports and filters and the bar bout 350 odd all up.

Will keep the pics and build coming as I do it hope to brew in a fortnight

Did you purchase those blue stainless saw stools through Braumeister too? They look pretty Schmick,

Cervantes said:
Can you give us details of the element that you have ordered?

Thanks
It's called a Double Ring element they custom make to what ever size you want. Mines 350mm diameter @3600w. Basically wait until you have the vessel and Iv put mine in the middle of the vessel and malt pipe cost was $130 + freight from Bayswater Melb

Have just sourced a Braudurino from Lael looks like a great unit and allows for running dual elements on seperate circuits for those who want to run 3600w or greater without 15a supply

I will also be watching with interest, looking forward to seeing your progress

Interested as well. My current keggle has a 3000w element in a ring around the inside. Element was more tightly wound but I unwound it to the inside dia of the keggle. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457564486.609519.jpg

gezzanet said:
Interested as well. My current keggle has a 3000w element in a ring around the inside. Element was more tightly wound but I unwound it to the inside dia of the keggle.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457564486.609519.jpg
Nice, Could you post up a couple of more pics of your Kettle, Im trying to decide weather to leave the handles on it or not... would like to see how that looks from side views

Here's some picks. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457686183.183979.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457686202.362246.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457686221.038744.jpg
If I did it again for recirc I'd probably cut out the bottom instead and use it upside down. The top flange on the keg filler can then be used to connect pipes and pumps as its in the middle of the bottom. Could fit a pickup tube through it as well and bend it to wherever you want.
Handles are handy

Done some work on it today was able to test the pump out, still need to get some quick disconnects for the pump and work out legs and what I'm going to do with controller.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Good one m3tal looking good

I see you welded nipples on, a lot of people use skin fittings,
did you use a stainless steel welding rod ?

rude said:
Good one m3tal looking good

I see you welded nipples on, a lot of people use skin fittings,
did you use a stainless steel welding rod ?
Yeah I welded them on all with 316 Grade rod and fittings, The welds are a bit rough but it has been a few years since iv tig welded stainless...

Main idea is so that no shit can hide under them they are welded to the back of the Pot and fused around the inside which makes them flat on the surface inside. I also needed them to be straight so that i can use Quick Disconnects direct on the pump to connect to the pot.

The allthread is also welded on the back and fused on the inside again for sealing quality and so no shit can hide under a nut or anything like that.

Hi m3tal, did you use backing gas or did you have to grind out the crap on the back of the weld before did the backing run?
Dave

I see well done plus minus the cost of the skin fittings

When you say fused ? is that a type of weld or did you tig the inside

Googled fuse welding

When you use you're tig touch to melt the 2 metals togerther

Have just found a good welder who is doing my pressure fermenter (triclamp & fittings on a sanke keg}
so once he has finished that might get him to do a homebrau :)

dblunn said:
Hi m3tal, did you use backing gas or did you have to grind out the crap on the back of the weld before did the backing run?
Dave
Argon Sheilding gas used, flow rate was down minimal due to not having much gas at hand, Just ordered a 10.6kg bottle to have at home as iv gotta tig up the brew stand and stuff.

rude said:
Googled fuse welding

When you use you're tig touch to melt the 2 metals togerther

Have just found a good welder who is doing my pressure fermenter (triclamp & fittings on a sanke keg}
so once he has finished that might get him to do a homebrau :)
Yeah Im a sheety by trade but have been off the tools for about 4 years and was really only part time on the tools for a few years before that as i worked my way up into management.

bloody hands were shaky as, as soon as you dont want them to shake and you try to concentrate they go all Parkinsons on me, but they got better towards the end..... by the time i finish the stand and stuff i'll be good at it again hahaha

Latest posts

Back