Show Us Your Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,

i finally had a few hours to spare after all the family bizzo during the chrissy hols and knocked up a boret mash paddle. i had to leave the handle of mine so it will fit in my brew stand, which has just had a lick of paint and is drying in the sun.

Rob.

Boret_Mash_Paddle.jpg

sspaddle.JPG

This is my recently renovated ss paddle. After it's test run on sunday, I can conclude that it would benefit from larger/more holes. Left the paddle in the kettle for the whole mash, and even by mash out the handle was still cool to touch.

Nothing special, Im just happy I finally found a large wooden paddle.

IMG_2264.jpg

Just purchased one the same as Cortez and Jye's today. Haven't drilled the holes in yet.

75cm/30" oak pizza paddle $9.90 from Hotel Agencies 298 Nicholson St Fitzroy (Vic) - no affiliation, just thought it was a good pickup. Noticed they have the shorter sticks in stock too at a cheaper price. Has the same brandmarks on it as Cortez's pic.

Have yet to give it a test run, wasn't aware of the Borret until stumbling upon this topic - but they are darn sexy too. :lol:

Hopper.

Yes but as long as you dont use it post boil and chilling its ok.

I had a plastic spoon and thought Id buy a plastic paddle as backup for the inevitable snap unfortunately they both broke within 5 mins of each other.

So in a fit of desperation, I cut the handle from a broom. Gave it a clean with chlorine, and into service it went. I think I will replace it with a nice stainless one tho.

where are the stainless ones coming from - or are people fabricating them themselves?

My plastic job snapped - so on the lookout for a new one

Using a plastic spoon here, it's crap. I've searched a few asian shops for wooden paddles. No luck so far.

Cheers Stuster, unfortunately they're not showing any in stock. I'll give them a call sometime.

The kitchenware place near the Logan Hyperdome (Kitchenware Plus I believe) had some last time I was in, round the $35 mark for a 50cm SS paddle. I'll be picking one up next time I'm down that way.

Cheers

Hume Highway, in Chullora, between Centary Drv and Margaret street there's a big mutha Hospitality store selling everything, including the kitchen sink. They have about 3 different lengths of big stainless paddles, the shortest is fine for a 50L Stainless 'pot' and fits in a big suitcase too ;)

Wollongong General Agency - a hospitality industry store (with lots of SS and other goodies)

Has both Wooden + SS paddles for sale at pretty good prices

I think my paddle cost me $5

SS wasn't too expensive either

I reckon most suppliers of commercial kitchen gear will have a decent range

Cheers

Buttersd70... I'd buy one without hesitation, they look great. I doubt my wife would be overly impressed with my $60 paddle purchase.

For now I'll just keep searching for a cheap wooden one locally. The poor Coopers spoon has never seen so much abuse.

Will post a pic of my copper spoon made from pipe scrap. Just posted to bump so I could find the thread.

Paddle, smaddle. Nothing beats a BIG s/s wok ladle.

Wes

Latest posts

Back