Show Us Your Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hole saw might work but you could also just use a big drill bit and then use a file to make the holes a little bigger if your need. Sounds a little tedious I know, but it worked OK when I did it to put a tap in my stainless kettle.

They have a nice wood one there too 750mm (foodutensils.com.au), but it's $15 shipping for an $8 paddle :(

Had a SS dip tube left over from a keg like container that I had modified. Had plans to use it for a SS mash paddle handle one day, thought I might take it into a sheet metal place and have them weld on a SS head. Checked a couple of places, one wanted $10 for the scrap SS and $35 to make it up.

Dropped into the Hospitality Superstore at Warana the other day for some beer glasses and asked the store manager Jose if he stocked anything suitable for use as a mash paddle, he showed me one in his stock list, at $27 thought it looked the goods so asked him to get one in for me. Was a bit concerned that it might have been a bit flimsy at that sort of money but took the chance. Picked it up this morning, VERY pleased this thing is seriously heavy duty and well made. Handle 25mm x 690mm Head 230mm x 120mm x 1.8mm thick, total length 918mm. The thing was made in India, probably a bit of the old SS Norway or something, any looks and feels great.

For those interested: Hospitality Superstore stock item code TK03404 Paddle S/S 900mm $27.18 Lots of other brewery/beer stuff, pots, glassware etc.

Sunshine Coast Store
35 Production Avenue
Warana 4575
07 5493 1338
Store managers name is Jose.
http://www.hospitalitysuperstore.com.au/

ABSOLUTELY NO AFFILIATION

Latest bling addition to the brewery:

SS_Mash_Paddle_Small.jpg SS_Mash_Paddle_Head_Small.jpg

Had a SS dip tube left over from a keg like container that I had modified. Had plans to use it for a SS mash paddle handle one day, thought I might take it into a sheet metal place and have them weld on a SS head. Checked a couple of places, one wanted $10 for the scrap SS and $35 to make it up.

Dropped into the Hospitality Superstore at Warana the other day for some beer glasses and asked the store manager Jose if he stocked anything suitable for use as a mash paddle, he showed me one in his stock list, at $27 thought it looked the goods so asked him to get one in for me. Was a bit concerned that it might have been a bit flimsy at that sort of money but took the chance. Picked it up this morning, VERY pleased this thing is seriously heavy duty and well made. Handle 25mm x 690mm Head 230mm x 120mm x 1.8mm thick, total length 918mm. The thing was made in India, probably a bit of the old SS Norway or something, any looks and feels great.

For those interested: Hospitality Superstore stock item code TK03404 Paddle S/S 900mm $27.18 Lots of other brewery/beer stuff, pots, glassware etc.

Sunshine Coast Store
35 Production Avenue
Warana 4575
07 5493 1338
Store managers name is Jose.
http://www.hospitalitysuperstore.com.au/

ABSOLUTELY NO AFFILIATION

Latest bling addition to the brewery:

View attachment 20648 View attachment 20649

Now that is a Mash Paddle!! Looks the goods Screwy!

Now that is a Mash Paddle!! Looks the goods Screwy!

Same one I got about 6 weeks ago from the Sydney store.

Used it 3 times so far & its fantastic!

I have mash paddle envy. My worn and battered Coopers spoon has never looked so sad :(

It still makes good beer though! Just cracking in to more Smurto JSGA now... great stuff. It's a bit of a girly beer, but sure goes down easy. This is what megaswill should be like.

That looks very similar to mine, Screwy. I picked mine up for a very similar price from that catering/home/kitchen type store over near Ross' place. It's up near the Office works... backing onto the highway.

edit: I suppose I should thank Rossco for the heads up on that one. I mentioned one day while picking up an order that I'd broken my plastic spoon. He showed me his, and pointed me at the store. I'm very happy with it.

Screwy's looks similar to the one I got from out in chullora, except mine was a fair bit shorter (to fit in the suit case) but around the same price range, can't remember exactly what I pais for it. I'm using it as a kettle spoon, so no holes. There's been a fair bit of grinding where the paddle meets the shaft to smooth the weld out. They've still left one or two scores there though and it appears as though the stainless isn't that fantastic or it wasn't treated properly as some rusty is starting to form in one or two of the scratches/gouges left behind.

OK, so after some ridicule today from Kabooby and Linz I've decided I'm gonna upgrade my snapomatic Coopers stirrer to a decent SS paddle.
Anyone know where you can get one from in Sydney (preferrably Western Syd)?

OK, so after some ridicule today from Kabooby and Linz I've decided I'm gonna upgrade my snapomatic Coopers stirrer to a decent SS paddle.
Anyone know where you can get one from in Sydney (preferrably Western Syd)?

HERE

Jez,
where abouts is the sydney store

Franko

Its on Parramatta Road at Camperdown/Stanmore next to the Stanmore Macca's and across the road from the Annandale Hotel.

There was another one there for $27 too when I got mine.

Jez

If any one in Adelaide is looking for a paddle, have a look here next ime you are in Gouger Street.
$14.95 wood paddle, also some SS pizza slides that could be converted, didn't check the price though.

This is a picture of my paddle. Large paint stirrer from Bunnings. Cant remember the price.
Brewing_031.JPG

Back