Show Us Your Manifold!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you run in your mash tun?

• Copper manifold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Braid

• False Bottom

• Malt Pipe

• Buckets of holes ;)

• Dirty Laundry

• Total voters

pk.sax

RIP bum
Reaction score
After a bit of toiling cutting up those peky slots, I finally finished it. Test run without sealing anything up had good siphon, leaft ~1.5 inches of water in the keg at the deepest point.... maybe I'll add another t-piece to the other side and run a piece straight to the bottom of the keg.... Overall happy :)

DSC00243.jpg

28ddd96e.jpg

Here's my home made one.

I added a pick up tube in the void space where the tap is to minimise deadspace. The slits are on the bottom.

About 10 mashes so far and no stuck sparges to note yet.

321467_134040706695315_100002681603666_159080_453394424_n.jpg

Here's my home made manifold, designed according to Palmer's How to Brew.

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

i use a FB i made from the dome i removed from my keggle build

tun5.jpg

tun8.jpg

and an early model here

Yard

very purdy all there.

@ Yardy, I wish.... I've received both kegs so far already cut and with sockets welded in! Think I'll keep my eyes peeled for any suitable lid looking steel things to cut up. for the future, maybe make this one my sparge ring if that ends up working better!

Anywho, note about the effort to make the damn manifold, the cheapy ozito rotary tool carked it, well, it works, but the flex arm's spindle is now permanently stuck in the collet of the tool and the damn lock on the tool just won't lock! Also, the tightening mechanism on the flex arm was just so darn dodgy... The nut kept coming loose every few cuts, I'd to check and tighten it almost every 2 cuts or so. This tool is definitely not worth buying, going back to shop.

PS: I'd have thought there'd be more people airing their dirty laundry ;)

very purdy all there.

@ Yardy, I wish.... I've received both kegs so far already cut and with sockets welded in! Think I'll keep my eyes peeled for any suitable lid looking steel things to cut up. for the future, maybe make this one my sparge ring if that ends up working better!

Anywho, note about the effort to make the damn manifold, the cheapy ozito rotary tool carked it, well, it works, but the flex arm's spindle is now permanently stuck in the collet of the tool and the damn lock on the tool just won't lock! Also, the tightening mechanism on the flex arm was just so darn dodgy... The nut kept coming loose every few cuts, I'd to check and tighten it almost every 2 cuts or so. This tool is definitely not worth buying, going back to shop.

PS: I'd have thought there'd be more people airing their dirty laundry ;)

gday pf,

will you be recirculating the mash through the ring ?
watch the hole size if you do.

12.jpg

13.jpg

Yard

avoid cheap tools mate, there's no such animal as cheap and good..

sorry for the noob question but what's the purpose of these manifolds?

sorry for the noob question but what's the purpose of these manifolds?

They separate the grain from the wort after mashing the grain in hot water (commonly at about 65 degrees C) for about an hour. You then boil the wort during which you add hops. Then cool the wort down to 20 degrees C or less, add yeast and ferment to make beer.

BIABbag.jpg

No drilling or dremelling required.
Never had a stuck sparge.
Handy for carrying spent grain to the chooks.
Requires minimal storage space.
Can double as a windsock, if you have an ultralight and an airfield.
Or a sea anchor for a kayak
Or...
:)

I have zero DIY skills so everything in my brewery was made by someone else (except the pile of bricks under the kettle which i did all by myself and it only took a few hours and a lot of swearing)

This baby handles up to 40% rye malt without the need for rice hulls.

Falsie.jpg

I have zero DIY skills so everything in my brewery was made by someone else (except the pile of bricks under the kettle which i did all by myself and it only took a few hours and a lot of swearing)

This baby handles up to 40% rye malt without the need for rice hulls.

Falsie.jpg

Fly or batch sparging Doc

BIABbag.jpg

No drilling or dremelling required.
Never had a stuck sparge.
Handy for carrying spent grain to the chooks.
Requires minimal storage space.
Can double as a windsock, if you have an ultralight and an airfield.
Or a sea anchor for a kayak
Or...
:)

You should try soaking that in PBW ;)

ok so it helps keep the shit out of the draining wort, cool i must make one then
thanks

ok so it helps keep the shit out of the draining wort, cool i must make one then
thanks

Hmmm

It keeps the grain out of the draining wort.

Essentially its the same as a bag, except the bag is used in reverse to take the draining grain out of the wort... an arguably simpler approach

If you are a BIABer, perhaps you want a hop blocker?

A manifold is a 'grain blocker'

Back