Show Us Your Hop Scale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
In spirit of 'Show us your empty boiler', 'Show us your airlock' and 'Show us your mash paddle' here is another thread for Hop Scales.

Previously I have been measuring my hops with the 'that looks about right' method, but when a more precise weight is needed, I used the kitchen scales (which are the old school ones).

However, I have invested in a digital pocket scale. It is quite handy and works well. I used the 'that looks about right' method to weigh out 66 grams of hops for a brew day once - I have the '34 grams' left over and have used the hopscale to see how much are actually left. 37 grams. So I was only 3 grams off with using no weighing contraption at all.

Well here is mine. I bought it off ebay. Took just under 2 weeks to get here and cost only just over $20 including postage. You could however find a better deal though.

Cheers
Phil

12022009013.jpg

Mine looks exactly the same as yours, I got it off a mate who sells them on Ebay :p

I bought the same set (1kg max 0.1g increment) off dealextreme.com for $16

They sent me the wrong one though, 100g max 0.01g increment. Still does the job though.

had these lying around from my youth days ;) measures to .01g's too.

Tanita%20Model%201479%20Pocket%20Scale.jpg

had these lying around from my youth days ;) measures to .01g's too.
looks like you could measure cocain on those fents! or other hop related items ;)

mine look like these. Postage scsles. measures up to 30kg in 1g increments.

y0420.jpg

Bought them back in my younger wild days, although I don't recall paying the $90 odd they ask now...

Measures to 0.1g.

In spirit of 'Show us your empty boiler', 'Show us your airlock' and 'Show us your mash paddle' here is another thread for Hop Scales.

Previously I have been measuring my hops with the 'that looks about right' method, but when a more precise weight is needed, I used the kitchen scales (which are the old school ones).

However, I have invested in a digital pocket scale. It is quite handy and works well. I used the 'that looks about right' method to weigh out 66 grams of hops for a brew day once - I have the '34 grams' left over and have used the hopscale to see how much are actually left. 37 grams. So I was only 3 grams off with using no weighing contraption at all.

Well here is mine. I bought it off ebay. Took just under 2 weeks to get here and cost only just over $20 including postage. You could however find a better deal though.

Cheers
Phil
I got the same scale from ebay.
Lasted about 2 weeks then it died.

Forked out for a decent $80 set from lab. hasn't missed a beat.

bought these today, up to 3kg in .1g increments $95 yes i know a fool and his money, but they should last a lifetime.3kg_scale.jpg

You forgot the Imfamous yet short lived "show us your airlock gromet" thread!

How could you forget that one???????????

I use some digital scales that i have had for years but they go up in 2g increments. I have been planning to get some that are more acurate so will be interested to see what comes up in this thread.

cheers

Yuppie scales every one of them !!

I got a set of digital ones from Big W. 5kg max (i think.. can't remember for sure) in 1g increments. Cost around $27 from memory. They work well for weighing both hops and fermentables. When I was searching, I noticed some ebay ones only went up to 100g max. Good for hops, but useless for weighing fermentables, so be wary of that if you're looking at buying some.

From Target here on the island, about $40. There's a cheaper version but the one I got is worth its weight :lol: in gold because of the big metal bowl. I use it for grain additions, dex etc as well as hops. Will go up to 2k in 1g increments and zeroes itself with whatever is in the bowl so that's brilliant for adding say 300 of crystal then zero and add 200 carared then zero and add 50 carafa T3 whatever.

hopscales.JPG

Phil, Jimmy,

Can you tell me where on ebay I can find these nifty little scales?

sap.

Can you tell me where on ebay I can find these nifty little scales?

Once in eBay do a search for 'pocket scales', scroll through the available scales, and then have a look at the sponsored links at the bottom.

Latest posts

Back