Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks mate, I kinda abandoned it eventually because the esky was too big for my needs, 100qt esky... But that looks so easy to do I might make up the bits for some crazy beer some day. I have exact same brand esky so good to know the tap comes out easy, I'd been trying to undo it from the inside where the nipple is hex faced inside. Obviously that was very frustrating.

Currently, rocking an insert with perc bottom in a pot that I'll give a go tomorrow if everything works out. Cheers.

Current brew rig. The day was saved by a shelf!

null-10.jpg

Changing from a single batch 1 vessel system to a double batch electric 3V rims system. Have all the pots/plumbing but not the control box or the electrics. Out of four kegs only 2 left with about a jug or so between them so decided to try it out today.
Can use my 1V control box as it has ramp/soak pid and pump control. Heated up sparge water in urn first as it's insulated then switched to the mash tun, only had a cheap 10A plug to wire the 3600W rims to... Was only doing a mild so should be OK.
Water up to dough in and the plug already drooping and smoking. 30 mins at 69 then 10 at 72 and78. Started pissing down, rig out in the open. Quickly drained the MT and got the sparge water in the MT and ramped up the pump speed a bit to quick so compacted the bed, went and got my sailing wet weather gear on, stirred the mash up and got things flowing nicely. Turned the rims tube back on again, got out of the rain after covering the control box and pump. Checked after 5 minutes and temp has dropped, checked plug and melted.Started transfer to kettle, still pissing down so get pump running hard...compacted again. Eventually got it into the kettle. Was going for 72% eff, ended up with 85% into kettle so that's good. Still pissing down so decide to bring kettle just inside. Pot and 55l of wort bit of an effort to get onto my wok burner, but really good boil. Kettle will be electric when finished but the rambo burner boiled it easy, plus they are awesome for wok cooking.
As I was already over gravity decided to make 2 beers instead of a double of mild. 60 min addition was 20 ibu of styrians, put bit over 2 litres boiling water into cube with 1g/L styrians and filled cube. Boiled the remaing wort till 10 points higher than the mild and drained into cube with 1gL each of cascade and citra. Might dry hop some citra in that one too. Fermenting mild with 1968 and will try the BRY-97 in the other, will be interesting to compare the 2.
Need to insulate the MT and kettle and finish the control box before the next try out.
Pretty happy though, clean up was easier than the single rig too I think.

Brew setup got a run on the weekend and worked like a GEM!! 4 hour brew day including mandatory beers and clean up afterwards. I can now say the AG bug has bitten and I'm not looking back any time soon!

58192_10151771529719400_175496348_n.jpg

tricache said:
Brew setup got a run on the weekend and worked like a GEM!! 4 hour brew day including mandatory beers and clean up afterwards. I can now say the AG bug has bitten and I'm not looking back any time soon!

attachicon.gif
58192_10151771529719400_175496348_n.jpg
Does allowing the grain to rest on a chair before brewing make any difference to the final product, perhaps better efficiency?

lukiferj said:
Nice one tricache! Is this a 2v setup? ie using your hlt as you kettle as well.
Yep and then move the wort back into the kettle, was slightly hesitant in doing it this way but works no problem at all.

yum beer said:
Does allowing the grain to rest on a chair before brewing make any difference to the final product, perhaps better efficiency?
You have to make your grain comfortable, comfy grain is happy grain and happy grain makes for good beer.

tricache said:
You have to make your grain comfortable, comfy grain is happy grain and happy grain makes for good beer.
I'm buying my grain a banana lounge and perhaps a hammock for the hops... :beer:

Yeah, I know, I'm sorry.....hops don't need a hammock... :p

yum beer said:
I'm buying my grain a banana lounge and perhaps a hammock for the hops... :beer:
I was going to get a lava lamp and put on some barry white for my yeast starter...that should get them multiplying B)

tricache said:
I was going to get a lava lamp and put on some barry white for my yeast starter...that should get them multiplying B)
That could lead to some 'funky' flavours, proceed with caution; or protection.

Great looking rig fishy! control panel reminds me of something...

death-star-weapons-officer-20080307033717430-000.jpg

Cool.

Fishy's rig is nuts and I have nothing to compare, but here is my new Keggle that I use for BIAB. Made a couple brews last week and it worked great as an upgrade from my 19L BigW pot from NickJD's method. I use an STC1000 to get the mash temps and use the element to add a bit of heat when needed during the mash. It looses heat a bit too quick so needs a bit of decent sealed insulation. Cut the keggle myself, and all I can saw is thank god for flap discs!! Have since given the "gantry" a cold gal paint job.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Nice one skelly! I got to the point where I was making no progress due to the smallest things on my rig - I almost gave up and I started looking at a bunch of the BIAB setups and wondering whether I should have put my energy into a single vessel build! I'm still considering building one down the track for sure, they are sweet!

Cheers

How are you hanging that over the side element in your keg?

Back