Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone got a MASHPILOT' Turnkey Brewery? the beer :huh: belly ones

I considered it, contacted them, arranged to see one, flew from Brisbane to Adelaide to see it, and there wasn't one to view.

Bought the Sabco instead.

Clutch said:
I considered it, contacted them, arranged to see one, flew from Brisbane to Adelaide to see it, and there wasn't one to view.

Bought the Sabco instead.
Geez that would have been frustrating.How's the Sabco going?

Running like a dream. Could do with a few mods, but it's pretty awesome.

Seeking advice.

I recently began brewing again, biab in a massive keggle. It has reminded me how happy I was the first time to ditch the bag. Time to make another mash tun.

Q: round or square? It is friggin cold here, so probably be an esky this time around. I'm not too keen on a herms atm, that'd just make it all take that much longer to get things sorted... Any reason for a round one over a square one?
The other option is to once again set up a direct fired mash tun with fb and simply recirculate, but that is harder to calibrate and depends so much on getting the gas just right. While that used to be easy brewing outside in nice warm qld, it's not that ideal down here. Maybe I should set up a herms after all! I have nowhere to brew inside, only outside. And I'd end up mking a frame if I'm to make a herms or rims. Power situation is a bit precarious though, old house with too much wired up... Trips wayyyyy easily in winter.

Well, anyone with a bit of advice about my particular predicament would be very welcome.

practicalfool said:
Seeking advice.

I recently began brewing again, biab in a massive keggle. It has reminded me how happy I was the first time to ditch the bag. Time to make another mash tun.

Q: round or square? It is friggin cold here, so probably be an esky this time around. I'm not too keen on a herms atm, that'd just make it all take that much longer to get things sorted... Any reason for a round one over a square one?
The other option is to once again set up a direct fired mash tun with fb and simply recirculate, but that is harder to calibrate and depends so much on getting the gas just right. While that used to be easy brewing outside in nice warm qld, it's not that ideal down here. Maybe I should set up a herms after all! I have nowhere to brew inside, only outside. And I'd end up mking a frame if I'm to make a herms or rims. Power situation is a bit precarious though, old house with too much wired up... Trips wayyyyy easily in winter.

Well, anyone with a bit of advice about my particular predicament would be very welcome.
I think most people would say there is little difference square or round. I personally have a round one, I would say I would have a deeper grain bed than if I was using a convention esky, I am hoping this is of advantage when I later move to herms or rims.
2c

Finished widening the hole to fit the false bottom today, also roughed up the outside a bit with some flap discs!

All the gear is ready, just need a stand!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looked in the skip at work the other day and someone had thrown out a steel framed work bench the perfect size for a new brew stand.

So from this.

image.jpg

I turned it into this

image.jpg

Still need to get some rubber to cover the ply and arrange the cables better but I did a brew on it today and it was bloody great. The brew controller turns 90 degrees against the end of the stand when not in use.

Out of curiosity, was there no way to put the control panel on the other side of the stand so that your cables didn't hand all over the place?

Edak said:
Out of curiosity, was there no way to put the control panel on the other side of the stand so that your cables didn't hand all over the place?
That isnt where I sit it when I brew. I just wheeled it there to get it closer to the light for the photo.

I intend to run all the cables down under the controller and along the frame to the back but I am yet to buy/make some sort of cable management setup. If I move it to the right of that upright in front of the HLT it will block my access to the HLT for filling.

So FWIW I finally won my case with the NSW Consumer Tribunal against the welder who made a mess of my kettle :D :D
One Money Order to pay a nice big Invoice for a brand new kettle has now been made!
I think it's fair to say the Tribunal Member had quite some trouble understanding brewing ins and outs but fair play to them for sticking with me.

Now I (again) have a choice.

I have a HERMS Rig. Only usually run single batches but have space for doubles. (50-50-70)

I no chill 20L into cubes and pitch at my convenience.

What I originally did was buy a nice big stainless coil that fits into a kettle with the intention of using it as an optional chiller.
I still have the coil, I could still pay a little extra to ship it and have it fitted (properly/expertly) to my new kettle.
It is a 50ft, 1/2", 304 Stainless Coil, 10" Diameter. Terminates in 90 degree bends top and bottom (ie; to go through kettle wall via socket/compression fitting)

That would mean I have the option of using it, but I do have a well worn routine of No Chilling so under no pressure to do so, and would only consider it for hoppy beers, not worth it for the Belgians.
So 2/3 of the time it would just be empty/unused on brewday. It's only for the big US hop hits that I got it in the first place.

The alternative is to take a hint! (such as 4 brewless months of pursuing the moron who tried to fit the coil first time out) and just get a kettle, no coil, continue to No Chill merrily, and flog the coil for a few quid. Possibly spend the proceeds on alternative type of chiller.

I'm leaning towards the latter, sell coil, move on.

Certainly looking forward to brewing again after what'll end up being 1/2 a year forced onto the sidelines. :beer:

hsb said:
So FWIW I finally won my case with the NSW Consumer Tribunal against the welder who made a mess of my kettle :D :D
One Money Order to pay a nice big Invoice for a brand new kettle has now been made!
I think it's fair to say the Tribunal Member had quite some trouble understanding brewing ins and outs but fair play to them for sticking with me.

Now I (again) have a choice.

I have a HERMS Rig. Only usually run single batches but have space for doubles. (50-50-70)

I no chill 20L into cubes and pitch at my convenience.

What I originally did was buy a nice big stainless coil that fits into a kettle with the intention of using it as an optional chiller.
I still have the coil, I could still pay a little extra to ship it and have it fitted (properly/expertly) to my new kettle.
It is a 50ft, 1/2", 304 Stainless Coil, 10" Diameter. Terminates in 90 degree bends top and bottom (ie; to go through kettle wall via socket/compression fitting)

That would mean I have the option of using it, but I do have a well worn routine of No Chilling so under no pressure to do so, and would only consider it for hoppy beers, not worth it for the Belgians.
So 2/3 of the time it would just be empty/unused on brewday. It's only for the big US hop hits that I got it in the first place.

The alternative is to take a hint! (such as 4 brewless months of pursuing the moron who tried to fit the coil first time out) and just get a kettle, no coil, continue to No Chill merrily, and flog the coil for a few quid. Possibly spend the proceeds on alternative type of chiller.

I'm leaning towards the latter, sell coil, move on.

Certainly looking forward to brewing again after what'll end up being 1/2 a year forced onto the sidelines. :beer:
hsb, any chance you could take of a photo of the coil, it might suit me,

it has the same surface area as my existing coil but has a larger id which would improve flow

what is the total height of the coil ? and how far out from the centre of the coil do the inlet and outet extend ?

ps. good news on justice prevailing

sell coil, get a plate chiller. I have a 30 plate (I think) and its awesome. One pass to 18° in summer!
Mind you, I live in Bowral and the water out of the tap is chilly all year round, so YMMV.

Glad you won your case too!!!

Thanks all. I will grab the tape measure/camera tonight don but here's a picture that should give a rough idea of inlets.
I believe it is between 10 and 11" in height, but will measure up to be sure. Consider it yours don if it suits and we can agree a price etc..

I think I will go the plate chiller route if and when I feel the need.

And a big thumbs up to NSW Justice. The flake that messed up the welds didn't show for the Tribunal = easier for me dummy.

Yes! Winning is good!

Having touched down from a European flight less than 24 hours before and standing under the bright glare of the office lights in a Judge Judy type setting, mumbling and bumbling as I tried to explain that you can't "weld holes" and that beer really does give you botulism if you No Chill it too much ;) I felt more like Hunter S Thompson than Charlie Sheen, with a long mac and three week beard on, alone in my universe of one. The strangest thing was I did, hash, win!

Back