Show Us Your Beer Engines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top work Vlad.... I really got to get myself a decent beer engine sorted...next UK trip I'm leaving room in the case :)

Cheers Ross

that's a brilliant looking solution there Vlad. I've been thinking about getting a hand pump system going but still working out how best to go about it.

Ok guys, let me handle this one..........

Daz, check the rest of the thread out before you waste our time....ok !!!!

Hmmm....i understand why some get frustrated...

SORRY.......

Was truly an awesome day.

Going to have to pester Duff for the recipe. Was superb drinking it freshly pulled through the beer engine. When I was in England a decade ago I was too young and immature to appreciate the real ale from casks. Drinking Duff's Bitter through Doc's Engine has made me determined to sneak away from the misses when I go there next year on my honeymoon. Could end up being a short union!

Doc, Let me know if you need any more help "testing" out the beer engine again. Always willing to offer a hand.

Saw this post dug up....

That was a great day and an awesome beer pulled through it. Well done Duff!!!

Guess what is going on my Christmas list! :beer:

I'll show you my beer engine. After bidding and missing on several ebay UK auctions, I got this for ten pounds, plus a case of beer for the bloke that brought it out for me. It is jacketed and quarter pint pull I think.

engine.jpg

So I have installed it on the kitchen wall above the sink. There is a dog box outside the window, holding a fridge which has a keg of real ale, and a keg of soda water in it. The fridge was donated by AusDB and has already had the cold plate moved to fit more kegs.

dogbox.jpg

Because Mrs GL likes her soda water spritzy, it runs at 300 kPa. This was a bit much for the input to the aspirator on the real ale, and so I am using an inline regulator between the main reg and the aspirator.

gas.jpg

I also found that a corny keg dip tube has too much restriction for the engine. But these old Mytton Grosvenor kegs have a much larger diameter dip tube, so with the poppet pulled out it works fine. If the beer is too gassed, there is too much head and the pump wont prime itself. But after connecting the keg I push the beer to the engine with CO2 and it works fine after that. The soda water also goes to a Pluto gun so I can get a drink when gardening without traipsing muddy boots into the kitchen.

kegs.jpg

Finally I built a box to tidy up the workings, and it all seems to be working fine.

pullingpint.jpg

Besides lucky bugger GL all I can say is....

lucky bugger.

Looks fantastic. :beerbang:

Edit: Ingenuity itself. It looks like you can draw yourself a pint while Mrs. GL does the dishes.

Warren -

That really is an outstanding bit of kit GL. I hope to get a beer engine next year on my trip to ol' blighty.

What beer do you have on the handpump at the moment?

C&B
TDA

nice work, don't empty it before next weekend
Yes but you do have to brave the hounds to get yourself a pint :ph34r:
Also best to let someone else get the first few draws to bring up cool beer from the cellar/keg shed. It's really warm and flat the stuff that sits in the cylinder.

nice work, don't empty it before next weekend

It's really warm and flat the stuff that sits in the cylinder.

See heres the problem. I have been drinking from it all day, and if you leave it more than 10 mins between pints it does get a bit warm, I plan to drink a pint every 10 mins from now to swap day, calculate I need another 20 kegs to make it through.

See heres the problem. I have been drinking from it all day, and if you leave it more than 10 mins between pints it does get a bit warm, I plan to drink a pint every 10 mins from now to swap day, calculate I need another 20 kegs to make it through.

Hi, great work. A quick question. If you place the corny in a small fridge, do you run the beer line through a PVC tubing? Do you need a fan in the fridge?

Thanks

I purchased this engine a while ago and set it up with the standard size beer line and had big troubles with foam. I stopped using it and tried to sell it a while, I am thankful that I didn't.

During the week just gone, I bit the bullet and purchased a corny keg lid and connectors to fit 1/2 inch line from the beer in the keg through the keg lid and to the beer engine. I decided to mount the engine on the side of the fridge. I have an aspirator (you can see it in one of the photos) to be mounted inside the fridge for gas replacement. I have ordered a couple of different sparklers to trial and a new drip tray from angram in the UK. I will soon have this setup as I have wanted for a while, well, apart from having a bar inside the house and it mounted on the bar.

what do you think?
View attachment 20678
View attachment 20677
View attachment 20679

Back