Show Us Your Beer Engines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
My Beer Engine arrived this week. All very exciting.
The aspirators have arrived at Kook's so should be here in the next week or so.

The experiments will begin.

Setup the BE tonight to give it a run through with some water to make sure all was functional. All worked well.
Glad I got the 1/2" tubing last week, because that is the size exactly for the beer line to the BE.

So here are some photos to get things started. I hope this thread becomes a wealth of info for anyone setting up a BE for your homebrew.

Feell free to post pics and details of your BE and Real Ale setup.

Beers,
Doc

BeerEngine_002__Small_.jpg

BeerEngine_010__Small_.jpg

BeerEngine_011__Small_.jpg

OH, that's just great Doc , NOW I have to buy a nice, shiny, pretty hand pump to go with my aspirator. Ok where do I get one from please :lol: .

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Doc. That looks great. What does the fitting look like that puts the half inch tubing on to a standard liquid disconnect?

I managed to score a non-return valve that has 1/2" connection on the BE side and a typical 3/8" connection size on the other side to get normal beer line onto for a disconnect.

Beers,
Doc

SO DOC YOU TOOK MY ADVICE AND DONE THE WATER TEST
oops didnt mean to shout

so was i right or wrong about the spare fitting????

DELBOY :p

delboy said:
SO DOC YOU TOOK MY ADVICE AND DONE THE WATER TEST
oops didnt mean to shout

so was i right or wrong about the spare fitting????

DELBOY :p
[post="117105"][/post]​

There seem to be two spare fittings. I guess one could be used if you didn't want to use the 1/2" fitting. Not sure on the reason for the third.

Beers,
Doc

BeerEngine_017__Small_.jpg

Mmmmm... Marstons Pedigree, one of my fav drops :chug:

Looks great Doc :)

cheers Ross...

I left water in the unit overnight to make sure there were no leaks. All good this morning.
Looking forward to using this unit on my German Ale that I dry hopped in the keg.

Beers,
Doc

poppa joe said:
Whats a beer engine...???????????
PJ
[post="117089"][/post]​

PJ A 'Fire engine' sprays water so......
I suppose a 'Beer engine sprays beer :blink: :unsure: <_<

Pumpy :)

Here are a couple of pictures of my beer engine.....

beer_pump1.jpgbeer_pump2.jpg

It is a Higene brand unit, no drip tray and no sparkler, but pours a very nice lightly carbonated drop as is.... and I love it. Really should have got in on the BB, but I am happy to use it at the moment if I plan on finishing a keg.

dreamboat

Marston's and Ind Coope... I've gone for a Burton. :chug:

Warren -

When I have used it, I have been very happy with the result, so I have certainly not considered tracking down a sparkler.

Cheers
Dreamboat

Why is a sparkler not good?

I read that in the North it accepted and in the South it is not.

Perhaps a bit like passing up a bundy in Cairns for a glass of St Peters and v d' v in Melbourne or even 'dura.

kirem said:
Why is a sparkler not good?

I read that in the North it accepted and in the South it is not.
That's about the size of it, but it's not just a question of appearance. A sparkler changes the taste. Many beers from the south of England like Adnams, Harveys and Fullers are ruined by the use of a sparkler. The number of beers that are spoiled by not using a sparkler is vanishingly small. It's worth noting that Champion Beer of Britian judging is done directly from the cask by gravity, so any beer that wins regularly (eg Timothy Taylors Landlord and Golden Best) must taste pretty damn good without a sparkler whatever the Brewery's prefered method of dispense.

I reckon they're ruined more by poor cellarmanship that sparklers. :(

A good example of this is to go and try some Pedigree at about half a dozen pubs... The flavour is all over the shop. <_<

Pedigree is a bit like the little girl with the little curl. When it's good it's very, very good when it's bad...

Warren -

Latest posts

Back