Show Us Your Beer Engines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and here comes.....my zwickel:

2440.JPG

Cheers :party:

Organised an outside bracket for my beer engine, all ready for the summer bbq season (well its only a few months off; I'm organised).

Beers,
Doc

BeerEngine_034__Large_.jpg

New avatar Doc?

Looks like a shifty gynecologist. :lol:

How's the engine been working for you? Have you pulled many successful pints yet? :)

I like these threads... One can dream. B)

Warren -

New avatar Doc?
Looks like a shifty gynecologist. :lol:

How's the engine been working for you? Have you pulled many successful pints yet? :)

Shifty gynecologist isn't quite what I was aiming for :p

It has pulled a few pints, but next weekend it will get a through workout. Just hope the beer we will be pumping isn't too carbonated.

Doc

It has pulled a few pints, but next weekend it will get a through workout. Just hope the beer we will be pumping isn't too carbonated.

Doc

Boy the heat's on now...

Doc

Boy the heat's on now...

A bit late with the photos, but they are now in the gallery.
The beer was perfect Duff. I can still taste it, after having my memory refreshed by the photos.
I've also put the pictures on Flickr here. Also a little bit of detail of the event here.

Beers,
Doc

Was truly an awesome day.

Going to have to pester Duff for the recipe. Was superb drinking it freshly pulled through the beer engine. When I was in England a decade ago I was too young and immature to appreciate the real ale from casks. Drinking Duff's Bitter through Doc's Engine has made me determined to sneak away from the misses when I go there next year on my honeymoon. Could end up being a short union!

Doc, Let me know if you need any more help "testing" out the beer engine again. Always willing to offer a hand.

I have just picked up 2 Hi-Gene model H Deluxe beer engines.
One of them is pretty much standard, with a sparkler, aye lad a bloody sparkler!, the other has a strange looking tap on the swan-neck.
The tap has to be open before the pump will operate. Does anyone know about this, what it is meant for?
The manufacturer was not much help as the units are no longer made.

pump3.JPG

pump.JPG

Hey Vlad,

The strange looking tap looks like what you use to switch the flow on and off. ie, The top part flips down and beer comes out the base of the tap. My apologies for the lack of descriptive words, but I've had a few beers this arvo.

Edit - Okay. I've re-read the question and have no idea why they have the tap. I'm getting back to my beer...

Rukh

The one with the extra tap hasn't been reworked for standard kegged lagers has it? Some of these were made for side by side serving of ales and lagers in order for the bar to "look authentic" and the pump function doesn't actualy work, they were a standard tap like we have here.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew -
that was my first impression too, but no it is a fully functioning engine that has grown a tap on its neck.
It is a factory fitment not a bodgey job, and there are no other attachments that suggest a keg/co2 setup.

Strange indeed Vlad, let us know if you find the answer, I can't for the life of me think of a reason to need a tap on a beer engine :blink: .

Cheers
Andrew

Maybe the "extra" tap is so you can give the aspirators etc a miss and just run low C02 pressure into the cask. Tap eliminates any risk of the beer running out spontaneously.

Or not...just guessing

Just recieved an e-mail from CAMRA, apparantly it is just there to close off the swan-neck after use.

Thank you for the e-mail and the photos. From what I can see one handpump is fitted with a swan neck the devices first introduced about 10-20 years ago to reproduce the old economiser type pumps used in Yorkshire to serve beers such as Tetleys where there was a short spout to the handpump fitted with a tight sparkler through which the beer was forced resulting in lots of frothy head which flowed over the glass into a large drip tray and hence via a filter at the bottom of the tray through a pipe which reconnected to the beer line. When such devices were condemned as being unhygienic the swan neck system was introduced . To use it correctly you need to hold the glass so that the tip of the outlet pipe is touching the bottom of the glass the handpump pulled and as the glass fills the glass should slowly be lowered until the glass is full and there is a tight creamy head.

The traditional handpump outlet was a short spout just like in your second pump, the rollover valve or tap was there to seal the beer line pump after use. There are still lot of these pumps about where they have not been re[placed by swan necks. The tight sparkler whilst suitable for serving beers such as Tetley tend to knock condition out of many southern (i.e southern England) beers such as Adnams, London Pride etc which should not be served through tight sparklers.

Hope this is of help

Going to have a christening party for them Vlad?

Brew day ! :D
Were those the ones in the quokka Vlad ? 2 in there this week...was tempted, but haven't researched it enough yet.

Been playing with me engine, trying to get a satisfactory connection to the keg.
The pump does not like pulling fluid through the tiny hole in the disconnect, too much effort at the pull and a lot of squealing from the seals.
Removing the disconnect and slipping the hose over the threaded spiggot was quite good but I got a lot of bubbles in the line and a jerky pull.
So this was the final solution, a CPC female buklhead fitting in the lid of an older Firestone type keg and the male on the tube to the engine. It works well and the female can stay in place while the beer secondary ferments, as it is self sealing.
I got the CPC's from Craftbrewer.
View attachment 14403IMG_0027.JPGIMG_0028.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 71

Latest posts

Back