Show Us Your Beer Engines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here it is.....
I’m still working on it but its doing ok thus far, this is my London Pride attempt 2.
I used the sparkler as I too like the creamy effect however this takes away some of the bitterness, without the sparkler it is definitely more bitter but feels flatter and head retention is less, I took screen shots from a video to try and show the stages of the pour and settle
Flatter and less head retention (than northern UK bitters) is exactly how London Pride is supposed to be.

If you prefer it creamier but find it’s not bitter enough, then up your bittering hops and continue serving through the sparkler.

It won’t be the perfect example of a UK cask bitter that London Pride normally is but should be a good beer all the same.

So here it is.....
I’m still working on it but its doing ok thus far, this is my London Pride attempt 2.
I used the sparkler as I too like the creamy effect however this takes away some of the bitterness, without the sparkler it is definitely more bitter but feels flatter and head retention is less, I took screen shots from a video to try and show the stages of the pour and settle

View attachment 112103View attachment 112104View attachment 112105View attachment 112106
As it gets cooler i will be migrating away a bit from my summer ales back to my angrams pump. Better get some nice real ales on the go.

Received this old beer engine as a Birthday Present recently and have started restoring it.
Not a great deal of info available on it on the internet and was hoping somebody on the forum has something on it.
I have contacted the UK seller to get some more information but yet to hear back from them.

Attachments

• 20200516_164005.jpg
    20200516_164005.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200507_170206.jpg
    20200507_170206.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 61
I am thinking it was made by Gaskell & Chambers but not found any markings on it to suggest who was the manufacturer.
As it was missing the swan neck/tap this would have helped narrow it down to era made as well.

I bet that's pulled a few pints, they were usually marked on either the cylinder or the brass lever that shows when the handle was pulled, it certainly looks old with the linkage operating the pump.

I have looked all over the lever and the cylinder and only the number '2' stamped on them so assume it was No.2 in a set of '?'.
Getting a replacement cork gasket for the piston is unlikely and will probably need to get this made up.

Attachments

• 20200521_154049.jpg
    20200521_154049.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 23
D430A84F-CE6E-4B62-8576-C47E136A687B.jpeg
415349D7-DAE4-4170-A54C-8602730385AE.jpeg

This is our brew clubs engine. If I could drink beer one way only, this would be it. It’s not very practical but I got a 5 litre keg recently just for this purpose. I drilled out the tapping head and welded a SS tube in, and cut it to around 3/8” short of them bottom ( it’s domed so most of the yeast is around the sides of the bottom of the keg ). 5 litres of low 3% beer is perfect for a Sunday arvo. And if you eat crackers and Stilton you don’t end up too messy haha. These pics are from the test run last weekend. It worked great.

I’ve wanted my own for a long time and I’m going to get one for Xmas, or maybe even tax time if I get anything back haha. Very hard to find new ones, but I think I’d prefer to pay the extra for new and not tell my wife how much it cost.!

Got to agree there is no better way to drink a beer, told this story before I went to Leicestershire last time I was in the UK to taste the beer where the curd from a Stilton cheese was incorporated into the brewing process. Unfortunately the brewery had closed, so never got to taste it.

Alhoare, could that cork be reclaimed by soaking it to make it swell?

Got to agree there is no better way to drink a beer, told this story before I went to Leicestershire last time I was in the UK to taste the beer where the curd from a Stilton cheese was incorporated into the brewing process. Unfortunately the brewery had closed, so never got to taste it.

Alhoare, could that cork be reclaimed by soaking it to make it swell?
I actually did a bit more digging on the internet and believe it is a compressed leather gasket.
So might have to speak with my old mate who made leather knee scrapers for bike racing.
I'm sure he can manufacture up something nice out of fresh new cow or kangaroo.

Back