Show Us Your Beer Engines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks I’m waiting for a few bits in the mail before I can get it all put together.

Thanks I’m waiting for a few bits in the mail before I can get it all put together.
iam always waiting for stuff to arrive, sure makes going to the mail box a pleasant experience .

my setup is pretty much as you described in this post, adjustable reg at 8 psi feeding 2 draft kegs and the pump via an LPG reg and demand valve, as you correctly state anything above atmosphere will cause dripping, a collapsable vesel or bag full on co2 is the other option, imo the pump works best with a vessel slightly below the engine but you generally have to prime a little before your first drink in a session, the demand valve adds some more resistance to the pump handle as its a significant diff pressure before it opens.

i love a sparkler regardless of style, the creamy head is really where the pump shines, your bar saetp looks goot so many happy returns,

cant see it being a problem, just remember you have to replace the head space if its in a rigid container.

Thanks mate
So if I carb to 1.3 over say 5 days
will the bbq reg supply enough pressure during serving to replace without adding to carbonation? Or will the keg still want to collapse/vacuum lock? And is it advisable to turn off the gas feed to this keg when not in use.

iam always waiting for stuff to arrive, sure makes going to the mail box a pleasant experience .

Amen.! I am a newly returned brewer. Had the whole 400 plus king browns 10 years ago trying all sorts of things and got sick of it but have decided to give this a go

No problem, I often go straight from primary to cask. You can shorten the dip or use a widge if you have one. If not just use a bit of silicone tube cut short without a widge will work.

Only cold crash to around 12c will keep the yeast happy and working.

Excellent good advice there. Fridge is controlled by stc1000 so should be right

Thanks mate
So if I carb to 1.3 over say 5 days
will the bbq reg supply enough pressure during serving to replace without adding to carbonation? Or will the keg still want to collapse/vacuum lock? And is it advisable to turn off the gas feed to this keg when not in use.
the bbq reg will feed about 3 psi max, a little bit of carbonation is fine, you just dont want it to be fizzing out in the glass, trust me you will know you have it just right when you see that beautiful tumbling cascading head settle just like it came out of a can with a widget in it.

the bbq reg will feed about 3 psi max, a little bit of carbonation is fine, you just dont want it to be fizzing out in the glass, trust me you will know you have it just right when you see that beautiful tumbling cascading head settle just like it came out of a can with a widget in it.

My preferred ale is London Pride,
I don’t really like it as much in the bottles as it is more fizzy then on cask. Also it’s stronger.

Also Ringwood Best is amazingly easy to drink. I think it’s been rebranded as Razorback now good session beers only 4ish %

My preferred ale is London Pride,
I don’t really like it as much in the bottles as it is more fizzy then on cask. Also it’s stronger.

Also Ringwood Best is amazingly easy to drink. I think it’s been rebranded as Razorback now good session beers only 4ish %
Had a few LPs over there this year, personally i like the wells bombader in the dark ales and the moreland hoppy hen in lighter ales on the pump, i generally drink morelands speckled hens in the bottle/can when i go to my favorite indian BYO. they do bombadeer in the bottle as well but its not the same, spitfire goes well in the bottle as well. across the irish sea smithwicks on the pump is awesome.

Amen.! I am a newly returned brewer. Had the whole 400 plus king browns 10 years ago trying all sorts of things and got sick of it but have decided to give this a go

Are you from Uk? It’s unusual for locals to be familiar with Cask Widge. I think Keg King do something similar these days.

Are you from Uk? It’s unusual for locals to be familiar with Cask Widge. I think Keg King do something similar these days.

Nah mate just an Aussie who went backpacking and loved the beer. It was a long time ago but it has never left me.

Nah mate just an Aussie who went backpacking and loved the beer. It was a long time ago but it has never left me.

Ok, well I think Keg King and others here have a floating dip similar to the Cask Widge these days if you need them.

its pretty contentious, i have family and friends in the UK we visit regularly and cask beer is my go to when iam there, just a bit sad there isnt much of it over here, i always google what camba beer festivals are on while iam there and get to them is practical, hope to get to this one this year,
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/wh...warwick-beer-festival-return-warwick-13175022

went to this one last year.

19875432_1513275078737267_6160060222636173251_n.jpg

It’s another world. If you are ever in Berkshire I highly recommend the George and Dragon in Swallowfield, The Elm Tree at Beech Hill or in Oxfordshire the Blue Boar at Longworth

It’s another world. If you are ever in Berkshire I highly recommend the George and Dragon in Swallowfield, The Elm Tree at Beech Hill or in Oxfordshire the Blue Boar at Longworth

from an aussie perspective berkshire aint that far away form warwick, just on the other sie of the cotswolds really, but never been down past bath.
literally tens of thousands of those types of places, we went over to norfolk last time for a few days to catch up with friends, really nice county,

So here it is.....
I’m still working on it but its doing ok thus far, this is my London Pride attempt 2.
I used the sparkler as I too like the creamy effect however this takes away some of the bitterness, without the sparkler it is definitely more bitter but feels flatter and head retention is less, I took screen shots from a video to try and show the stages of the pour and settle

IMG_0743.jpg
IMG_0744.jpg
IMG_0745.jpg
IMG_0746.jpg

The same beer in bottles is remarkably different, this is a bottle from the balance that didn’t fit in the keg, 4 weeks old, carbonated with only 1/2 a drop per bottle as I wanted the ale to be lightly carbed to style, bite how much clearer it is
IMG_0747.jpg

Hi mate yes the top pictures are from a corny keg the bottom picture is a bottle of the same batch

Back