Show Us Your Beer Engines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Hi-Gene engine has been playing up, so I ordered a seal kit from CFBS in UK.
The package arrived on the 7th July and was postmarked 3rd july in Yorkshire. Is this a record?

Anyhoo back to the beer engine, the new seal kit still didn't fix it, not getting any suction at all, ideas anyone? (keep it clean Sinkas).

The package arrived on the 7th July and was postmarked 3rd july in Yorkshire. Is this a record?
Bloody must be...I recently got a birthday card from my uncle....my birthday was in march. I thought that was fairly good. Then I remembered that my uncle died over 12 months ago.....so it was obviously meant for last year. :lol:

Yes that's normal for British pumps one full pull gives a half, 2 for a pint.

Memories of working in a pub many years ago.

:icon_offtopic: the biggest load of bull was the handpump handle on the bar that activated a microswitch that pumped an exact measure by electric motor.
looked authentic though.

Yes that was a shame because electric pumps could deliver real ale quite 'authentically' as they were not doing so by CO2 pressure. There were some very nice electric pumps often displayed on the bar top with glass cylinders and chrome pistons passing from side to side as the beer was dispensed, loved to sit at the bar and just watch them working. The copper coloured beer in the cylinders was like a beautiful stained glass window.
The fake handpump arrangement however was pure kitsch.

Yes that was a shame because electric pumps could deliver real ale quite 'authentically' as they were not doing so by CO2 pressure. There were some very nice electric pumps often displayed on the bar top with glass cylinders and chrome pistons passing from side to side as the beer was dispensed, loved to sit at the bar and just watch them working. The copper coloured beer in the cylinders was like a beautiful stained glass window.
The fake handpump arrangement however was pure kitsch.
Hey, I remember them!!!

Greenhalls bitter IIRC, some even dispensed into the early 80's in Cheshire... the words 'ind coope' come to mind...

my beer engine leaked from the same spot. I pulled apart that bit, seal looked ok so I just lubed it up a bit, put it back together and it no longer leaked.

might just need to be lubed and tightened?

Jez

Thanks Jez,
i will give this a go, it can't hurt anyway. What type of lube do you guys use and where do you get it from?
i can't see myself having 2 hand pumped beers on tap at once very often, so i don't mind if the second pump has slight leak.

Off'y

Jez,

I owe you one warm flat pint of hand pulled ale mate, no more leaks on either pump. It uses an o-ring or two similar to a gland seal on the shaft.

The traditional handpump outlet was a short spout just like in your second pump, the rollover valve or tap was there to seal the beer line pump after use. There are still lot of these pumps about where they have not been re[placed by swan necks. The tight sparkler whilst suitable for serving beers such as Tetley tend to knock condition out of many southern (i.e southern England) beers such as Adnams, London Pride etc which should not be served through tight sparklers.

Vlad

I thought that is what the tap on the end of the swan neck was for, I remember reading your post a while ago now because I remember thinking at the time how discussing it was that they fed the slops back into the cask. :icon_vomit:

How well does that particular swan neck pour a beer?

I notice in you picture that there is something, maybe plastic, screwed to the end of that swan neck, is this just a sparkler?

When you say that your pump has no suction can you clarify this. Where have you checked for suction at?

Offline- The engine with the appendage has been sold, it was a rollover valve that closed the spout off to prevent spoilage. The plastic thing on the end of the other one is indeed a sparkler.

The engine just does not suck anything up as it should, leading me to believe that the seals were faulty, changed 'em and it is the same. I didn't go overboard with the lube (technical white grease), as you should not have to depend on it rather than the seal.
Most probably something really simple.

Seems my little bro has come to the party. When he visits us from the UK next month he will be bringing me this.

BeerEngine.jpg

BeerEngine2.jpg

It looks a little different to the ones posted in this thread.

I am trying to convince him to bring me another one (4 people flying over, 4 suitcases........). He is already on the scrounge for extra clips and other memorabilia for my bar. :beerbang:

Duuuuude!

Is he taking orders? :D

Cant wait to pop around to help sample its contents!

You should tell him they should travel light so they can fill up the suitcases on their way back with soveniers thereby creating space in the suitcase for beer engines. Make sure he brings along an aspirator (can run multiple kegs off one) and check valve (one for each engine) for you as well.

Font clips are cheap as chips on ebay. See if he can get the drip tray and holder to go with the engine.

I take it that you are also building a granny flat so Butters can move in with you? B)

muckey did offer to help me build it! :lol:

always looking for a good home for butters :D

the further away from my kegs, the better :ph34r:

edit: ps DrS - waiting for the pumpwarming invite :icon_drunk:

It would be nice if this thread got back on topic.

Very nice indeed Scotty, the "bar" needs re-staining though.

Does that mean that the shipment has arrived Scotty?

or have you had it sitting around unused?

Off'y

Back