Show Us Your Beer Engines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smurto
I hope it has a bloody sparkler. :lol:

I'd respond to the jibes against me, but some people might get the hump that it's too far :icon_offtopic: ............... :rolleyes:

Doesnt look like it has a sparkler, brother lives in London so i assume its a southern pump!

I have asked him to pick up a few for me so i can see the difference.

I've asked for an aspirator as well, will ask for a check valve (although i will have to read up on what they are..... :( )

About thirty years ago when I was in a Shepherd Neame pub at Sheerness waiting for the ferry to Flushing in Holland the guy had made his own sparkler, which consisted of a bit of copper pipe hammered till almost closed at the bottom end, and jammed up the swan neck. On pumping the beer came out almost like a Tetleys. I don't know what possessed him to make that mod, probably all the Yorkshire bastards heading to Holland for the cheap legal dope and stopping off for a few pints at his pub :p

I've run some 'brewery conditioned' beer thru the handpull, have a MO based beer fermenting at the moment to cube up.

This is a really nice pump, came from Alistair at http://www.beerengines.com/ . Has been reconditioned and has a great action. They ship via air, so left the UK one Monday, arrived in Aus on the Friday!

I do believe it is heading to the Nationals ...

Scotty

Doesnt look like it has a sparkler, brother lives in London so i assume its a southern pump!

I have asked him to pick up a few for me so i can see the difference.

I've asked for an aspirator as well, will ask for a check valve (although i will have to read up on what they are..... :( )

Check valve goes between the keg and the pump - basically it works by not allow beer to be "pushed" into the engine, only "pulled". Some people use these instead of the aspirator and then allow the beer to be carbed. I believe it will also prevent the beer in the line from flowing back into the keg as long as all the connections provide a nice seal.

Check valve goes between the keg and the pump - basically it works by not allow beer to be "pushed" into the engine, only "pulled". Some people use these instead of the aspirator and then allow the beer to be carbed. I believe it will also prevent the beer in the line from flowing back into the keg as long as all the connections provide a nice seal.

:rolleyes:

You'd think i would be able to work that out for myself...... but no!

Cheers cdbrown :icon_cheers:

p.s. and to those of you who have PMed, sms'ed the answer is no. Bro is bringing back one and one only. :D

A few questions for the beer engine knowledgeable.....

Does this cask breather/aspirator look ok - Link

And how about this check valve - Link

Very excited, got a nice WY1469 yeast cake to be split into a few bitters ready to be pumping the day the engine arrives! Already have the spare gas line in place :D

Yep, both are good and I got both mine from barley bottom as well.

Very good service and was very happy with them.

Jez

I thought getting 3/8" line here for the inlet might be a little difficult so I just ordered 2 metres from barleybottom when i ordered my breather & check valve:

http://www.barleybottom.com/menu/product/&ID=147

It doesn't say the brand but it's the valpar fexmaster II that Ross sells so maybe he can source some if need be. In my order Barleybottom also included a metre of 1/2" tubing for the check valve outlet to the engine and a 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor (that I haven't had to use) for free.

Jez

I finally got to caress my beautiful handpump last night :unsure:

That didn't sound dodgy at all! :ph34r:

Its not only a thing of beauty but its solid. I understand now why my brother wouldn't bring back more than 1 for me. Unlike a few i have seen which have wooden frames this baby is solid brass from top to bottom.

He did grab both the aspirator and check valve as well as an extra 8 or so pump clips including 2 extra Timothy Taylor clips (1 x landlord, 1 x golden best - the TT mild), a ruddles, deuchars IPA and a few others.

Now all i have to do is figure out how to set it up and to knock the carb out of my bramling cross bitter so i can serve it through the pump.

And Butters, it came with 2 sparklers! :icon_cheers:

sounds nice...had a look back at a few pages and saw the pics, solid brass eh? Definately looks the goods.

If you ever need anyone to come up and check to see if your beers taste any good through the pump - just let me know :icon_cheers: :beer:

Cheers
Phil

Had to attach it to the bar and take some happy snaps.....

beer_engine.JPG

beer_engine2.JPG

beer_engine3.JPG

clips_etc.JPG

:icon_chickcheers:

I think this should be made portable and brought to 3G's case swap! :icon_cheers:

Had to attach it to the bar and take some happy snaps.....

Hey Dr.
That is a thing of beauty! You lucky p**ck...
I know you're in the hills there, but do you ever get down to the Bull and Bear? I was there a long time ago, before my passion for beer was realised, but I reckon they had a hand pumped beer there. If you do go, does it still exist?

Back