Show Us Your Beer Engines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not quite.
The ale in the keg/cask is at approximately atmospheric pressure (flat to taste) and no forced carbonation. the CO2 that is in the ale, is there under atmospheric pressure. The same as it will be in your glass (until it changes temperature). There is no change or very little change in carbonation from keg/cask to glass.

Basically flat beer, any forced carbonation will result in your ale pushing itself up the line and through you beer engine and out the spout. A beer engine doesn't shut off the beer line like a modern beer tap does.

Carbonate your beer to 1 atmosphere or there abouts either by force or priming in the keg/cask, taking into account your serving/storing temperature and draw the beer through the engine and into your glass.

An aspirator is a device that takes high pressure CO2 like we put on our modern day kegging systems and regulates it down to 1 atmosphere. it is there to replace the beer that is drawn out. if the keg isn't open to the atmospher/air then drawing some beer out of keg/cask will result in a vaccum being created.

Hope that ads to a better understanding.

:wacko: :unsure: :wacko: yes and no. When it arrives I will dig up this thread again.

BYB

View attachment 20684

I will post photos of my Bar and kegging setup later , when I can take some acceptable photos.

Regards

Graeme

I brought 2 beer engines back from the UK recently thinking I'd use one and perhaps sell the other, but now after seeing how nice these two look together and reminiscing of all the great ales I guzzled while in London I think 2 will be incorporated into the bar design. Thanks for the inspiration Graeme and looking forward to the pics you promised.

Cheers
-cdbrown

An aspirator is a device that takes high pressure CO2 like we put on our modern day kegging systems and regulates it down to 1 atmosphere. it is there to replace the beer that is drawn out. if the keg isn't open to the atmospher/air then drawing some beer out of keg/cask will result in a vaccum being created.
Great thread guys. I've had a beer engine sitting in the cupboard for ages and now inspired to brew a nice ale for it. Just one question - where can I get an aspirator?

nigh on impossible to source in Australia.
I got mine from
www.beerengines.com
Centriflow Services Ltd
Unit E The Sidings Settle
North Yorkshire BD24 9RP
[email protected]

in the UK. Great service from Alaistair.

Regards

Graeme

Great thread guys. I've had a beer engine sitting in the cupboard for ages and now inspired to brew a nice ale for it. Just one question - where can I get an aspirator?

I got mine from the bulk buy organised by Doc. Maybe start a new thread and see if someone purchased one through the bulk buy and doesn't want or need it now.

Hope that ads to a better understanding.

Kirem

Do the poms over in the UK use such a device or do they call it something else. Can you post a pic of yours. I may e-mail www.beerengines.com to find out about purchasing an aspirator.

BYB

Just a question to the aspirator guys. Can you put a splitter on after the aspirator so you can use it on two kegs with two pumps? Or will I need one aspirator per pump?
I am planning to get two check valves like Doc has - I gather that by doing this I can run standard beer line up to the check valve and not need to do any fancy corny lid modifications. Apparently the check valves will hold carbonated beer at bay up to 30 psi as they only open when a vacuum is created (ie the beer engine is pumped).

Hi Tim
The fancy lid mods are to get a larger diameter line. The actual dip tube in the keg and the poppet in the post restrict the flow and some pumps squeal and cant get enough flow. I havent changed the lid, but I use older Firestone style kegs, the dip tube in these is about twice the size of standard cornies, so if you pull the poppet out of the post it draws OK.

Ok, I'm curious - what's the wine bottle for? Looks to be connected to something. :huh:

its got high alcohol water in it with the probe for the fridgemate sitting in it.

Looking good Kirk.

Do you use your normal CO2 cylinder with the cask aspirator?

I am hoping to have mine set-up by the end of January. On the look out for a second hand bar fridge at the moment.

C&B
TDA

A few crappy phone pics showing aspirator fitted along with new handle and pump clip.

Image014.jpg
Image015.jpg
Image017.jpg

Slightly :icon_offtopic: but I'm picking up some kegs onthe weekend and I'm hoping to make a caravan pump beer engine until I can get the rest of my kegging gear. I was wondering: At what rate would you prime an english ale in the cask/keg?
I know that carbonation at serving is basically just residual at ambient pressure but what rate per litre should I prime to get the appropriate amount of residual CO2 once I have vented through the release valve? (my version of putting in a soft spile)

I know this is probably one of those "it depends" questions but opinions, advice?
Cheers!
Jono.

Slightly :icon_offtopic: but I'm picking up some kegs onthe weekend and I'm hoping to make a caravan pump beer engine until I can get the rest of my kegging gear. I was wondering: At what rate would you prime an english ale in the cask/keg?
I know that carbonation at serving is basically just residual at ambient pressure but what rate per litre should I prime to get the appropriate amount of residual CO2 once I have vented through the release valve? (my version of putting in a soft spile)

I know this is probably one of those "it depends" questions but opinions, advice?
Cheers!
Jono.

Note how kirem and Vlad have modified the lid of the keg.
I have done likewise.
You may have to do the same . You may have difficulty sucking
beer out of the Beer out post using a normal disconnect and beer out post and dip tube.

Regards

Graeme

Cheers Graeme,

Yeah, I'm getting a spare lid to put a 1/2" bulkhead fitting through.
If the pump size is right, I might even just mount it directly through the spare lid. I'll have to wait til I get it in my hot little hand to measure it though.

Jono.

Keg modification:
I have the polysulfone disconnect, on crafctbrewer,, they say it seales shut when you pull them apart, however mine doesnt..?

is the type of tubing you use for the new diptube critical, ie is there a particular type I should use, vlad?

Back