Should I get into kegging?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how mine is set up. The long line runs from the regulator to the end of the manifold with those other lines heading into the kegs.
You can use a dual pressure regulator but it's not really necessary unless you want different beers at different carbonation levels.
One thing I'd suggest with the manifold is to take all the valves and other threaded parts out and coat them with thread sealant or silicone then put them back in, they have a tendency to leak gas otherwise.
IMG_20180803_104014.jpeg
IMG_20180803_104031.jpeg

Yep, unless you want to carbonate at different pressures for different styles then you only need a single regulator. If you're running >1 keg, you'll need a manifold (or line splitter).

Ok - all bits n pieces ordered ... I ended up going the ultra taps - just need to get a CO2 bottle. Happy days :)

The first reg that you posted is if you want 2 different pressures for different kegs, some styles might like a higher carbonation level. The second reg will supply that 4 way manifold, then you run a line from each valve to your kegs. If you get that manifold connect it up and then submerge it in a bucket under pressure to check for leaks. I had a leak where one of the valves screw in, just took it out and used a thread sealing compound to seal it. If you're only going to use 3 of them get yourself a plug that kegland sell too, https://www.kegland.com.au/1-4-inch-bsp-stainless-hex-plug.html removes the chance of a leaky valve as these aren't the best quality.

Thanks mate - Rocker also mentioned leaks on the manifold... I would assume gas grade Teflon plumbing tape would do the job ?

Also reading the details on the manifold, you get a bit of a pressure loss & says to run the regulator a few PSI than what you would expect ... is that right?

From Kegland website:

"Please note that due to the check valve mechanism there is about a 2 psi pressure drop over the ball valves in these manifolds. You will need to set the pressure on the regulator about 2 psi higher than the desired pressure in the keg."

Last edited:
I tried Teflon tape on my manifold and it did **** all, but I don't know if it was gas grade or not. Sealed them all up with silicone about 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since. If I get another one at some stage I'll be doing the same even if it isn't leaking, just in case it starts at some point.

I believe that's true about the pressure drop off. I have mine set to about 13-14psi aiming for about 11 into the kegs. Seems to be accurate as the carbonation appears the same as it did when I didn't have the manifold and had the pressure at 10-11psi on the regulator. In any case it works for me.

I thought about a dual regulator for when I have stouts and porters in there, but I found that they carbonated less than other lighter styles at the same pressure, which was awesome because I didn't have to change anything about my system and the carbonation was perfect.

Not sure if it's the same stuff or not, can't get the link to load, but something like the above suggestion I think would be better. At least then you only have to do it once.

Sent from my Agora 4G+ using Aussie Home Brewer mobile app
The Loctite grey (can't remember the number) pipe sealant is the correct type to use for these fittings. It is food grade and capable of filling more than teflon tape, whereas these should actually be a tapered pipe thread.

A little bit of shameless plug (sorry), but ive got my kegging setup listed in the AHB Marketplace for those in Brisbane.

The Loctite grey (can't remember the number) pipe sealant is the correct type to use for these fittings. It is food grade and capable of filling more than teflon tape, whereas these should actually be a tapered pipe thread.
Yes, I didn't use Teflon tape on mine. I did try it initially but gave up pretty quickly. It's great on my urn fittings though haha. I ended up using some kind of white silicone which stopped the leak. I dunno if it's food grade or not but it hasn't caused any problems. I suppose it's not coming in contact with the beer anyway.

The other advantage of the non fc taps is you can use the self closing spring.

I recieved an angry text this morning while I was at work saying that I can't keep my mini keg in the fridge anymore as the other half bumped the tap and got sprayed with foam (the keg blew last night and I didn't take it out). So I'm in the dog house atm.

I was using a crappy plastic party tap when I first set up my kegs, some how got stuck slightly open. Woke up next morning with 10 litres of beer all over floor. Lucky it wasn't a full keg I guess

Latest posts

Back