Should I get into kegging?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQuinny

Reaction score
I seem to have issues with space ...

20180728_003651 (002).jpg

You've heard of the slippery slope right? Well kegging is that small cliff the just increase your rate of decent, though just another part of said slope.
Do it! You'll love it! Just try to keep the number of taps down to less than what the local Tavern has.

I came home on Friday night with bottle washing paraphernalia ... (bottle tree & one of those spring operated rinsing thingos ...)

The Missus says ... "Why don't we look at getting a new fridge, and you can use the old one for one of those kegorator things, what ever you call them ..."

Me: (Eeek !) "Really ?"

Missus: "Yeah, why not ... you're driving me mad with all these damn bottles ..."

Me: "I love you !"

20180728_001704 (Custom).jpg

This could be a wonderfully awesome keg fridge ...

I came home on Friday night with bottle washing paraphernalia ... (bottle tree & one of those spring operated rinsing thingos ...)

The Missus says ... "Why don't we look at getting a new fridge, and you can use the old one for one of those kegorator things, what ever you call them ..."

Missus: "Yeah, why not ... you're driving me mad with all these damn bottles ..."

View attachment 113077

Wish I had your wife!

Oh .... and another "trick" I played on the Missus, I made a non-alc ginger beer about six weeks ago - not telling her about it ... Cracked one this arvo and said "try this".

Missus: "No ... I don't really feel like a drink this early in the afternoon..."

Me: "Don't worry ... wont hurt you."

Missus: "What is it?"

Me: "Smell !"

Missus: "Ooh, that's nice!"

Me: "You can keg that, you know ..."

Missus: "Hmmm ... that is nice !"

Working the magic ...

:bigcheers:

View attachment 113077

That pic looks like the kitchen fridge.

Your a brave man.

I'd rather wash one big 19lt bottle than 30 small 750ml bottles. Fill keg, cool, carbonate and enjoy.

kiss your wife, rub her feet and go find some kegs :)

My wife was pretty much exactly the same! So I started kegging a few months back (here's my short thread - https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/another-kegging-for-a-beginner-thread.98078/), it's definitely easier than maintaining bottles and setting up the keggerator was far easier than I thought it was going to be! I haven't posted up any photos because, well, it's a white fridge with some taps on the door and some kegs inside.. not overly interesting!

It can be dangerous having beers on tap but far more convenient and a heck of a lot easier than managing bottles!!

Yep have to agree with Schikitar, I just get into trouble for not returning beer glasses to the shed where the kegs are.

Tips :
Don't go flow control taps, they sound easier to set up, but days end a standard tap on a balanced line will give a better and more consistent pour. Line length calculators are all over the net google is your friend.

Get longer shanks than needed, the excess inside the fridge will act as a heat sink, best to point a fan at them, it will keep the taps cold (colder than they would be at any rate).

Turn your gas off at the bottle after each session. Yes you should have already leak tested everything, but one oring on a post getting damaged could cost you a bottle of gas.

Aim to have a keg or two more than you have taps, blowing a keg and having nothing to replace it with is a real downer when the lads are around for the footy.

Yes.
You should also store your beer in the fridge if you want it to taste as good as possible

Tips :
Don't go flow control taps, they sound easier to set up, but days end a standard tap on a balanced line will give a better and more consistent pour. Line length calculators are all over the net google is your friend.

Turn your gas off at the bottle after each session. Yes you should have already leak tested everything, but one oring on a post getting damaged could cost you a bottle of gas.

Flow control taps: better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them. Good choice when getting into kegging for the first time. You will overcarb a keg from time to time, or you may not like all the excess tubing in your way when you change out a keg (probably more relevant for a keezer). Once you have everything sorted and have repeatability nailed in regard to level of carbonation, then your can sell you FC taps and replace with non-FC.

Not sure about turning the gas bottle off after a session. This tip is at odds with the FC taps view. Take time to get ALL your tubing right, not just the liquid side. Also, let’s say you only drink a beer or two with dinner during the week and turn the gas off except when serving and you have put in a fresh keg to chill and carbonate - it will take forever to carbonate Then again, you could quick carb, but then you would want FC taps as the chances of overcarbonating have just increased dramatically.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back