Should I get into kegging?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recieved an angry text this morning while I was at work saying that I can't keep my mini keg in the fridge anymore as the other half bumped the tap and got sprayed with foam (the keg blew last night and I didn't take it out). So I'm in the dog house atm.

I was using a crappy plastic party tap when I first set up my kegs, some how got stuck slightly open. Woke up next morning with 10 litres of beer all over floor. Lucky it wasn't a full keg I guess

Both stories, a little funny & a little sad at the same time :)

Ok, I searched ... my search generated 10 pages of results. After going through the first five pages and google, I'm going to ask...

I'm looking for a drip tray that will fit on a fridge door that is curved. I saw the magnetic tool tray holders etc, but I'd like to keep with the stainless bar look if possible (I'm trying to impress the missus, remember).

I thought I could get a backing plate 3D printed with a flat surface on one side & slight curve on the other to match the door... I guess I could shape a nice piece of timber as well for that matter. I'm using 100mm shanks, so I don't have a lot of space to play with.

Ideas ?

Q

On the topic of kegging ... mate at work & I were talking... (at the moment, I'm extract / boil brew & he's FWK)

May I ask a question?

If I bottle with a few carb drops in 750ml PET bottles, my understanding is carbonation is done in about a week or so. You wouldn't even think of drinking it at a week. I've tried, it's horrible. I always leave them for at least six weeks before trying one ...

I'm just about to do my first keg. How does forced carb make the beer drinkable in a few days? I don't get that bit ...

(by the way - my kegs are from kegland ...

just jokes :fallingoffchair:)

Q

Beer conditions faster in kegs than bottles, and you don't have the secondary fermentation step if you're using a gas cylinder to carbonate them. That said, I usually don't drink mine in a few days unless the keg goes on gas as soon as I fill it which doesn't happen often, but I have found that they improve a lot quicker.

If I put one in straight away, it's usually carbonated by the next evening and I do drink it, but I can tell it needs a bit of time. A week or so later and it's much better.

How curved is the door? I just used one of the 40cm ones from KK, my fridge door has a very slight curve but I just have my mounting screws sitting out a tiny bit more. I could tighten the up to pull the stainless tight to the fridge but hasn't been an issue. Linky

Damn ... just went to put the regulator on the bottle ... with the $100's worth of spanners I have in the shed - not one big enough for the reg ...

What is it 28mm by the ruler ? - and I was already at Bunnings this morning... damn.

[Edit] Crisis averted ... found a dodgy shifter in the missus tool box ...

Last edited:
Damn ... just went to put the regulator on the bottle ... with the $100's worth of spanners I have in the shed - not one big enough for the reg ...

What is it 28mm by the ruler ? - and I was already at Bunnings this morning... damn.
I use my larger shifters for this.

Today was the day that I fell in love with kegging ...

What a wonderful experience ...

20180811_153632 (Custom).jpg

20180811_154514 (Custom).jpg

Now I have to get the fridge sorted out ... :)

Last edited:
You want to get the keg cold as it will take a long time to absorb the c02

I wouldn't bother with dex but you might as well take the keg off the gas now anyway. Wait until it goes into the fridge then put it back on again.

Today was the day that I fell in love with kegging ...

What a wonderful experience ...

View attachment 113195

View attachment 113196

Now I have to get the fridge sorted out ... :)

You could also do a close transfer to minimise oxidation by hooking the gas on the corny to the fermenter. As the corny fills up with beer the Co2 from your corny (pre purged with Co2), will fill the void in the fermenter.
close system transfer.jpg

That looks interesting ... is the keg just purged with CO2? i.e. @ 0 psi (for want of a better expression).
What sort of fitting is that on the fermenter? I guess it wouldn't matter - if the tube just the same size as the air lock grommet ...

Q

Last edited:
That looks interesting ... is the keg just purged with CO2? i.e. @ 0 psi (for want of a better expression).
What sort of fitting is that on the fermenter? I guess it wouldn't matter - if the tube just the same size as the air lock grommet ...

Q

The Co2 purging comes out through the liquid post, pushing all the sanitiser out till it's '0 psi, or no pressure'. Then the gas disconnects are connected as pictured.

Top of fermenter: Bung>Silicon tube (flexible for a nice air tight fit) > Carbonation Cap> Gas Disconnect
Bottom of fermenter: Vinyl tube> Hose Clips (as the Grainfather conical tap is very big ) > Liquid Disconnect

Latest posts

Back