Should I Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secaboy

Reaction score
I have had my first brew of Coopers Larger on since Friday and it's now Wednesday, OG was 1050 and for the past 2 days i have had 2 readings of 1020 or 1022. I have noticed there is no foam on the top of my brew anymore so it should have fermented.

Or should i just leave it for another day or 2 to see what happens ?

Please help

I would leave it for a bit.

Firstly you need stable readings over about 3 days that are relative to expected final gravity..
Secondly brews benefit from some time spent on the yeast after ferment is finished.
Thirdly 1020 sounds too high for a basic kit (assuming you haven't added in 5 kilos of malt or something out of the ordinary).

What was the recipe and process followed?

He has beefed it up somehow - OG of 1050 is pretty high for a k&k (I apologise for the assumption here but by your description I think it is a safeish bet).

But yeah, 1020 is almost certainly too high to bottle either way.

What temps have you been fermenting at?

Oh, unless the paper in his hydrometer is out?

I haven't beefed up the brew just followed the instruction on the can as this is my first brew only used the 1kg of sugar that came with the pack.

also i didn't use the yeast that can with the can as i thought it was out of date i went down to my local brew shop and picked one up, hopefully i didn't get the wrong one ? Can you get the wrong type?

The temp on the brew has been shifting between 24-26 degree

Id be trying to bring those temps down using ice / wet blankets etc (heaps on info on cooling a fermenter on here) and leaving it till sunday / monday before taking more readings then try for three consecutive readings THEN bottle.

I think most would agree that cooler fermenting (around 19ish for ales cooler for lagers) is the way to go and leaving in ther fermenter for at least a week is definately the go. I dont think I've ever taken a brew out of the fermenter under a fortnight even if I know its finished. Most of my brews stay in the fermenter about 3 weeks to a month (i've been known to forget about them...)

Do you know what yeast you used in the end?

I know it exciting (and slightly worrying for fear of infection) doing your first brew - but patience is the way to go!

honestly can't remember what yeast it was, might go back to the store tomorrow and have a look.

Hi Secaboy,
As mentioned, check your hydrometer. Measure water it should read 1000. If it does not, then check the difference and subtract from the reading you get from your current brew, e.g. 1020. So if your measure on water is 1007, then subtracy 7 from 1020 to give 1013 as the true specific gravity.

Since you have changed the yeast it is hard to tell where your brew should finish. What sort of sugars did you add? Malt, Maltodextrin, table sugar, or Dextrose? Maybe a combination of each? Many HB stores provide pre mixed sugar packs that include various items. These will all impact your final gravity also. Did your brew get above 27 or 30 degrees, this can kill the yeast, depending on what you used?

Just provide some more details on your kit, yeast and sugars? 1020 sound too high.

Fear_n_Loath

Fair enough. I dont think its really going to make much difference.

I say this, and I mean it in the nicest possible way - dont be disheartened if your brew doesnt taste exactly how you imagined. Fermenting at higher temps tends to produce some of the "home brew" flavours that most people hate about home brew. Unfortunately kit manufacturers tend to love advising people to ferment at these temps for some reason. I would suggest bottling about next wednesday (confirm with your hydrometer if you're worried) and leaving it for as long as you can hold off for before cracking one. I'd also be putting half a dozen aside and cracking one a month to see a.) if they have improved with age b.) how much your brewing techniques HAVE improved.

Good luck!
Hope this one turns out well and you return to punch out another batch - then another - then another...

Where are you located? - some one might be able to reccomend a good local home brew store for future supplies and advice.

just measured some water and it reads 1000 this is the kit i have

http://www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/hbrew.php?pid=8

and no the brew didn't reach to 30 degree, will have to find out what yeast i bought.

would it be safe to add the other packet i have from the kit to get that working, or should i leave it alone till the weekend ?

Thanks
Chris

Do you know what yeast you used in the end?

Do you remember what colour the packet of yeast was? Yellow, blue, pink etc... ?

Anyway, dont stress it and leave it for at least a few more days IMO, as said - the same reading over 3 days will mean bottling is safe, especially if using glass....

it was a white packet if that helps
sounds like a stock lhbs yeast, which is usually just us56

more importantly, what temp did you ferment at, (as an avarage)?

you really want to be aiming at 18-22c for a stock yeast....

just done another hydro test and it's still 1020. do i still wait or bottle it, slap it down with experience and try another batch?

Wait. Try swirling the fermenter and leave it another day or two.

Then try racking to a different vessel and leaving a day or two

Then try rehydrating and pitching another yeast. Bottling a straight kit kilo at 1020 is asking for bottle bombs and patience will benefit the brew anyway.

ok cool thanks manticle, i'll try that and leave it till sunday and see what the results are.

Ok so i have pitched another yeast and give the drum alittle shake around now it's been 4 days since i put the yeast in and it's givin me a reading of 1012.

Where shall i go from here ?

1012 sounds good but again, leave it till stable readings over three days. You can then bottle but it will benefit from a little longer if you can be patient. Yeast produces compounds while it ferments that it will then clean up if given the chance.

1012 sounds good but again, leave it till stable readings over three days. You can then bottle but it will benefit from a little longer if you can be patient. Yeast produces compounds while it ferments that it will then clean up if given the chance.

I'm with manticle here. It looks like you are coming home but it might drop even more. Do the three days of readings...then, if stable, don't bottle for a week and let the yeast clean up after itself.

Cheers

Sweet thanks for the heads up guys, i'll do a few more readings and maybe bottle it in about 5 to 6 days.

Will it be a good idea to take the lid off and do readings that way or just keep gettin samples ?

Latest posts

Back