Short Beer Lines... Flow Controller?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekul

Reaction score
I would really like to have celli taps but alas i cannot afford them, in fact i haven't even been able to afford the taps i'm currently using! That aside the thing that really attracts me to these taps is the ability to have really short beer lines, i think that would be cool as.

If i hook up one of these flow controllers http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4253 does that means that i can have really short beer line? My fridge gets so confusing with all the line inside, would be so much easier if if was a lot shorter. Craftbrewer used to have a plastic one as well but its not on there anymore.

What do you all think?

I would really like to have celli taps but alas i cannot afford them, in fact i haven't even been able to afford the taps i'm currently using! That aside the thing that really attracts me to these taps is the ability to have really short beer lines, i think that would be cool as.

If i hook up one of these flow controllers http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4253 does that means that i can have really short beer line? My fridge gets so confusing with all the line inside, would be so much easier if if was a lot shorter. Craftbrewer used to have a plastic one as well but its not on there anymore.

What do you all think?

I have just bought 10 of these micro-matic flow controllers, to go with perlick perl creamer taps which I have also ordered, The idea being that I can deal with any balance issues at the tap and not in the cellar, all our beers are cask conditioned and we have, six different carb levels, spread over thirteen beers, the flow controllers are a simple way of coping with any minor variations at the point of service. They are a good way of adding flow control to taps which do not have it built in.

Have a look at the plastic bronco faucet with the curly hose from craftbrewer. I use these in my fridge (don't have the DIY skills to risk screwing up a fridge to mount taps) - fantastic pour, tolerate short beer lines and are compact inside a fridge.

Goomba

cellis are the best thing ever if you can afford them. I love mine. if your a lazy kegger (ie not having or wanting to worry about carb levels etc) then they are great. beware cheap chinese knock offs. AHB has lots of bad reviews from brewers who have bought them and been burnt. some have had better luck.

the retrofit option mentioned by stephenkentucky is ok if youve got taps. but if you spend ~$50 on that and another ~$50 on a perlick or similar then your up around the cheapest celli price anyway and may as well just go for that. cleaning is simple and easy.

or if you cant afford them, resign yourself to that fact and play with length of beer line instead.

I have recently bought a setup from a fellow ahber which has these installed
http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3490
They simply have jg style connectors and an adjustment knob. The beer line would be less than 1m and are very easy to adjust if you have a longer line to reach a keg on the other side of your chesty if you have one.

I am thinking I will use something similar in my mobile keg setup I'm planning aswell.

fellas read the 2nd post. its been raised as a possibility. ask stephenkentucky for more info or Ross (craftbrewer). best to get it from the horses mouth

Keifer33, these are the things that got me thinking about it. If this works i'd much rather do that. I already have the taps so i can't really justify buying cellis right now.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I drilled some small holes on the keg fridge... with a timber panel with holes that fit bronco picnic tap snug. I have used various diameter beer line and lengths from 1m - 3m ... I never have any pouring issues.

However, I rarely leave the gas on full time, just give it a hit of gas when it starts pouring slow.

Just picked up one of these Flow Control Adapters from CraftBrewer

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4253
Flowcontrol.jpg

I plan to use it on both my perlicks and on a picnic tap setup

Looks like a great bit of kit, but does anyone know how it can or even if it should be disassembled for cleaning?

stux do you know the diameter and type of the fittings on each end of that?

Just picked up one of these Flow Control Adapters from CraftBrewer

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4253
Flowcontrol.jpg

I plan to use it on both my perlicks and on a picnic tap setup

Looks like a great bit of kit, but does anyone know how it can or even if it should be disassembled for cleaning?

Anyone using these? I'll like to know what the owners have found for and against.

stux do you know the diameter and type of the fittings on each end of that?

Ummm,

Beer Faucet :)

Its designed to fit inline between a beer tap and the shank

Anyone using these? I'll like to know what the owners have found for and against.
yes me too... wouldn't mind one in a portable setup.

Edit: if it works

Well, it works absolutely amazingly with the picnic tap setup :)

Simply dial it to no-flow, then open the tap, and very slowly open the flow controller. You will have a perfectly poured glass and a calibrated controller before you know what hit you.

The difference between no controller and controller is amazing. One glass is poured with 100% head, the other as much head as you want. One is flat and lifeless, the other has beading, sparkles and lacing.

beautiful.

attaching some pics to demonstrate ;)

ps: by the time I took the photo some of the 100% foam had collapsed

Before Flow Controller
before_glass___comp.jpg

After Flow Controller
after_glass___comp.jpg

It also works just as well with the actual keg fridge setup.

Gives me a forward sealing flow control tap ;)

The taps do stick out further from the fridge, gives me an excuse to properly mount the drip tray

I've now installed 4 of these on my keg fridge

Frankly, they're awesome :)

I had to do em up quite tight to the shank to get a leak free connection, maybe I should've used some keg lube on the threads?

tuning them is easy, tighten them right up so that there is no flow, then just dial it out until you get a nice flow with all that beer ad style turbulence

the biggest con is that the taps now stick out quite a bit from the fridge, but I find it actually makes it look blingier, and I now I can put my glass on the front of the drip tray while I fill, and push it back towards the fridge to "rest" while I fill other glasses.

There is more subtance to the atmosphere exposed tap/faucet/shank assembly now, so more warm beer in the "tap". But with perlick's the beer doesn't go festy.

Very happy... but I try not to think about how much they cost. When you can get a perlick + ss shank delivered for 50$, the controllers cost more than the taps/shanks

BUT I don't know of any forward sealing tap with a flow controller. And a stainless celli tap would've cost twice as much per tap, and still not be forward sealing, and be lacking the ss shank.

Being able to attack the inside of the fridge with the tubing cutters was worth the price of admission though... so neat. SWMBO is now no longer afraid to open the fridge!

OK good feedback, now how much do they add to your taps? I wondering if they will stick out over my drip tray.

OK good feedback, now how much do they add to your taps? I wondering if they will stick out over my drip tray.

They add 40mm

So far I've only used mine a bit over a week.

Mine I have also found I needed to do it up very tight, a lot tighter than I've ever done a tap up.
Also there is some movement in the shaft which if you push up on the tap allows it to suck a bit of air.

Overall it has made a good change to the tap, a heaps tighter / creamier head, and a lot more CO2 activity in the glass.

QldKev

40mm....bugger.

I'll wait till a "Deal of the moment".....sure to be along in a moment??

They add 40mm

So far I've only used mine a bit over a week.

Mine I have also found I needed to do it up very tight, a lot tighter than I've ever done a tap up.
Also there is some movement in the shaft which if you push up on the tap allows it to suck a bit of air.

Overall it has made a good change to the tap, a heaps tighter / creamier head, and a lot more CO2 activity in the glass.

QldKev

How long are your beer lines now?

Latest posts

Back