Short Beer Lines... Flow Controller?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why not just use smaller beer line?

wont that shorten it up?

I have 3 long coils of 5mm ID line like most but used to run 4mm ID in my fridge and needed half the length.

Why do we use such large beer line in a home brew environment?

Is it so the retailers can sell more by the meter or is there a genuine reason for it?

or another alternative, which seems less fit for purpose... but cheaper

mixer2.JPG

as discussed here

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-...roubles-100151/

these things are available here

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=2686

I'm importing a few of these from the US, I'll have a few extras if anyone interested.
$2.50 each but I'll like pass them off in lots of four, so $10.00 for 4 plus postage you send me a small pre-paid bag?
PM me if you want in, there'll only be a couple of lots.
No I'm not making a profit out of this before the finger shakers start, it's just that a few more could fit in a flat rate box and I thought I maybe able help out some other brewers here.

Batz

I'm importing a few of these from the US, I'll have a few extras if anyone interested.
$2.50 each but I'll like pass them off in lots of four, so $10.00 for 4 plus postage you send me a small pre-paid bag?
PM me if you want in, there'll only be a couple of lots.
No I'm not making a profit out of this before the finger shakers start, it's just that a few more could fit in a flat rate box and I thought I maybe able help out some other brewers here.

Batz

OK there's only one or two lots left, I'll PM you guys who have contacted me when they arrive.

Here's another idea for them

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/resisti...er-flow-control

I reckon they'll be great for my party keg, I always get foaming issues after lugging it to swaps.

Batz

Will be really interested to hear how these work out Batz, from the picture on the chico site they look rough as & I would suspect more foaming rather than less. Though you would think they would work if being sold retail.
The one in your posted pick looks far better.

Cheers Ross

PM'ed about a quad set. I found these a couple days after ordering my taps from Chico :rolleyes:

Will be really interested to hear how these work out Batz, from the picture on the chico site they look rough as & I would suspect more foaming rather than less. Though you would think they would work if being sold retail.
The one in your posted pick looks far better.

Cheers Ross

From what I read Ross there are two sorts, the 'Loctite' brand being the better one. (That's the one I ordered)

Guys I have received heaps of PM requests and I only have a few lots of these so many of you will miss out if you didn't contact me early. I'll check-out my PM's and first in first served.

Hi Batz,

I did some research also & agree the Loctite ones appear to be the go. For those of you that missed out on Batz's excellent offer, we'll have them in stock in approx 1 week, price will be $3.50 each.

Nice find Batz :super:

How have these panned out? Any luck with the flow control?

would be good to hear how these went and if Ross has them in stock yet. Had problems pouring from one of my kegs last night after raising the pressure in it a week ago to bottle some for a mate. Would love an idiot proof solution like this.

those flow controllers look choice stux but im not sure if I can afford them!!!
would something like this work as a poor mans bling flow control?
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1053
The ones that go into the dip tube could be good, but probs need some feedback. concidering solutions for a party keg idea too.

SiphonClip.jpg

Any reason these things won't work? Ususally seen in red colour for tube flow control for siphons etc.

I used the loctite brand mixer things and it made my beer completely foam
i played with more and less pressure, and that made no difference

If people are still wanting to do a bulk buy for proper restrictors from Ross, I'd be down for 2

These have been posted to me from the US guys, but as of today they still have not arrived. Now I'm outta here for a few weeks so your not going to see them for a little while. If you want to hang on for 3 weeks or so cool, if you need them in a hurry then grab them from Ross.

Batz

I know I'm raining on a parade here, but the concept behind an online mixer is that it breaks up boundary layers and causes the slower and faster fluids to mix. In the case of beer lines it will quite simply cause the slowing flow down the lines to mix up and equalize the whole flow. In turn, that will pull on the pressure from the keg to keep flowing faster.

Well, that's the doomsday theory.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have areas of increased sectional volume along the line to decrease pressure. Like online bulbs with barbs for inlet and outlet reducing head.

I know I'm raining on a parade here, but the concept behind an online mixer is that it breaks up boundary layers and causes the slower and faster fluids to mix. In the case of beer lines it will quite simply cause the slowing flow down the lines to mix up and equalize the whole flow. In turn, that will pull on the pressure from the keg to keep flowing faster.

Well, that's the doomsday theory.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have areas of increased sectional volume along the line to decrease pressure. Like online bulbs with barbs for inlet and outlet reducing head.

I'm yet to try them but you seem to have a different out come to most.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-...roubles-100151/

Back