Shire Brew Club

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Sounds interesting - I'm in Oyster Bay, and keep threatening to make the move to AG, but still need a few bits and pieces before I get started. Plus, the house needs work done (like painting and whatnot). Anyhoo, I'm keen to meet up and chitchat about other peoples AG experiences..

Thanks,
AndyO!

Hi,

Sounds interesting - I'm in Oyster Bay, and keep threatening to make the move to AG, but still need a few bits and pieces before I get started. Plus, the house needs work done (like painting and whatnot). Anyhoo, I'm keen to meet up and chitchat about other peoples AG experiences..

Thanks,
AndyO!

as I am probably only around the corner from felon I will bring along my BIAB equipment to show anyone who is interested what it all looks like.
..it looks like a big pot. :)
I will bring the bag so you can see the mythical swiss viole...plus the green bucket.

Engadine is pretty big though ...so it could be a hike from the station.
I dunno where Felon lives in relation to the station.

Very true. I live about 5 km from the train station. I am on a bus route if that helps anyone. At the very bottom end of Kingswood Rd for those that know the area.

Know it well. Love the Pizza Shop down there

About 5 years ago a few local mates and I discussed forming a local brew club. We put a fair bit of thought into it and even sent a questionair out to other clubs in Australia to get some feedback to how they were organised and what they did. We pulled the info into a document but never made the next step. I found it the other day on my work computer so post it here for info / interest. Maybe way too serious for what's planned but if the group morphs into something more serious it's worth keeping in mind.

We even played around with names and a logo.

Sutherland Lager & Ale Brewers or SLAB for short. We thought that may put off some St George brothers from making the hike over so thought that Southern Lager & Ale Brewers (still SLAB), maybe better. I can't find the logo we did back then but did a quick rough of it from memory.

These notes may help any other groups that are thinking about formimg a club. Re-reading them after 5 years there were some good ideas in them

cheers - richard.

View attachment Southern_Lager___Ale_Brewers_Draft_1.doc

View attachment SLAB_logo.doc

About 5 years ago a few local mates and I discussed forming a local brew club. We put a fair bit of thought into it and even sent a questionair out to other clubs in Australia to get some feedback to how they were organised and what they did. We pulled the info into a document but never made the next step. I found it the other day on my work computer so post it here for info / interest. Maybe way too serious for what's planned but if the group morphs into something more serious it's worth keeping in mind.

Sutherland Lager & Ale Brewers or SLAB for short. We thought that may put off some St George brothers from making the hike over so thought that Southern Lager & Ale Brewers (still SLAB), maybe better. I can't find the logo we did back then but did a quick rough of it from memory.

These notes may help any other groups that are thinking about formimg a club. Re-reading them after 5 years there were some good ideas in them

cheers - richard.

View attachment 47701

View attachment 47702
SLAB...LOVE IT!!!!

SLAB is pretty cool

It really depends what sort of club you are after

I really like the IBU model as a sort of unregulated collective - no membership as such but rather 4 - 5 gatherings a year at various members places for a Real Ale Fest or Beer Fest

Participants bring food and beer (for drinking and review) and a good time is had by all

It's not too hard for the IBU to organise these events however any attempts to make the IBUs a club in the traditional / formal sense - seems to send members underground

One of the cons of the above is its very hard to organise a case swap or club comp

Fatgodzilla is probably a good go to person as he has probably attended every brew club in the country at one time or another

Cheers

SLAB....love it!!! definately gotta get some dates for September my shed is available if we cant sort anywhere else......start throwing some dates around :party:

cheers - richard.

View attachment 47701

View attachment 47702
[/quoteSome cracker ideas there Plastic Man!!!!!! keen just to get something sorted hopefully it will come together!!!
cheers humulus

SLAB....love it!!! definately gotta get some dates for September my shed is available if we cant sort anywhere else......start throwing some dates around :party:
Lets get it happening!
Most weekends are good for me in sept other than the one nearest the 27th.

Some great ideas there. Sat 10th Sep or Sun 11th suit me best to have the first catch up at my place. Can everyone else make it on either of these dates? I'm thinking an early arvo time slot. Anyone else got more ideas on times or dates.

I really like the IBU model as a sort of unregulated collective - no membership as such but rather 4 - 5 gatherings a year at various members places for a Real Ale Fest or Beer Fest

One of the cons of the above is its very hard to organise a case swap or club comp

As Gino mentioned, the IBU's are a bit of an anti-club, but none the less the group is engaging and that is the main thing. It is no use formalising things if you do not need to or want to, and it is something that always be done at a later date.

The IBU's have 4-5 events, but started as just one event (Big Ray Day).

scotty

Back