Second disintegrated John Guest T

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixStar

Reaction score
Check this out.

This is the second John Guest T that I've had disintegrate. Must've been a been a bad batch because I got them from GnG.

Wasn't treating them harshly either. Had one go and then checked the other inside the fridge and sure enough - into bits. Luckily no disasters, they still stay closed, no leaks. Amazingly.

Stainless steel from here on in for me boys.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1493096869.337379.jpg

I've had one go recently too....anyone know if you can but spare collets?

If you are using gas line Ts in a kegmate or something where they are going to be a permanent fixture, you don't need to use a John Guest fitting as you won't need to rotate them. So get ye unto an auto parts store and buy some barbed push on Ts that you can get from the hydraulics bits and pieces section.

Cheap as chips, set and forget. Because they aren't being rotated they just sit there welded into the gas distribution lines. Mine are about six years old, forgot I even had them till I saw this post. You cascade them to feed as many kegs as you want.

equal t plastic.jpg

edit: take a short sample of your gas line into the store to check sizes.
TidalPete informs me that you can also get them in stainless.

I've had the same happen to a few of mine. Would also like to know if replacement collets can be bought.

TSMill said:
I've had one go recently too....anyone know if you can but spare collets?
You can, but they are very hard to find in a retail situation. If you deal with John Guest Pacific directly, they will ask you to buy a minimum quantity that would last any home brewer for 100 lifetimes.

Often, collet covers like this:

http://www.johnguest.com/product/pipe-and-accessories/collet-covers/

or collet locks

http://www.johnguest.com/products/drinks-dispense-and-pure-water/accessories/

will protect the collets from breaking.

We (at work) use pushfit connections (SMC or Festo) as industry standard for compressed air. Never seen than before.

Methinks it's a cheap knockoff. I've seen pushfit fittings last decades.

I would have 50+ JG fittings and have managed to break maybe 3 and only when I applied sideways force while twisting to get them apart.

They are original John guest fittings

They must be defective. The plastic was really brittle.

Spot on nosco, I used these in my 4 keg setup for gas and haven't had a leak with them. ( touch wood). They were cheap but good quality IMO and the release tap is oval rather than round for ease of gripping.

Wow they look nice! Thanks for sharing this.

Latest posts

Back