Scared To Drink My Tasty Brew!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it could be something like that, but was uncertain. I will leave them to settle... And drink half of each bottle so no yeast is there.. and see if i can get up the next day. Unless their is an easier way ^.^

Once they're carbed up enough, put them upright in the fridge until the yeast settles out, then when you drink, pour into a glass and stop pouring before the sludge starts to run. No need to waste half your beer, just the last cm or so.

If you can take Tony up on his very kind offer, do so. Learn how to brew.

I've just been raised to be very cautious. Parents were always strict.

It is a very very kind offer. I would love to learn from someone. Having a slight learning impairment, a teacher helps me a lot.

I find that when i put the beers in the fridge, after they get cold they seem to go cloudy. Any reason for that?

I find that when i put the beers in the fridge, after they get cold they seem to go cloudy. Any reason for that?
Sounds like chill haze. There are various proteins that make the beer cloudy when cold, referred to as chill haze. It doesn't effect the beer (for the most part, apart from visually). There are ways and means of getting rid of it if you're fussy. Extended cold conditioning in a secondary fermenter, use of a product called polyclar, etc. Many people don't bother. Some do. It's a matter of choice, really.

mmmmm, if an AG brewer in my area offered for me to come to their place, help out on a brew day and also drink their beer, I wouldn't say no..........

Tony, that sounds awesome. But forgive me for being cautious, but i don't know about meeting you at your house. You know how Rutherford is. I will be sober Wednesday... If your keen i wouldn't mind meeting up at the Rutherford pub.

Just out of curiosity, where abouts are you located in rutherford? I have a feeling i might know you, Rutherford being the big place that it is :lol: .

I'm only 6'2 , 95kg (mostly beergut), and my bench-press is rusting away :p . Beer helps your grow i suppose.

I live just down hill from Rutherforh high school mate, Will PM you the address if your keen to come learn about brewing.

Im not a rapist......... I do have a state brewing championship under my belt, married with kids ect ect.

Im an Electrical Control Systems Engineer working out of the mines and not houso trash. I wont bite.......unless you bring VB to my house.

I have had many many home brewers im my house for brew days and beers/chat inclusing some major sponsors of this site. I understand you being cautions but mate......... i dont trust the rutherford pub!

I will leave tha garage door open if you feel inclined to run for your life :p

I have a nice all grain oktoberfect on tap at the momnet and recon you should bring a bottle of your offending beer over for a taste test.

I will show you how easy it is to get a set up to control fermnetation temp.......... hell there are lots of things for you to learn if you want to learn to brew.............. cans of coopers draught at 27 deg is not brewing, you will see what i mean.

I may line up to do a brew on wed night if you like......... it will be part donr when you get here but my kids go to bed and wife goes to work around 7:30 so before this is not condusive to social activities if you know what i mean.

PM me if your keen or say on here......... im easy

cheers

PS......... im only 5'10" and 80kg so you ave nothing to wory about :lol:

Yeah sounds good. May have to convince my parents :D . (Doesn't that sound quite sad)

I'll see about Wednesday, but I'm not sure. Would next week work for you?

I'm starting to think i know you, even maybe met you. Do you know Stephen Beckett?

Sounds like everyone else has nailed it with all they're hypothesis, also did you use 1kg of white sugar with your kit? White sugar or sucrose can dehydrate you a fair bit, which will worsen your hangover (especially if the beer isnt fully fermented and a fair bit of unfermented sugar is left in the beer) if so try dextrose next time or better yet dry malt extract (dme). Its a little more expensive but will give you less of a hangover and drastically improve the taste of your beer!

Also it may just be possible you caught a bit of a bug, and drinking just made it worse! I've had many horrid hangovers after just a few quiet drinks, yet woken up feeling completely fine after huge benders...

Also it may just be possible you caught a bit of a bug, and drinking just made it worse! I've had many horrid hangovers after just a few quiet drinks, yet woken up feeling completely fine after huge benders...

No, I have had the same feeling before as well. Just to a lesser degree. And another time i wasn't as lucky and i vomited through my nose & mouth. My gf laying next to me wasn't impressed (It didn't get her, a lucky save with a cup :icon_vomit: ), As i promised i wouldn't get drunk the night before she comes over... I wasn't drunk, but i did pay for it. I just put it down to not mature enough. (The beer :p )

I used white sugar. I was just kinda going with cheap ingredients for my first brew, like i'm sure most are i was keen to start brewing as soon as i had the ingredients in my hand.

If your keen i wouldn't mind meeting up at the Rutherford pub.

:lol: I dont think you realise, Tony probably has more beer than the Rutherford pub at his house :chug:

Edit : Not to mention the quality :beerbang:

Dude, you can assure your parents that it's perfectly safe at Tony's house. I made it out safe, mate, you'll enjoy yourself. Why not take your old man with you if they are worried? You know what they say about gift horses...

The biggest worry you have is catching the AG bug

[quote name='BeerBaron89' date='Nov 10 2008, 09:03 PM' post='37471

Tony, that sounds awesome.

Just out of curiosity, where abouts are you located in rutherford? I have a feeling i might know you, Rutherford being the big place that it is :lol: .

[/quote]

Hint---if you go to the local Country and Western music get togethers, that`s where you would have seen him. Just crazy about the music, never misses a meet, specially the Tamworth festival.

staggalee.

Yeah sounds good. May have to convince my parents :D . (Doesn't that sound quite sad)

I'll see about Wednesday, but I'm not sure. Would next week work for you?

I'm starting to think i know you, even maybe met you. Do you know Stephen Beckett?

The name doesnt ring a bell but im hopeless with names.......... never forget a fave but names. No hope.

I had parents that were protective too, i completly understand. You have to be protective these days. Does your dad like to make a brew? Bring him along as well, as schooey said, and he may be keen to get into the hobby with you. AG brewing takes a fair few hours and is more fun with company.

There is a lot to learn with regards to making a tops beer, thats better than what you get at the pub but it can be done with the most basic equipment. You just need to know how, and a look at how its done is worth about 2 years asking questions on here.

You start simple with kits but use select ingredients and methods to make the beer better. Then you go to extract brewing and boiling your own fresh hops......... and it will just steamroll on from there to All Grain brewing.

I have known a fair few people who brewed kits........ or just didnt brew at all and after tasting 1 AG beer, were hooked. You would be suprised how many AG brewers there are just in the rutherford area.

ITs all about quality, producing a beer with flavour, aroma and texture. Being able to control the final outcome in your glass. Being able to brew what ever you want to drink....... Wheat beers, Smoked beers, stouts, english bitters, pilsners, munich Dunkel, Oktoberfest, Porter, adding coffee or chocolate and aging them on oak for wow factor. The posibilities are endless.

It wont happen overnight but it will happen!

Dude, you can assure your parents that it's perfectly safe at Tony's house. I made it out safe, mate, you'll enjoy yourself. Why not take your old man with you if they are worried? You know what they say about gift horses...

The biggest worry you have is catching the AG bug

once you get it its incurable!

Next week will be fine, I may not be brewing as i will be back at work. Im on hols till friday this week.

I will send you a PM and we can organise it through there

cheers

[quote name='BeerBaron89' date='Nov 10 2008, 09:03 PM' post='37471

Tony, that sounds awesome.

Hint---if you go to the local Country and Western music get togethers, that`s where you would have seen him. Just crazy about the music, never misses a meet, specially the Tamworth festival.

staggalee.

I love you too Staggs. secont time ive used this one in 24 hrs.... all in fun of course :)

I hate country music! :lol:

and yes you got me to bite

middle_finger.jpg

Rightio, Well i'll see if i can stop by wednesday @ 7:30 pm? Just need the address if you wanna PM me it.

QQ: Is AG brewing cheaper than kits & commercial? Wouldn't stop be anyways, i figure if Kit beer is better than most commercial beer, home brew is an art worth learning.

Stagga......... is that me in the middle?

People who meet me for the first time look confused and say.......... you look nothing like that hairy guy you have for a picture :)

Will PM Addy now.

If you have the passion for brewing really nice beer, the price is not important. I can make beer for under $1/schooner. The hard bit is getting set up to do it, all the bits and pieces you will need can be explained. Also the time involved in making it. Takes a bit longer than mixing in a Kit and Kilo.

cheers

Back