Scared To Drink My Tasty Brew!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBaron89

Reaction score
Aye guys

I've been drinking my beer which is roughly 2 weeks bottled. I took them to a mates house, and they taste awesome. However, having only about 3 or 4 beers, i felt really really sick the next day. I couldn't get off the floor without thinking i was going to throw up.

I've been drinking since i was 16, and once (stupid teenagers) was dared to drink a schooner of 60% moonshine. Did not throw up (My liver was really bad for a few weeks though). The things you do when you are young...

Anyways, so i am pretty certain its the beer. I am new to homebrew, and as lovely as it tastes i am scared to drink more than one in fear that i will be on the ground unable to get up for work/tafe the next day.

The instructions to my brew says its safe to drink in this timeframe... Coopers Draught... Is it?
Anyways, any help would be awesome.

Cheers,
The Beer Baron

What temperature did the beer ferment at?
Too high can give you some fusel alcohols which give a nasty headache.

Did you drink out of the Bottle and/or happen to mix all the sediment through your beer? :icon_vomit:

unfortunately not enough info here to tell.

as previously mentioned, could have been ferment temp or the yeast in the beer

too much yeast in the beer doesn't work well with some foods ( fruit especially apparently) and can make you very ill

You said it tasted alright - anything particular you remember about the taste as it might give some of the more experienced brewers an idea of what caused this.

It fermented very quickly... mainly 27' in the morning... 24' in the night.

I try an keep the yeast at the bottom as much as possible. Admittedly it was cloudy a bit by the time i got to my mates. But there was still a great deal of sediment at the bottom.

As for the taste, it tasted smooth, very easy to drink. But i'm terrible at describing tastes I'm afraid.

I did notice however with one beer, the head stayed there until i drank it all. It was a very thick froth. I've never had that with a commercial beer. I poured each beer properly into a glass.

And the recipe was a can of Coopers Draught :p

Just out of curiosity... Has anyone else had this kind of experience before? Odd thing though, my friend drank just a bit less than me, and he felt fine the next day. And like i said, i can handle my drink, so this is very confusing to me. I can't really see the difference between (hangover wise) a carton of commercial beer, and homebrew beer.

I left the fermenter going for about 4 days... Maybe next time i should just leave it for longer, rack to secondary like suggested in a filtering thread, and than prime. And see how i go... But i don't have the time/money for a few months. [Applying for jobs/Christmas/gf's birthday/buying motorcycle/tafe/etc]

Anyways any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
The Beer Baron

It fermented very quickly... mainly 27' in the morning... 24' in the night.

Here's the problem, keep your ferment temp down around 20 degrees C and you should be right. Those temps you mentioned will produce the fusel alcohols already mentioned here. These higher alcohols are most likely (99% likely) why you experienced such a terrible hangover

Hopefully your next brew will be a kinder mistress :D

Did you also eat a dodgy kebab on the way home? Might not have been the beer after all... :huh:

Give some to a mate and see how he pulls up the next day. If he is OK it must be something else.

I'm having the beer at my birthday this weekend. I personally would prefer not to blow chunks on my birthday so i am handing the beer over to my mates... (Warning included)... So i will get back to you on that. I think i will stick to a bottle a Jagermeister & V.

(Quick Question: Anyone know anything good that mixes with Jagermeister? I love Jagerbombs but i don't feel like having a heart attack from 4+)

Did you also eat a dodgy kebab on the way home? Might not have been the beer after all... :huh:

No... I was so sick i couldn't even stand the smell of chilli chips my mate was eating! (I love chilli :( )

Got a lift home with mum (Aren't they lovely)... Didn't risk going to McDonalds. I must hand it to myself, i mentally stopped myself from throwing up while she swerved & went over speed bumps without slowing down. Pretty proud :D !

Give some to a mate and see how he pulls up the next day. If he is OK it must be something else.

Yeah, I understand that it could just be me... (Or what said by Dave86)... But I'm curious as to why it would be affecting me like that. I guess i will find out in my next batch.

Here's the problem, keep your ferment temp down around 20 degrees C and you should be right. Those temps you mentioned will produce the fusel alcohols already mentioned here. These higher alcohols are most likely (99% likely) why you experienced such a terrible hangover

Is this why i see most fermenters kept in old fridges?

Thanks for your reply's guys, you have all been very helpful :icon_cheers: .

I think i will stick to a bottle a Jagermeister & V.

(Quick Question: Anyone know anything good that mixes with Jagermeister? I love Jagerbombs but i don't feel like having a heart attack from 4+)

Jagermeister & beer!

With V or red bull is a good heart starter but beer does the trick also.

Aye guys

I've been drinking my beer which is roughly 2 weeks bottled. I took them to a mates house, Cheers,
The Beer Baron

Seems blandly obvious to me
Have you asked your mate how he is? Perhaps he's dead?

Batz

I think the only way to determine what the problem is to ship all your beer to my house so i can conduct some very rigourous testing on the offending brew.

OK uncle chop chop recommends a big glass of HardenTheFuckUP! for you
;)

You need to master your homebrew before you start pounding Jager cocktails.

But seriously - others have nailed it, there's "high" temp fermenting and then there's plain old fashioned dangerously hot fermenting. Sounds like you're in column b there.

Perhaps you can cut it with lemonade and go the "shandy"? (oh now I need to HTFU!)

Back