Say No, To Beer Snobbery!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh it's different sometimes.Whats your favourite drop at the moment syd 03?

Where I grew up the whole country would be pissed

Not really sure, just trying as many as I can right now. None instantly spring to mind. Yourself?

My mates bag me for being a beer snob because I'd rather go without than drink XXXX/New/Carlton etc for the sake of being polite, but I have convinced pretty much all of them that tooheys old isn't bad! Mates/acquaintances who don't know me as well will rubbish me for drinking old at the local here, but i just reply "If you think old is rubbish, it's exactly how I feel about what you're drinking'

At home, or a venue that permits, they're all happy to try my beers. Some are popular, others not, but they all get tried (I think my mates must be a bunch of freeloaders!). I'll drink some megaswill, but not most. I'm not a huge fan of lagers compared to ales, so most megaswill isn't too appealing. I'll usually give anything from tassie a go and see how fresh it is and if I'm in the mood to drink it, same goes for resches and VB. For some reason these are the only two mainstream beers I can stomach (sometimes)

More often than not, I'll just not have a beer if I can't get an old or something better when I'm out, if offered a beer that I don't like, I just reply "No thanks, I don't like that". Dead easy. Perhaps this makes me a beer snob, but if you don't like the fact I'd rather not drink at all than force down your favourite swill, youy can F^&* off!

So what was the UK crap? I remember lots of lagers over there, but please explain?
Sorry it's taken so long to reply, being laid out with swine flu. The offending beer was Green king IPA smothflow. It use to a reasonable pint when sold cask conditioned several years ago but very ordinary now. The smothflow was void of any taste.

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, being laid out with swine flu. The offending beer was Green king IPA smothflow. It use to a reasonable pint when sold cask conditioned several years ago but very ordinary now. The smothflow was void of any taste.

Ahh, a particular beer, not UK beer in general...which is how the original post could be interpreted.

Theres no such thing as a bad beer just some are better than others.

Ahh, a particular beer, not UK beer in general...which is how the original post could be interpreted.
I think the majority of pints sold in the UK are crap. But we also have more brewery's than any other country [as reported by our very own BBC last week]. 711 brewery`s is not bad for a small island

http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=307955

There are a lot of good beers in the UK it`s just most people drink the crap.

Beer is not wine!

I cringe whenever I hear people say stuff like 'late fruity notes' and other verbose pompous nonsense when referring to beer.

That said I like a quality beer and I dislike 'megaswill' for the most part. Not because I'm some enlightened beer snob but because those beers taste like crap.

So you're a snob snob?

It drives me crazy for example when someone goes to all of the trouble of driving to a great micro like Potters brewery and ask for a New or VB. Holy Jesus Christ on a bike you have come that far, step outside your comfort zone for a minute, you might like it.

I had a similar experience the other day

I saw two chaps sitting outside the Belgian Beer Cafe in Perth drinking Hahn Super Dry from the bottle...

Shame, shame, shame

Theres no such thing as a bad beer just some are better than others.

You haven't tried Geelong Pale, have you?

Beer is not wine!

I cringe whenever I hear people say stuff like 'late fruity notes' and other verbose pompous nonsense when referring to beer.

That said I like a quality beer and I dislike 'megaswill' for the most part. Not because I'm some enlightened beer snob but because those beers taste like crap.

How do you explain what you like about a beer? "It tastes good" is not very helpful, isn't it? Describing the flavours is a little closer to understanding what is good about a certain beer and what is bad.

I had a similar experience the other day

I saw two chaps sitting outside the Belgian Beer Cafe in Perth drinking Hahn Super Dry from the bottle...

Shame, shame, shame

Why would it annoy you. Who cares what others choice to drink/eat! really! Maybe they like the surroundings of the Belgium Beer Cafe!

How do you explain what you like about a beer? "It tastes good" is not very helpful, isn't it? Describing the flavours is a little closer to understanding what is good about a certain beer and what is bad.

I just describe it in plain English. I don't have any issues with people using terms like 'High IBU', 'Alpha Hops', and referring to general styles like IPA, APA, Stout, Porter etc.

I would say things like "It's an alpha pale ale with a bit of fruitiness to it" but not "It has delicate hints of cherry-blossom on the nose and a cheeky hint of man juice in my anus because I am a poetic wanker"

I just describe it in plain English. I don't have any issues with people using terms like 'High IBU', 'Alpha Hops', and referring to general styles like IPA, APA, Stout, Porter etc.

I would say things like "It's an alpha pale ale with a bit of fruitiness to it" but not "It has delicate hints of cherry-blossom on the nose and a cheeky hint of man juice in my anus because I am a poetic wanker"

But that's not very accurate! Fruity as in citrus, grassy, NZ grapefruit, what?

Careful, p&c, he'll think you're coming on to him.

I think ultimately everyone's going to have an opinion and flavours they prefer, it's okay to dislike something so long as you don't press your opinion onto others, discussing it is okay though. That said i think it's human nature to put yourself in the best situation (ie, cheapest beer, best flavour, most alcohol if that's your thing), so i'm saying no to saying no to beer snobs. :)

But that's not very accurate! Fruity as in citrus, grassy, NZ grapefruit, what?

If you want to get more detailed say citris, or grassy, or like grapefruit or whatever.

It is the dialect of it all that annoys me. You read someone else or hear someone else say it, and you copy them, and it makes this big wanky system where if you want to 'officially' talk about a beer or wine you must do it in this pre-defined way, that sounds horribly pompous and stupid and over the top.

You can be perfectly descriptive of a beer without having to sound like a fruitloop. I also think there's a time for just shuting the F up and giving someone a taste of said beer and letting them appreciate it in their own way.

I really think the uprising of quality beer in this country should not be done in exactly the same footprint as wine.

Blokes can go to incredible lengths when cooking yet still not sound like some annoying french chef when they describe it to you. Beer should be like that.

If you want to get more detailed say citris, or grassy, or like grapefruit or whatever.

It is the dialect of it all that annoys me. You read someone else or hear someone else say it, and you copy them, and it makes this big wanky system where if you want to 'officially' talk about a beer or wine you must do it in this pre-defined way, that sounds horribly pompous and stupid and over the top.

You can be perfectly descriptive of a beer without having to sound like a fruitloop. I also think there's a time for just shuting the F up and giving someone a taste of said beer and letting them appreciate it in their own way.

I really think the uprising of quality beer in this country should not be done in exactly the same footprint as wine.

Blokes can go to incredible lengths when cooking yet still not sound like some annoying french chef when they describe it to you. Beer should be like that.

Its called CODE. There needs to be a language!

Im not saying I use this language but in judging they need it.

Latest posts

Back