Introducting myself

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.

Apparently I need to make a couple of posts before I can start a new thread in the other fora, so...

I'm Melbourne based (Nunawading), and I started brewing back in October of 2020 as a lockdown hobby. I bought a Grainfather 30L all in one system a Grainfather conical fermenter, as well as a surprising number of bits and pieces, and embarked on the adventure. I quickly tired of bottling and the associated oxidation issues, scored a KegLand Kegerator model X, and well, here I am.

David Heath is my spirit animal, and my neighbours have been encouraging my efforts. No complaints so far. Been sticking to the NEIPA style so far, because that's what I love, but I'll probably start branching out if I can ever get to the point of running more than one keg at a time. What can I say? It's pretty good.

Looking forward to engaging with you all, and learning from you.

Welcome. You've got some nice gear there. I've only recently got into David Heath myself and think he has the best homebrewing channel on YouTube. (With The Homebrew Challenge and Fast Homebrew as a good couple of subscriptions too.)

Keen to see your recipes!

Welcome SW. For more on the technical side, view or listen to the Pope Of Foam (Dr Charlie Bamforth) He is very passionate about brewing and entertaining at the same time.

Welcome aboard....

As moderator I could fix the title for you...but it is funnier this way.

I grew up in Nunawading - lived in Luckie St for the first half of my life.

If you are interested in a brew club Melbourne Brewers is on this side of town - meetings held last Wednesday of the month (tommorow 31/3) in Ferntree Gully. Yell out if you want details - new members always welcome. Brew clubs are a great way to meet other brewers and learn heaps just talking about beer. (also a great place to taste other's beers)

Hi Sleepy Weasel,

I must say, that is a very fast transition into all grain and kegging. Sounds like you are your own minister of finance. Not long now before you connect your chiller for fermentation temperature control, very jealous.

I'm a commercial/ industrial refrigeration mechanic, and have spend my fair share of time inside central plant ducts... not always the best place to be, but these days, I enjoy sending in the young fellas.

I too enjoy David Heaths channel, he and this forum helped me build my own recipes. Giving me the guidance and confidence to give it a crack.

Stick with it and enjoy the ride!

Welcome aboard....

As moderator I could fix the title for you...but it is funnier this way.

I grew up in Nunawading - lived in Luckie St for the first half of my life.

If you are interested in a brew club Melbourne Brewers is on this side of town - meetings held last Wednesday of the month (tommorow 31/3) in Ferntree Gully. Yell out if you want details - new members always welcome. Brew clubs are a great way to meet other brewers and learn heaps just talking about beer. (also a great place to taste other's beers)
Hi Grumps. Pleased to meet you. Yup, let it lie.

I'm in the Candlebark estate across from the delightfully named Lake Road Drain (AKA Tyne Creek). In what used to be Winlaton Girls' Home.

I'll definitely keep Melbourne Brewers in mind. If it hadn't been for lockdown, I would have started by joining a club, but if it it hadn't been for lockdown, I may never have finally committed to the hobby. It would be a fine thing to chat with some other afficianados.

Hi Sleepy Weasel,

I must say, that is a very fast transition into all grain and kegging. Sounds like you are your own minister of finance. Not long now before you connect your chiller for fermentation temperature control, very jealous.

I'm a commercial/ industrial refrigeration mechanic, and have spend my fair share of time inside central plant ducts... not always the best place to be, but these days, I enjoy sending in the young fellas.

I too enjoy David Heaths channel, he and this forum helped me build my own recipes. Giving me the guidance and confidence to give it a crack.

Stick with it and enjoy the ride!
What can I say, Morgz? I assessed the risks and responded appropriately. From my early research, the biggest problems I was likely to hit were poor temperature control, infection and oxidation. The conical mostly took care of the first, plain good hygiene the second, and I still got bitten by the last, hence the drive to kegging. I knew that if I didn't get a pretty decent result in the first few tries, I'd grow discouraged, so it would have been a false economy to cut costs.

Oh, and all grain thing? I honestly never even looked at extract brewing. It completely passed me by, otherwise I might have been tempted. Frankly, to date, I've mostly been brewing the same grain bill and varying the hops, because I really want to master the IPA styles. It's turning out well, but I'm going to have to get creative very soon, or I'll go stale. It's my favourite drop, but I need to spread my wings. On my list are and orange brut IPA a-la the Dainton Mimosa, a Russian Imperial Stout (yeah, I know, that's a long wait for a result), and possibly a gluten-free IPA to share with my neighbour (Tow Bays sell the grain that could enable this).

Still, as it stands, I'm bloody loving the result and I'd be saving a fortune if it wasn't for the fact that I keep buying new gear. It tickles me enormously to be able to offer neighbours and guests a bloody fine craft beer of my own making on tap. That's what it's all about for me - the sharing.

Welcome. You've got some nice gear there. I've only recently got into David Heath myself and think he has the best homebrewing channel on YouTube. (With The Homebrew Challenge and Fast Homebrew as a good couple of subscriptions too.)

Keen to see your recipes!
Thanks for that, BrewLizard. All my recipes so far have been pretty derivative of other brewers. I'm just dicking with the hops to see how far I can push the NEIPA style. And yes, David Heath is one hell of a resource. I tried a couple of times to persuade him to start a Patreon account, but he's not going to do it. Instead, he did finally put up some merch, so at least I can support him by buying that. I'll check out those others that you mentioned,

Latest posts

Back