Say No, To Beer Snobbery!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc59

Reaction score
Common now brewers. Put your hand up if your guilty of being a beer snob. You know the type I mean, giggling at people who say they want to brew a vb or tooheys new. Throwing around the term "megaswill." ;)

I for one will confess to enjoying the odd new or gold during the cricket (even now) and before I began brewing only ever drank new and guiness at my local.

I say we should be more encouraging to people who have different tastes to yourself at this particular point and try to remember back to what you were like before you started the grand old hobby.

So, who's guilty?

Guilty without remorse.... :)

I don't see it as being a beer snob though.....just the complete inability to force myself to drink something that I know will not be better than what I could be drinking....

If I am going to be injesting something into my body, I want it to be good! :)

I'm guilty as charged as well.

If i'm going to destroy my liver i might as well do it with something decent.

Now where did i put that slab of Tooheys Red. :icon_vomit:

I'm a bit of a beer reverse snob. I love to explore the world of beers when I'm at Dans and get weird and wonderful bottles from Ukraine etc but I'm not in the conoisseur club who can prattle on for hours about Weihenstephan beers or triple lambic hefe kolshy stuff. I bought some Leffe at Christmas to get the glass but wouldn't buy it again. If I feel like a change from my own beer I'm just as likely to get a couple of tall bottles of Cascade Original Pale which is a really smooth tasty 5% job, or a threesome of Coopers Sparkling on special ATM, or even a few tall Bavarias from Liquorland to augment my green bottle stocks. And at the beach I always go a Melbourne Bitter on a hot day.

However what does annoy me, and I'll admit to a bit of a sneer here, is the blonde lo carb TED type beers with their marketing tripe. I had a schooner of Pure Blonde at the pub last week to see what all the fuss was about, now that's what I call megaswill. :icon_vomit:

Avoiding a beer that I don't like or disagrees with me and yes Toohey's Red comes to mind I am guilty as charged

B)

Guilty!

But not really so far as to bag and laugh at people who drink megaswill but when someone offers me a warm VB in a can, I now must refuse whereas previous to my brewing I would have drank it under sufference. I do feel differently towards people who strongly advocate megaswill and leave the brewing to 'the professionals' and often don't tell people I brew as it often comes down to defending my position or educating them on good homebrew... both of which end up being discussions of a cyclic nature.

I'm a bit of a beer reverse snob. I love to explore the world of beers when I'm at Dans and get weird and wonderful bottles from Ukraine etc but I'm not in the conoisseur club who can prattle on for hours about Weihenstephan beers or triple lambic hefe kolshy stuff. I bought some Leffe at Christmas to get the glass but wouldn't buy it again. If I feel like a change from my own beer I'm just as likely to get a couple of tall bottles of Cascade Original Pale which is a really smooth tasty 5% job, or a threesome of Coopers Sparkling on special ATM, or even a few tall Bavarias from Liquorland to augment my green bottle stocks. And at the beach I always go a Melbourne Bitter on a hot day.

However what does annoy me, and I'll admit to a bit of a sneer here, is the blonde lo carb TED type beers with their marketing tripe. I had a schooner of Pure Blonde at the pub last week to see what all the fuss was about, now that's what I call megaswill. :icon_vomit:

As Bribie has said its about education! One of my best friends drinks swan, I dont judge him for that! I just choose not to drink it!

I do to a degree, but then if someone likes a particular style then good luck to them, to each their own.

I don't like some belgian beers for example, and certain lagers. I also don't like most mega swill. Some 'boutique' beers are shite too IMO.

My observation: people like to be elitist over one another in any example of life, beer is just one of these.

Call it what you may, i see it more as having a willingness to educate your palate beyond the norms, some people will never venture past steak and 3 veg and hell or high water you will never get them too either. Where as I'll give anything a go atleast once, but in saying that if you have developed your palate beyond bland megaswill your never in a hurry to race back to it either. So if that makes me a snob because i want to expereince life beyond the the bland and mundane. Shyte yeah I am Beers Snob and thankful to be so.

Just think of the state of the beer industry or anything as a matter a fact, if we all conformed to what was put in front of us.....mmmm un hopped ale one style, one malt, only from one brewery yum yum :( no thanks its all yours.

Guilty. It annoys SWMBO bigtime too.

I'd say the worst part of being a beersnob would be the wallet gets emptied a lot more quickly, especially when your favourite pubs are Belgian Beer cafes or the like.

Still, who's complaining when you're drinking quality?

Guilty....

Makes it a bitch when you are away from home and have to fork out for a decent beer.

Guilty, but along the same lines as BribieG. Often I'll have a XXXX Bitter, I've got Carlton Black in my fridge at the moment, and have been known to even drink a XXXX Gold. But can;t stand that Low carb crap beers that are getting pushed these days.

Kev

Guilty.. and proud of it..

I don't drink cheap wine or eat macdonalds, why would I drink crap beer?

Guilty.. and proud of it..

I don't drink cheap wine or eat macdonalds, why would I drink crap beer?
Macca's should be byo, don't you reckon? Would make the dining experience truly memorable.

Actually my brother (also a hber) gave me a crownie on saturday, adding "it was on special", like it justified it.
Still, on a hot day standing round the bbq it went down nicely.

Sort of guilty.

At my golf club, the only place I drink beer other than my own, I drink either a Toohey's Old or a "charlie" which is a light beer with about 25% Old. It's called a "charlie" after a certain Mr Perkins, mostly white with some black, if you get my drift.

I regularly castigate the bar staff for not serving anything other than from the majors. I have asked them several times why they can't get our local boutique brewery's (Wicked Elf) on tap. Was told by one of the bar staff they'll never have that on tap, as he recently had a bad hangover after drinking it all night. He just quietly forgot to mention the dozen plus schooners of it he downed during that night.

PS: It is on tap at the Port Macquarie Golf Club, but that's not where I play.

Guilty without remorse.... :)

I don't see it as being a beer snob though.....just the complete inability to force myself to drink something that I know will not be better than what I could be drinking....

If I am going to be injesting something into my body, I want it to be good! :)
+1. Absolutely no remorse. Especially at the prices that are charged for megaswill anyway.

The way I look at it there is usually a decent beer available when I head out and refusing to drink megaswill may help to get more craft beers stocked.

So: I say "Yes" to Beer Snobbery.

:icon_cheers:
EK

Guilty...
But as others have mentioned my palate has changed and I like to try new things and can't go back to the likes of VB, not that I ever liked it anyway. But I like beer with flavour, is that too much to ask. Growing up in northern tassie I was brought up on Boags Draught and its still one of my fav's, especially in the summer after work, goes down very nicely. So, I dont consider myself a "snob" as I dont roll my eyes or pass judgement on others choices, I just choose to drink what I want to drink.

Back