Say No, To Beer Snobbery!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer is not wine!
You're right.

Beer is far more complex and much better...

In my opinion, although of course that's slightly redundant as the mere fact of me saying makes it my opinion really...

(I do actually like wine a lot, just in case anyone really cares)

Edit: OK, to stay on topic I try not to be a beer snob, as I believe everyone can drink what they want but I do a) try and steer people towards better beer and B) can't bring myself to drink some things that I used to. I try, but VB etc just tastes bad to me now...

seeing as we are fast approaching x'mas i love the amount of people that SPLURGE and purchase the VERY BEST Beer ..... you know ..... Crown Lager LOL!

i remember being in Dan's last x'mas & overhearing a couple of workers talking about how the Crown is flying out the store faster than they can bring it in!

Then you go to the pub & people have that SPECIAL x'mas drink are buying Crown bottles instead of the token NEW.... LOL!

It's amazing how tradition sticks! & it's even more amazing that people are content with drinking the same garbage their entire lives!

What's even funnier is BEER isn't an expensive beverage!!!

You haven't tried Geelong Pale, have you?

No I havent also I havent tried Southark the South Aussie one either.

But I did try & try the West End one but no way that was imposible.

But still we did give it a run. After that, wasnt game to try Southark

excuse spelling. We then come to our senses & got onto the coopers.

This was a surfing trip to the eyre penisular by the way.

Hey not having a shot at you South Aussies either, we have the dreaded emu export.

Thats what I grew up with till I relised there was a choice emu bitter.

Of course there was Swan larger allso.

I wonder what they were like before my time maybe they used ale yeast.

Anyway if there isnt much cash & you havent had a drink for a while, been working hard chill it down & Im sure it wil be ok just not in quantity.

You're right.

Beer is far more complex and much better...

In my opinion, although of course that's slightly redundant as the mere fact of me saying makes it my opinion really...

(I do actually like wine a lot, just in case anyone really cares)

Edit: OK, to stay on topic I try not to be a beer snob, as I believe everyone can drink what they want but I do a) try and steer people towards better beer and B) can't bring myself to drink some things that I used to. I try, but VB etc just tastes bad to me now...

On the same page as Ben here.

Lagers are the white wines of the beer world, and ales are the reds, some so beautiful and complex. Ponsy words aren't required to describe them, at least not by choice. When tasting a really great beer, your mind pulls words to describe the aromas and flavours from somewhere in it's areas of association and the words can be different for different people. Some really great beers mess with you're mind when tasting, swapping between the dominant flavours and aromas in the beer, these are the most interesting. Have had some of Ben's beers and used words like xmas cake, cinnamon or jaffa to describe them as there was just no other words I could pull from memory that I could use to describe the flavours and aromas.

So, I'm a beer snob, well I wouldn't want to be a head-up-arse type like some wine snobs, but one thing is for sure I love great and interesting beer.

Screwy

I'm going to brew you a larger for x'mas. It's IBU will be awesome.

Make it a Pilsner and it will be, in Australia it is just approaching Pilsner drinking weather.
I've been working on Pilsner recipes for many years, just now I believe I'm achieving what I want. It's a difficult beer to perfect, to my liking anyway.

Batz

So, I'm a beer snob, well I wouldn't want to be a head-up-arse type like some wine snobs, but one thing is for sure I love great and interesting beer.

Screwy

They live on the coast mate, never see them in the Hinterlands.

2008_05_29_chef.jpg

Batz

ROFL, nice one Batz. Looks like Noosa if I'm not mistaken :ph34r:

PS: I AM a beer snob, and a good one at that :p Mind you, I'll still accept a beer if it's free, good or less good....

Cheers

Sod off, I'm a loud and proud beer evangelist. I love encouraging people to try new things, grow and broaden their horizons. How awful would this place be if everyone sat around spouting crap like "VB is a good beer, you should brew beer like that". It would stagnate, nothing interesting would happen, and the forum would die.

But instead people here have the passion to innovate, explore and create, all traits which should be embraced. This is the main reason why I keep coming back here, even if I don't post too often these days.

But a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
Recently I was at a wedding, with a friend of mine who is a serious wine collector. I have been introducing him to beers, and he has been reciprocating with wine.
He went up to the bar, muttered that the wine list was shite, and grabbed a crownie
I went up to the bar, muttered that the beer list was equally shite, and grabbed a glass of red.
Back at the table we tasted our respective beverages, frowned, and simultaneously blamed each other for spoiling our tastebuds.

And now we are educating our palates with whiskies, brandies and other spirits. Pretty soon there won't be anything left we can't turn our nose up at :) And i wouldn't have it any other way.

There's a 'pilsener-drinking time of year' ?
VB is shit ? (I agree, but be fair, at a few below zero - there's not alot that isn't refreshing)
All grains are 'the way to go' and inherently better than a liquidmalt or grainless beer ?
Glass is better than plastic ?
AHB is the bomb?! (Just kidding, this place really is the bomb diggity)

Well, I think beer snobbery goes deeper than just frowning upon commercially produced piss (though some of it is pretty watery and it's all unpleasant enough warm) but it goes right into the heart of the homebrew community (real and virtual).
Other homebrewers have told me that I simply CAN'T put my brew into twist tops and just screw the lid back on (this has worked for 499 out of about 500 bottles) and that I just Can't use a good deal of hot-water, I Must use metabisulphate to stop contaminants. Yea right!

I disagree. Do it the way you will and enjoy your own swill.

Many failures (after a few months to mellow themselves) become brilliant brews.
And even one contaminated brew of my brothers was utterly delicious (somehow synthesised a port/berry taste and golden syrup aroma).

This hop, that hop, a thousand strains of yeasts.
I've had very pleasant homegrown hops. Harsh on your palate, but mine may be adapted to it.
I've also used wild airborne yeast, pigeon shit for nutrient, whole millet grains for a base.
I've fermented in buckets, bins, glass and plastic bags.

And i don't consider myself an expert.

But trying the same things the 'gourmets' try and saying it's the only way to go,
Is the opposite of the creative spirit of the craft-industry of homebrew,
Ignorant of the long and simple history its enjoyed &
I'm afraid, doesn't make you an expert either.

~Sorry, don't mean to ruffle feathers ... & I know I'm a 'newbie' (Kill da noobz!).
~But beer snobbery -of any sort- I don't buy.
~(And can't stand not having my 2c worth) :lol:

Pigeon shit, you say?

Sorry, I didn't think I'd ever have to do this, but I am going to out myself as a no-faeces-in-my-beer-thanks snob.

Fair suck of the sav, mate.

It was country-pigeon shit, UV irradiated and brew-pasteurised into a bit of sediment that never makes it to the bottle anyhow.
(And it was better than 4X)

See what I mean, people?!

I say no to misidentifying independent clauses.

Back