Sausage Rolls

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
NO photo, the Mrs' art group polished them off like starving dogs this afternoon :icon_cheers:

Michael's Sausage Roll Recipe:
To make 24 rolls.

Equipment:

Large baking tray

Large mixing bowl

Very sharp knife

Ingredients:

3 sheets Pampas Puff Pastry 500g

700g sausages, beef or pork - the 'flavoured' ones like beef / tomatoes, or garlic work ok as well.

3 slices white bread

Large onion

1 egg

Preheat oven to 220 degrees.

In the bowl squeeze out sausage meat, grate onion and add egg. Soak three slices of bread in warm water until soft and squeeze out like a sponge and add to bowl.

Mix ingredients with hands and 'whip' with fingers until a uniform paste. Divide into six portions.

Work with the puff pastry sheets while still partly frozen and firm. Do not thaw them out too much or they will become soft and stretchy and very hard to work with.

For each sheet:

Cut into two. For each half use a teaspoon to add one sixth of the mix and form a 'bar' of mix down the centre of the pastry sheet. Roll quickly into a tube, cut into four with a very sharp knife, stab a few times and arrange on baking tray with sides touching but ends open to oven.

Continue until you have three lines of eight sausage rolls with sides touching. Bake for about 25 mins, reversing the tray after 15 if using a non fan forced oven.

Bumped for Chappo & Ross

tweak: soaked the bread in some Campbells beef stock instead of water, and added a fair dash of thyme.

Bumped for Chappo & Ross

tweak: soaked the bread in some Campbells beef stock instead of water, and added a fair dash of thyme.

Thanks Bribie!

They were brilliant I just wish "Mud Guts" aka Ross hadn't stpped at Macc's before we got there!

I'm gunna try these next weekend mate!

Chappo

You can just buy sausage mince from your butcher, a bit easier than squeezing meat out of the skins

Looks like a good recipe my eldest daughter loves them so I should make a few - considering how much junk is in supermarket ones it's worth a go

You can just buy sausage mince from your butcher, a bit easier than squeezing meat out of the skins

Looks like a good recipe my eldest daughter loves them so I should make a few - considering how much junk is in supermarket ones it's worth a go
If you use sausage mince you can add a bit of chicken booster for extra flavour ;) you can also add grated carrot,a little garlic,onion powder or pretty much any thing to them.
You could also increase the bread a little and even try wholemeal :)

I love a good rosage soll.

I don't use any egg or bread in them. Just the sausage mince, salt and pepper. There is enough fat in that to hang together without any binding. I often go a bit highbrow and mince up garlic, onion and sundried tomatoes which I mix through the mince before forming the rolls.

Cheers
Dave

someone in one of the vic case swaps has the best recipe. cant remember who but they got smashed and all who tried them bigged them up immensly.

Nice with rosemary and pinenuts to.

Or curry and sultana a little retro but yummy.

I find the sausage meat that they sell seperatly isnt to good.

I find the sausage meat that they sell seperatly isnt to good.

Depends a lot on your butcher. Ours makes it up fresh for us. Its the same as they put in their sausages (which have won awards but then again its hard to find a butcher these days whose sausages haven't won a best sausage award).

Everyone needs to find a really good butcher. they do exist. They take a bit of finding though.

Cheers
Dave

Depends a lot on your butcher. Ours makes it up fresh for us. Its the same as they put in their sausages (which have won awards but then again its hard to find a butcher these days whose sausages haven't won a best sausage award).

Everyone needs to find a really good butcher. they do exist. They take a bit of finding though.

Cheers
Dave

We have a great one close by. Why are butchers always so happy?

We have a great one close by. Why are butchers always so happy?

Dunno.. maybe hacking up bodies all day is cathartic or something.

After the last few weeks at work I know there are a few bodies I would like to put across the bandsaw...

someone in one of the vic case swaps has the best recipe. cant remember who but they got smashed and all who tried them bigged them up immensly.

This one? Link

I love a good sausage roll, you can chuck a bit of anything in them. The last ones i made had some wombok, onion, garlic, carrot, salt and pepper all mixed through beef mince with some beef stock for extra flavour.
I also like to sprinkle sesame seeds on top.

Damn, getting hungry :D

Butters concentrates really hard, trying to harness all his psychic powers, aiming his thought patterns at bribieG......"pineapple, pineapple, pineapple".....

:lol:

Butters concentrates really hard, trying to harness all his psychic powers, aiming his thought patterns at bribieG......"pineapple, pineapple, pineapple".....

Pineapple and cheese sausage rolls... chuck some bacon in aswell...

Im going to make them, Pork mince, pineapple, cheese, bacon and chilli sausage rolls....

I made some Lasagna ones a few years back in the bakery,they were pretty bloody nice ;)

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgoger
ychwyrndrobwllllantysilio
gogogoch

Bribiie,

Is that Welsh for Cardiff?

BB

PS Your recipe sausage rolls are delicious, no extras needed.

Back