Sandgroper Steinbeer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perth people choose a day

• Sunday 9 July

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saturday 22 July

• Sunday 23 July

• Total voters

Guest Lurker

Big Dog Brewing
Reaction score
EDIT - OOOPS It has been pointed out to me in no uncertain terms that I am booked 9 July - Sorry option 1 in the poll is no longer available

OK I have been talking the talk, its time to walk the walk and do a winter steinbeer in Perth. An all grain beer created without ever connecting the NASA burner. Details of the procedure are currently sketchy, and will be finalised in a separate thread, in which my alter ego Captain Sensible will need to set out a few ground rules. But having a few beers, heating rocks white hot, and swinging stuff around on the hydraulic kettle liftovator sounds like fun to me.

This thread is to sort the date which will prompt me to get the gear ready. Usual story, everyone welcome, great chance to swap and taste a range of beers, good opportunity to see an all grain brew start to finish, lunch provided by me, general critique of my brewing procedures provided by everyone else. I will bring along a crate of the bottled beer to the next gathering.

Saturday 22 July works best for me. The world cup final is 10 July at 2 am which would make 9 July interesting. Vote for your preferred date.

Sounds like fun to me!!!

Cool... I mean Hot
Vote Cast.... & no MTB race this time!!!

Kegged a ripper of a Kirin Rice Lage last night... Will be pulling out the party pig for this show!!

Asher for now

Nothing like adding white hot rocks to boil to bring back some excitement to the brewday schedule.
Looking forward to it GL.

:D

Fantastic - looking forward to it already GL.

I'll be sure to wear my asbestos underpants

Does anyone have a movie camera ? - there's sure to be a lot of colour and movement to capture with that process planned (even if it is running away and blood).

Can't be certain if I will make it but hoping to, lots of stuff going on with the new house.

Anyone going to run across the rocks? :p

This I gotta see GL. so I'll turn up any day you choose.
BTW. I hope you come across a geoligyst of good standing very soon. See quote below stolen from Beerscribe.

"Brewers do not simply pick up pebbles on their way into work. The selection of proper stones is serious business. "We did a lot of experimentation with the stones," says Skypeck, who took a minor in geology in college. "We use a pink granite, and it works really well for a number of reasons. It is a metamorphic rock, which has been subjected to a lot of heat, so when we heat it and cool it, it tends to hold together pretty well. It doesn't split. It also has a very irregular surface area, which for the size of the stone increases the size of the surface area we can have caramelization on. The most important thing, which may not be very evident, is that it is a chemically inert rock. If we used something softer like a limestone, you can slip a lot of calcium off into your wort and really change things.""

If i can recast my vote for the sunday, someone has put a bucks day on the 22nd.

Cheers

If i can recast my vote for the sunday, someone has put a bucks day on the 22nd.

Cheers

dammit.... I chance my vote to one of the Sundays too then....

Asher for now

I would love to be there but we're going to NZ at the end of July where they do something similar with hot rocks and food

c'mon guys.... PLANNING !

how do you manage the hangover allowance. Its ugly spending it at work - that's what Sundays are for !

:)

Tony M -
I think the choice of rocks may be very similar to those still buried next to the shed after Gussett Lurkers hangi.

Any day for me, but World Cup takes preferance.

Tony M -
I think the choice of rocks may be very similar to those still buried next to the shed after Gussett Lurkers hangi.

Any day for me, but World Cup takes preferance.

Well picked Vlad. The hangi rocks are indeed still in the hole. The dogs cleaned as much burnt meat off as they could before the sand fell in, but I am thinking there will still be enough to flavour the beer.

Gusset Lurker

Hmmm... 22nd it will have to be, thing happening on the 23rd so may have to leave early..but not before the hot rocks are cast :D I gotta see that.

I would love to come along. And either day is fine for me.
Can't wait to see the liftovator in action!

Better let you guys know i will be in perth for all of july.Ive let gl know but basically baring a few things im down for i should be able to make it.I havent voted on a date as i will know more next week about a few things ive got lined up and will post a better reply then.

Cheers
Big D

Vote cast, I agree, Sundays are definately for recover not drinking (unless you're on holiday or it's a long weekend).

Sorted out my job interview so all dates mentioned are fine with me thus far so will watch this post for a firm date and time.Im really looking forward to this hotrock brewing gathering.Do you require any welding gloves(thermal protection) for the occasion GL as i can bring some new ones down with me if you wish.

Cheers
Big D

Latest posts

Back