Sandgroper Stein Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna be late. But you mob will still be going strong about 4 or 5 won't you?

I'm going for the effect, you know: arrive late to a drunken function and as you walk through the side gate everyone calls out in a drunk chorus: "DeeBeeeee!"

Easier than introductions.

Deebee they'll be lucky if I have lunch cooked by 4pm, what with all the burns and everything.

OK I have sent my address by PM to anyone who has expressed an interest in the stein beer. If you didnt get one, and you are interested in coming, let me know.

Bumping for evening traffic. Anyone left off the pm list? Just picked up the stainless steel stein basket off AusDB, if the beer doesnt work we could certainly cook a pile of fish and chips in it.

oops, I just saw this - Id love to come along if you dont mind a half-lurker coming along?

be something great to come and both meet other brewers (i dont know anyone) and maybe even see what others think of some of my own beer hahaha

I am sure there is a welcome page somewhere.

I think I'm the half lurker Factor is talking about.

I plan to start brewing my own beer very soon, so any ideas would be more than welcome.

I will search this forum and I'm sure to get heaps of ideas.

Thanks people and I "might" see you at this brew event

Tarquin

Hey GL,

I was wondering if you might have access to equipment for "Gassing-up" PET bottles, as I have a uncarbonated hefeweizen I would like to bring along, (My first AG) and it might be a bit nicer with some bubbles..

Cheers,

Case

Bring em along. I have gas, and a tyre chuck. I can only find one home made carbonator cap which you can use, but ask Goat nicely and he will probably bring another. Only problem will be it is looking like close to 20 people at this day, so you will get 20 opinions on how to go about it.

I have distributed nearly all of mine around the suburbs of Perth over the last year or so, so they are a bit think on the ground at the moment.

I need a couple for my 'specimens' for the day, but I'll see if I can find some extra to bring along.

What a fantastic day! A huge round of thanks has to go to Simon and Fleur for thier wonderful hospitality. I came home pleasantly pissed, full of great food, and with added bonus doggy drool.

But things weren't all plain sailing for GL, things went somewhat astray...
brew-disaster-2006.jpg

As GL was lifting the mashtun for sparging, the handle snapped off, sending the mash all over the ground. As you can see, he was not very happy about it.

brew-disaster-2006-2.jpg

It was the worst thing I have seen happen at a brewday. After swearing for about 5 minutes, GL got back into it like a real trooper. He took a quick stocktake, and decided to try again with whatever he had left.

So 90 minutes later, we got to play with hot rocks. The safety gear was donned, the special apparatus assembled, everyone was told to stand back, and the fun began.

hot-rocks.jpg

rock-basket.jpg

The heat given off by these red-hot rocks was just amazing. Huge plumes of steam rose into the air, 30 litres of wort threatened to overflow a 90 litre keg. The boil was so strong that the wort rose 15 gravity points during the boil.

From there things went brilliantly. Lunch was served at just after 5pm, and was spectacular. Many fantastic beers were drunk, and things got a bit hazy from then on.

Any leftovers were dealt with efficiently by GL's trio of waste disposal units:
great-danes.jpg

What a fantastic day! A huge round of thanks has to go to Simon and Fleur for thier wonderful hospitality. I came home pleasantly pissed, full of great food, and with added bonus doggy drool.

But things weren't all plain sailing for GL, things went somewhat astray...
brew-disaster-2006.jpg

Man, thats a classic photo. That has to be the worst f up on a brewday ever. If it wasnt for all the grown men standing around me I would have cried. If you want to brew on the fly, try attempting to calculate how many handfuls of dark crystal will be required to achieve the correct colour, when most of the vienna and munich is lying on your paving, and you have only pilsner and dark crystal for the second mash, which you have to do from scratch, then boil with rocks. What a day!

Really looking forward to some more pics of the whole hot rock proceedure - would love to have a go at this sometime...
Looks like a great day was had by all, despite the disaster... Tremendous effort GL in the face of adversity :super:

Cheers Ross

A bugger that I missed it, sounds like a top day was had by all!! I had to take the folks to airport, sent them oof to Europe for 12 weeks. To make up they've got a great shopping list for Belgium!!!

Then was trying to ressurrect my keg fridge!

After all that I figured I all would be over, but looks like I was maybe a little wrong.

Bugger on the esky GL, a real pain when equipment failure "alters" the plans for the day!!

Grab

Thankyou Simon for a great day. The impromptu floorshow was first class. Thank Fleur for the good food and the tin can turkey was succulent. My friend Mike couldnt stop talking about the great time he had.
I'm sure the stein beer will be perfect.
Cheers.

I was a bit sceptical as to wether or not hot rocks could continuously boil wort for 60 mins, but believe me it does work. Could some of the the massive evaportion rate be accounted for by absorption by the rocks, I don't know the porousity (?) of granite compared to a concrete house brick but maybe they did soak up a bit.
( Apparantly, brick pavers are really good at soaking up wort, but that was tested earlier in the day )

Another top day, thanks Mr. & Mrs. Lurker.

A few pics from the day.

Left to right in this one
Mika Lika
Recharge
AusDB
Deebee

group1.jpg

AusDB wearing a face shield and welders gloves because of the intense heat, goes in after the best looking rock, glowing red all the way through.

vhotrock.jpg

A vigorous boil wasnt a problem. We got a bit excited with red hot rocks at one point and came close to a boil over, with 30 l of wort in a 80 l kettle

vigorousboil.jpg

Thanks for a great day Simon(& Fleur). Great to catch up with everyone and meet some new AHBers and try some quality brews. You have go to admire Simons ability to get the brew day back on track when it suddenly went pear shaped. I'll be interest to see how the brew turns out. Thanks Fleur for the delicious food - especially the beer can turkey wraps(I'm drooling like Alabama just thinking about them). Thanks also must go to Roger Mellie for sorting the Iodophor so efficiently.

The Midland line trains weren't running and the bus caused me to miss my connecting train - thanks transperth for listing the rail works so discretely on the travel planner website, much appreciated. Mrs macgilla and jr were thrilled to drive to Welshpool to pick me up, especially when it was ms macgilla's bed time. Also a big hello to Mahouman the friendly Palestinian refugee who stopped on his BMX to ask me if I had any Marijuana. We sat on the kerb and had a chin wag and managed to solve the middle east crisis over a couple of ciggys and an American Brown Ale(Fortunately Mahouman was Muslim and the beer was all mine). Theres a lesson there Mr Howard/Bush/Blair/Olmert/Saniora. An interesting end to an interesting day.

Latest posts

Back