Sandgroper Stein Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guest Lurker

Big Dog Brewing
Reaction score
The Sandgroper stein beer day will be on Saturday 22 July. Post here if you plan to attend and I will pm my address. If you havent been to a brew day before, it involves me running round making beer and making lunch, while you stand around criticising my equipment and techniques, and arguing over whether 1272 or 1056 makes a better APA. You bring your best and worst beers along for sampling and advice on improvement.

On account of the hot rocks, this one will be a bit more organised than usual.

1) This is not an AHB organised or sanctioned event. This is me having some fun in my back yard and you are welcome to come and watch.

2) The day will happen rain or shine. I brew in the open so I will get wet if it rains, but there should be enough shelter in the bar for the spectactors to stay dry, and there will be no shortage of heat, I will be chainsawing up a pile of jarrah demolition timber this weekend.

3) I will have four kegs on tap and will provide lunch. You bring your hand crafted beers or interesting commercial beers and maybe an interesting beer snack. I will have plenty of fridge space. I strongly recommend against driving. I live 100 m from Meltham train station.

4) If you want to physically chuck hot rocks in the kettle, I need you to be wearing covered leather shoes (ie boots), long cotton trousers (jeans OK), long sleeved non synthetic shirt. If you just want to watch you can wear what you like, but to be honest I am not a fan of orange lycra.

5) We will be using grano-diorite rocks borrowed from the Darling ranges. I have test fired them inside a pot belly stove without explosions so we should be safe. However you should be aware that with a big fire and hot rocks and also rather large dogs there are a few risks and you need to stay in a state where you arent a danger to yourself or anyone else.

6) I think the beer will be an Oktoberfest. If its any good we can drink it at Sandgroptoberfest which we hold at Deebees place every year (dont we?). Recipe suggestions from expert fest brewers welcomed - Asher? Hopefully the rocks will pick up caramelised wort and will be put into the secondary for extra flavour and grittyness.

7)To give you an idea of the day so you can see the bits that interest you the general plan is:
11am Heat strike water on open fire, chemistry treatment of water, crush grain
12 pm Dough in
12 pm to 1 pm - Mashing (ie drinking)
1 pm to 2 pm ish Batch sparging
2pm to 3:30 pm Find out if hot rocks will really boil 30 l.
3pm Late lunch
3:30 pm to 4:30 pm Cooling with immersion chiller, lifting kettle with liftovator, gravity draining to fermenter
4:30 pm until late Tasting and drinking

Cheers
Simon

I will be there,
But will wear the purple lycra this time.

Case

Have fun guys... I'm unfortunately going to be at a Bux do... But here an award winning marzen recipe (2nd @ 2006 ABC) you can use in my absence.... maybe lighten the colour by a few points though. Its on the darker side & may detract from the caramely goodness your wanting to highlight.
Look forward to seeing peoples scars at deebee's sandgroptoberfest.... :party:

Asher for now

-----------------
Marzen
-----------------

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.58
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.47
Anticipated SRM: 12.8
Anticipated IBU: 24.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
35.0 3.00 kg. Hoepfner Pilsner malt Germany 1.038 2
29.1 2.50 kg. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
29.1 2.50 kg. Hoepfner Vienna Germany 1.038 3
5.8 0.50 kg. Hoepfner Caramel Malt Dark Germany 1.035 61
0.9 0.08 kg. Weyermann Carafa Special II Germany 1.036 558

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
42.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Plug 2.50 8.0 60 min.
40.00 g. Tettnanger Pellet 4.60 15.1 60 min.
28.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Plug 2.50 1.1 10 min.

Mash Schedule
-------------

Single infusion mash @ 67

I will be there in Sensible Shoes and with my train fare pinned to the inside of my shirt pocket.

(GL's brew day that is - not my sandgroptoberfest as I may be busy that day.)

I will be there but won't be donning the Lycra as it gives me hot rocks....boom boom(I can't believe I typed that). Looking forward to it in a big way.

GL- PM me if ya need any more rocks from the hills and I will drop them off prior to the brewday....

Awesome! You've been threatening this for ages, and I can't wait to finally see the madness. I might wear the kevlar gear for safety.

Asher,

What yeast do you use for that?

thanks
Scott

I will be there in Sensible Shoes and with my train fare pinned to the inside of my shirt pocket.

Deebee, you sound like Paddington Bear will you have a jam sandwich under your hat as well?

Count me in... need to be out and about on Sunday so I'll be keeping sensible...ish :D

Hi there,

Count me in. SHould have some lager ready by then.

What yeast do you use for that?

Geez... giving away all my secrets now. I prefer any of the more meaty lager strains. Something like WY2038 Munich Lager Yeast... Remember Its a Marzen - Traditionally brewed in March and lagered in caves for summer consumption (northern hemisphere) up until October..... So a long lagering is required to balance this baby...

Asher for now

Deebee, you sound like Paddington Bear will you have a jam sandwich under your hat as well?

Paddington Bear was found at Paddington Station; you may call me Meltham Bear. And yes I will have the sandwich.

BUMP
GL put me down as a 99% show.Pretty sure i remember the walk to your place from the train station so baring the paranormal event i will be there.Cant bring any homebrew so will hit the IBS and see what i can find and afford.(youngs double chocalate stout for deebee some nice belgian for barfridge and for the host im not sure same for vlad and goat)

Cheers
Big D

BUMP
GL put me down as a 99% show.Pretty sure i remember the walk to your place from the train station so baring the paranormal event i will be there.Cant bring any homebrew so will hit the IBS and see what i can find and afford.(youngs double chocalate stout for deebee some nice belgian for barfridge and for the host im not sure same for vlad and goat)

Cheers
Big D

Don't sweat the beer Dave, there is always plenty around. I will have on tap
-soda water
-rice lager
-chocolate porter
-English pale ale
-classic American pilsner
I'll pm you the address now in case you dont have computer access down here.

Latest posts

Back