Sandgroper Stein Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:super: Thanks G.L. for such an exciting and pleasant brew day :D
Thought I could add a couple of pics to it all.

For hot rocks, you need a big fire. This is towards the end, but you'll get the idea
Rocks_on_fire.JPG

And this is the kinda of boil you can expect
Boiling1.JPG

Boiling2.JPG

I also have a couple of videos of the initial dunking and some of the boil, only off the digi camera. Unfortunately WAY too big to post here and my e-mail at home is pretty slow. If anyone's interested, send me a P.M. with your e-mail address and I'll try and send you the 1.8 Mb boiling movie.

Cheers :super:

Thanks Simon and Fleur for the great day, I for one had too many great beers and am still suffering. AAARRRHHH
Tell Fleur i'll bring her down a bottle of butterscotch when i come to pick up my lost property.

Regards
Richard

Also adding my thanks and congrats on a job well done in the face of adversity.

Yes indeed - a great day, thanks Simon and Fleur.

I was impressed that once the initial shock had passed (along with the obligitory un-christian verbage), the brew appeared to go very smoothly. Can't wait to have a taste !

That is a priceless expression on your face GL... regardless of how the beer turns out, I suspect the experience alone will have made it all worthwhile...

Great "how to" writeup as well!

Looks like an eventful day there GL.
I bet there was stunned silence when the MT handle broke. Very impressed at the ability to recover from such a major disaster on brew day. A real credit to you.

Would love to see any video footage of it, it available. I'll PM you.

Cheers

Thanks again Simon and Fleur. Was great to get along and meet some of the AHB community. Had a fantastic day - even if I was the token sober bloke on the day.

Have numerous videos that I will burn and send to you too Simon.

Chatty

.. was spewing I couldnt make it to this.

Next time, gadget.

all I can say is ..ouch.. to Eskygate.

Some late arrival photos, added to this thread for posterity.

First up, some carbonising rather than caramelising.

burntrock.jpg

No wonder we only ended up with 15l. First the pickup tube in the kettle blocked with plugs. And everytime I tried to take a gravity sample, people like TonyM drank it, and I had to take another one.

sample.jpg

Mind you, the leftover in the kettle didnt go to waste, later in the evening while sitting in front of the fire we drank it.

leftover1.jpg

leftover2.jpg

Hey GL,
I've been siting in Prague for the last couple of weeks and I just came back from my usual afternoon of sitting at the Local in the setting sun with my book, a plate of pickled herring and a pint of of Urquell just days out of the brewery and thought I'd check the AHB forum to see whats happening and the first thing I see is a clever, digitally modified photo of myself behaving in a most uncouth manner. I have no recollection of that so it can't be true.

On a recent scrounge visit to GL's (for bottles for the Xmas swap) i was provided with a bottle of the Stein Beer for a taste.

The smell is very similar to that of a bush honey - with really strong burnt caramel notes. Then the taste is a very malt driven beer with treacle flavors - again the burnt characteristics are to the fore.

All in all - beautifully carbonated (on the lower end) - lovely dark amber colour - excellent length and mouthfeel - burnt honey type flavours - very interesting.

Just a shame that given GL's 'extreme' brewing techniques - there is absolutely no way that this could be repeated.

RM

Latest posts

Back