Saison season is here. What's your best recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was tossing up between a hefe or a saison this weekend but now I am thinking if I make a wheaty wort I can ferment half with a saison yeast and the other half with a hefe yeast and have he best of both worlds!

peekaboo_jones said:
Yeeha! Bring it on.
I've just shifted to all grain but my favourite quick kit is: -

Coopers Canadian blonde/Euro lager/pilsner can
-500g dry wheat malt
-200g white sugar
-30g Saaz hops @ 5 mins
made to 23L with Belle Saison yeast.
How long did you age it?
Just bottled a kit one with 500g LDME, 400g wheat malt, 300g sugar, 100g cara munich, 20g EKG, belle saison yeast.
Fermented down to 1004. It's as sour, tart, dry, winey as hell. E: Obviously I expected some of these qualities, but not to the level I got.
Either I stuffed something up or going to have to wait until march to drink it...

Hmm sounds fine. What temp was it fermented at?
mine are generally at their best at 4 weeks but we're fermented at a controlled 20C for the duration.
Last year I made one in the shed over summer at ambient temps and it pushed belle saison too much. Very winey and had some phenolic attributes. I tipped it out

Danscraftbeer said:
Ha, well it may not appeal to everyone but it does to my palate.

This I usually do with Ale yeast like Coopers Cultured or US-05 but I'm sure its going to make the best Saison I've ever made anyway.

Spiced Saison 21 litres. (Cubed)
OG = 1.047
FG = 1.008 or less
IBU = 33.6
EBC = 8
ABV = 5%
3.7kg Pale Malt
0.2kg Wheat Malt
0.2kg Cara Pils
0.1kg Acidulated
Esky mash technique: 1st infusion - 62c for 90min. 2nd infusion 70c for 20min. Batch sparges with 72c water.
Bring each batch addition to boil. Final run off gravity as low as 1.010. By then Pre boil = ~30lt. 90 minute boil.
Hops: One bittering addition only for this beer.
24g Magnum (Any neutral style bittering hop will do)
Spices: (All put into cube)
90g Ginger (fresh grated)
1 Habanero (deseeded, chopped)
1 Large Mayan lemon (juice and rind)
7 Whole Cloves
3 Bay Leaves
WLP590 French Saison
I may dry hop the keg with Galaxy flowers for Passionfruity aroma.
That looks great. You will have to let us know how it drinks. Thanks for sharing it!

peekaboo_jones said:
Hmm sounds fine. What temp was it fermented at?
mine are generally at their best at 4 weeks but we're fermented at a controlled 20C for the duration.
Last year I made one in the shed over summer at ambient temps and it pushed belle saison too much. Very winey and had some phenolic attributes. I tipped it out
Didn't get too high in temp, started at 21C, raised to only 24C due to cool weather. (Decided to brew one because of the heatwave that hit perth 2-3 weeks ago, but it was kept cool with the other fementers doing IPA and APA for the first few days).
But soon after doing the brew the ambient in perth dropped, so never even got it above 25C.

Give it some time and when it's carbonated well try and store it cold for a few weeks. It should mellow. I've just put one on too and the samples also taste very sour, I hope it's not an infection. Belle usually isn't like this

contrarian said:
I was tossing up between a hefe or a saison this weekend but now I am thinking if I make a wheaty wort I can ferment half with a saison yeast and the other half with a hefe yeast and have he best of both worlds!
Yep - great way to do it.

The saison can get a ferment addition cane sugar to make up ~10% fermentables, and dilute back to target OG for a very fermentable wort.

Just took a sample of my simple saison. Went from 1.043 to 1.002 in 4 days. Dry and delicious. Will leave it for a few more days, cold crash and keg

Just took a sample of my simple saison. Went from 1.043 to 1.002 in 4 days. Dry and delicious. Will leave it for a few more days, cold crash and keg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481778123.198318.jpg

And there she is! Poured my first glass today; nice and carbonated thanks to my new double regulator set up.

Already planning another one for the yeast cake.

I'm going to try the following next weekend:

80% Pils
20% Wheat Malt

30g Mt Hood @ 60min for 21 IBU
30g Mosaic @flameout
30g Mosaic dry hopped
400g Passion Fruit pulp in secondary

Put one down a few weeks ago that was about 50% pils, 37% wheat, 10% Vienna and 3% acidulated.

Hallertau and saaz @ 60 and 15. To about 25 IBU

Had a jar of trub of the yeast bay saison blend from early in the year in the fridge that still smelled and tasted good so started it with a week wort and then stepped it up to about 2L added to about 20L and added another 25L once that had kicked off and it went off like a bomb.

Will have a couple of kegs for Christmas which is just perfect!

good thread

Have some WLP566, so a saison brew is on the cards for this weekend.... just need to piece together a recipe

I got lazy and got a fresh wort saison from GnG . Using 3724 and using some orange peel (bitter) for the first time. Im going to add it to the ferm after the 2nd krausen dies down. 10g to start with.

Anyone got any feedback on the idea of using orange peel and grapefruit peel in a saison...

Good idea/bad idea?
Quantities?
Bother using the juice/flesh also, or just the peel...

SBOB said:
Anyone got any feedback on the idea of using orange peel and grapefruit peel in a saison...

Good idea/bad idea?
Quantities?
I was going to add some ruby red grapefruit peel to my next saison. In brewing classic styles it has 42g of orange peel at 5mins for the wit bier. I'm going to start with about that.

On another note, I pitched another Belgian brew today that had 10g of coriander seed in the whirlpool. Tastes pretty good. Might also work in a saison or maybe some pepper.

shacked said:
I was going to add some ruby red grapefruit peel to my next saison. In brewing classic styles it has 42g of orange peel at 5mins for the wit bier. I'm going to start with about that.

On another note, I pitched another Belgian brew today that had 10g of coriander seed in the whirlpool. Tastes pretty good. Might also work in a saison or maybe some pepper.
threw together a recipe and its going to be the peel from one orange and one grapefruit...
its going to turn into beer either way :)

SBOB said:

Good idea/bad idea?
Quantities?
Never used Grapefruit. Orange and Lemon I have. I like the idea of fresh over any packet stuff but you have to be careful with fresh rind in beer. Its easy to get that peel pith bitterness instead of that nice flavour your looking for. I tried it in the cube and it got too much bitterness. So back to the old recommendations of the late boil being better.
The Saison recipe I posted previously I substituted fresh lemon with that brewing stuff Sweet Orange Peel packet stuff I payed for and I have to say on tatse testing it neer finished and warm its a much nicer result.
Saisons are also better for aging I feel. I have some that's been in th e back of the fridge for years because its been a pretty harsh dry drink. Then after a year! it seems to mellow?
Its all experimental.

Latest posts

Back