Saison season is here. What's your best recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
First day of summer! I'm looking forward to brewing a few saisons over the next few months. Does anyone have a killer recipe they want to share?

I've made Tony's motueka saison from the recipe DB; It was a cracker!

Simple.

Mostly pils, touch of wheat to anywhere between 1.035 and 1.050. Bigger if you like big saison - I like the session/refreshin' from slightly more historically aligned (although even mine is stronger).

Noble hop, hall mit preferred, to around 30 ibu.

Step mash with 15 mins at 62, 40 odd at 68-70.

Ferment with 3711 (or the belgian or farmhouse -all 3 wyeast are great but french is my favourite), starting at reasonable ale temps but allowing to rise to ambient summer temps within 48 hrs. Ferment to fg, condition, then cold condition

Yeeha! Bring it on.
I've just shifted to all grain but my favourite quick kit is: -

Coopers Canadian blonde/Euro lager/pilsner can
-500g dry wheat malt
-200g white sugar
-30g Saaz hops @ 5 mins
made to 23L with Belle Saison yeast.

Should I tell you guys?

This my go to base for wheat, sasion and sour. It is a wheat beer but it tases awesome with other yeasts too.

Screenshot_2016-11-18-14-27-52.png

Opps it is no chill so those hop AAs are off

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-18-14-27-52.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-18-14-27-52.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 273
Yeah a lot wheat.

My image looks fuzzy will try to do that again

The trick with a good saison is to let the malt and hops form a background for the yeast to shine.

I normally use mainly pils with some wheat. Occasionally a bit of Munich for colour. I've used hallertau, styrian goldings and a few others with good success with IBUs light and a small 15 minute addition. 20-30 IBUs total is about right.

Mash long and low. I biab and normally mash at least 90 minutes at 63C because you want it to finish dry.

Farmhouse ale is a good yeast for a creamier finish. Yeast bay saison blend is a much crisper and tart finish. Very different but both fantastic in their own way.

If you are inclined that way any of the Brett saison blends work well to bring some more funk.

I normally ferment at ambient and hope for some hot days which is why it is a great summer beer. The yeast can easily tolerate 30C or more and it helps bring out the character of the yeast.

Mine tend to finish about 1.002 so a relatively low OG is fine if you want to make a summer quaffer.

I think this is he perfect beer for the Australian summer and try to keep one on tap through the whole season!

Latest posts

Back