Saison season is here. What's your best recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Checks latest records) I used 15g powdered Orange Peel for a 20lt batch. It seems a conservative amount, but noticeably nice.

I had a 'Hawkers Saison' (first ever saison for me) on the way home Friday arvo and loved it, wish I had have bought a slab. Definitely a style I'll be brewing soon, ..Probly my next brew the more I think about it.

Danscraftbeer said:
(Checks latest records) I used 15g powdered Orange Peel for a 20lt batch. It seems a conservative amount, but noticeably nice.
Sounds perfect. Thankyou.

Here's the recipe I'm going to try for a Peach Saison:

21 Litre batch

4kg Belgian Pilsner
1kg Belgian Wheat

30g Mt Hood @60min
30g Mosaic @0min
30g Mosaic dry hopped after primary fermentation
1kg Peach Flesh in secondary

Belle Saison yeast starting out at 18deg and ramping up to 25-26 near the end of fermentation.

Bob_Loblaw said:
Here's the recipe I'm going to try for a Peach Saison:

21 Litre batch

4kg Belgian Pilsner
1kg Belgian Wheat

30g Mt Hood @60min
30g Mosaic @0min
30g Mosaic dry hopped after primary fermentation
1kg Peach Flesh in secondary

Belle Saison yeast starting out at 18deg and ramping up to 25-26 near the end of fermentation.
How did your peach saison end up mate? I'm unsure how much to use (peach) in fermentation

reardo said:
How did your peach saison end up mate? I'm unsure how much to use (peach) in fermentation
From what I read, roughly 1/2 to 1 kg to 4L is about the ratio that is recommended (1 to 2 pounds per gallon) to get it peach forward.

I've got a peach beer in secondary right now. I used 3kg of pitted peaches to 20L of beer. I fermented the beer down to terminal (Wallonian Farmhouse from the yeast bay), then racked onto the peaches.

To prep: I washed the peaches, cored them and cut them into very small pieces (glass carboy). I then froze them, let them thaw, then froze the again; this was to break up the fibres.

Mine will sit in secondary for 6 to 8 weeks before I bottle. I also added brett c at the same time as the peaches.

I'm planning on racking a maple syrup dubbel onto the peaches to use them for a second time.

Just pitched wlp590 onto my first Saison.
Looking forward to trying something different than the pale ales I've mostly been brewing.
I'm planning on following the white labs instructions- pitch at between 20-22deg. until krausen forms then reduce temp to 18/19deg. until fermentation is complete. Sound about right?

Just pitched in a 2 litre starter of WY3031-PC into a cube of my hibiscus saison
I used 70g of hibiscus & rosella tea compared to my usual 50g, upon having a sniff I think this may be a little too much, will wait and see
Another thing is this time I've used Pale Malt, which I think is far too light for my usual recipe
Will add some crystal or a few grams of roast malt next time

I would ramp up as fermentation proceeds. I pitch mine in at 22 - 24 and go north from there

Thanks Shacked, I might give that a go instead. I was a bit worried about it turning out too estery/phenolicy but it seems to be the norm from what I've read.

First saison I did I pitched at 18 and keep it at 18. Had a nice spiceness/fruity taste to it. I've got one fermenting now, pitched at 18 and after 48 hours raised to 25. The smell coming out of this one is amazingly spicy and fruity! So much more that the first one. Wyeast 3711 for both, though this one is the 3rd pitch of the first one. Can't wait to taste this one!
Did the same process with the second brew (18 for 48 hours then up to 25) and it's now aging with wyeast 5526 Brett lambric, looking forward to trying this one in a couple of month.

Benn said:
Thanks Shacked, I might give that a go instead. I was a bit worried about it turning out too estery/phenolicy but it seems to be the norm from what I've read.
You could keep it on the low side and see how it turns out then repitch into another batch and push the temp then compare!

Phoney said:
Personally I find the traditional / simple saisons can be a bit boring.

I brewed this 'Merican - Hoppy Funk Saison earlier this week. It's already dropped to FG! Used Wyeast 3031 - PC

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2014/07/saison-merican-hoppy-funk.html

Now it's time to age it for a couple of months for the funk to develop.

I've had this one sitting in the shed (with the aim of maturing Brett) since December, and now as any of you on the East Coast would know, we've had a record hot summer. In early January when I racked it to secondary it was tasting delicious. Since then it's quite probable that this beer reached the mid-thirty degrees on more than one occasion. Now the Brett has accentuated (I can taste sweaty horse blanket!) but to my taste I think it has also developed a hot fusel alcohol taste. Actually more so the smell, it has a whiff of metho. SWMBO agrees. The taste is quite mild but you do get a very small hot spike up the nose like you do when sipping spirits.

My questions are, is it even possible for a beer to develop fusel alcohol long after reaching FG? Are fusels likely to fade over time? (I've read conflicting reports). Is it even fusel I'm sensing or is it funky brett? (it's the first time I've brewed with Brett)

I'm about to dry hop it with 112g of hops, hopefully that will do something good, right?

I did a Kolsch pressure fermented so upped the ferment temp to 20c supposed to be clean still this way

The pressure never held ( gasket )

I ended up with slight hot fusels kept keg for ages 3 months but it never went away

Ended up tipping have a new gasket so need to redeem myself

Just my observations though so someone more astute than me hopefully will chime in here

brett will mellow in time. dry hoping now probably not the go. my 100% brett fermented triple had the hot alcohol which has mellowed but it was 12 abv.

OK thanks. I havent dry hopped yet, but have crash chilled. Wondering if I should pull it out and give it another month or three?

Latest posts

Back