Saison season is here. What's your best recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I always use wheat. I generally try to use all weyermann malts too.

73% Pilsner
24.5% Wheat malt
2.5% Acidulated malt

I'm not sure the oats would work, I like my saison to be dry and a bit crisp or tart not sure what the right word is but the mouth feel from oats may not work that well with a saison.
My 2cents only... I've never tried it but if you do, I'd love to know how it goes.

Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure on the effect but I've done some research on the version of AIPAs that use oats, then a (newish) version of American saison that uses oats. Apparently without the darker malts the effect is a bit different to the full, slick oaty element in an oatmeal stout; to the extent that a saison that's mashed a bit low doesn't have the same oat element at all (which then begs the question of what impact does it have? [emoji57] there's a lack of description from this point onwards!).
Unfortunately there's only a few examples of oats in saisons that I could find a discussion on, and none that don't use wheat in equal or greater amounts.

I need to do a "starter" batch for a WLP-530 yeast cake to do a Westy 12 clone, and this seemed a good excuse to test out a Belgian oat thing. So I s'pose given I'm using WLP-530, it's probably more correct to say Belgian Ale.

Fwiw, the plan was 10% oats, 85% pils, 5% Aromatic (plus a bit of acidulated). Mash low, something like 55/63/66/72/78 for 5/30/30/20/5. Ferment at 18, then climb a bit by day 3-4.

technobabble66 said:
Anyone done a saison with oats?
In particular, one with oats and no wheat?
I did one with golden naked oats and used the rare barrel golden recipe. It did lack a bit of the crispness of a straight pils/wheat saison and despite finishing at 1.005 it had quite a bit of body and a little background sweetness.

It was 70% castle pils, 12% wheat then 6% each of naked oats, spelt and vienna. 30 IBU of motueka and the yeast bay wallonian farmhouse. I ended up blending it with some very dry and acidic sour beer and it turned out great!

If you do one with just pale/pils malt and wheat, I'd also be interested in the results.

reardo said:
How did your peach saison end up mate? I'm unsure how much to use (peach) in fermentation
I used just under 4kg of peaches for a 20L batch. The peach flavour is incredible and spot on IMO. What lets this Saison down a little is I probably used too much grain. It fermented out to 0.997 and 7.8%!!! Too much alcohol and it really overpowered the peach flavour at first. It has mellowed down to a nice drop flavour wise now but just too alcoholic.

sp0rk said:
Just pitched in a 2 litre starter of WY3031-PC into a cube of my hibiscus saison
I used 70g of hibiscus & rosella tea compared to my usual 50g, upon having a sniff I think this may be a little too much, will wait and see
Another thing is this time I've used Pale Malt, which I think is far too light for my usual recipe
Will add some crystal or a few grams of roast malt next time
Had a taste this morning and the Brett is just right up in front and rather strong
Really hoping it mellows out, otherwise I might make a little 5L batch of a fairly malty belgian ale and blend it in, as I didn't really account for changing from ale malt to pale malt and I think it's lacking a little backbone

Ive got 44ltrs approaching terminal gravity - it's my third version on the same yeast.
V2 keg is about to blow - but it's just been an absolute cracker of a beer.

Here is the recipe;

Title: Saison v2

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Saison
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 44 liters (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 50 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 67.5% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 5.08%
IBU (tinseth): 22.34
SRM (morey): 4.59

FERMENTABLES:
6.42 kg - German - Pilsner (61.6%)
3.5 kg - American - Wheat (33.6%)
0.25 kg - German - CaraMunich I (2.4%)
0.25 kg - German - *Acidulated Malt (2.4%)

HOPS:
18.33 g - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 13.03
55 g - Mt Hood, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.6, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 9.31

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Sparge, Temp: 64 C, Time: 90 min, Amount: 30 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

2.5kgs of mango after primary for 10days (dropped temp to 14degC) before pulling fruit and cold crashing
*acidulated added after conversion
Fermentation Temp: 28 C
WLP590/648Blend (yeast cake)

Look up Tony's Bullshead Summer Saison in the recipeDB.
It's been my summer seasonal recipe for about 4 years now.

Seriously it's fantastic!

petesbrew said:
Look up Tony's Bullshead Summer Saison in the recipeDB.
It's been my summer seasonal recipe for about 4 years now.

Seriously it's fantastic!
Agree with that. His motueka saison is also a top drop!

A made a kit saison a few weeks ago, coopers Canadian blonde, 300g white sugar, 25g hallertau steeped, 10g rock salt, yeast recultured from belle saison home brew, bridge rd Chevalier saison and also boat rocker Epice saison. Went from 1025 OG to 0995 over about 6 days.
Tastes salty as **** out of the hydro sample but amazing once carbonated and cold

First ever Saison is fermenting away nicely at 23c.
3 days in gravity has dropped from 1:051 to 1:020 and the worty sweetness is giving way to some nice esters from the WLP590

On another topic, I just had these, my 2nd & 3rd ever sours.
IMG_5126.JPG
Both were quite nice, the wife & kids preferred the red (cherry) their eyes watered upon tasting the other.
Thursday night beer appreciation, always a hoot

Benn said:
First ever Saison is fermenting away nicely at 23c.
3 days in gravity has dropped from 1:051 to 1:020 and the worty sweetness is giving way to some nice esters from the WLP590

On another topic, I just had these, my 2nd & 3rd ever sours.
attachicon.gif
IMG_5126.JPG
Both were quite nice, the wife & kids preferred the red (cherry) their eyes watered upon tasting the other.
Thursday night beer appreciation, always a hoot
Nice on both fronts! You could always just throw the dregs into your saison and make your own sours (several months later)... :ph34r:

Dude! I used everything I could muster to stop myself from dregging the Saison :)
Me: "For god sake just leave it alone man! It's your first Saison and it's tasting good. Just close the Ferm fridge and walk away!"
Other Me: Yeah but this could make it better.."
Me: "we've been here before, ...remember.."
Other Me: "Yeah whatever, ...the Cats need feeding anyway so I'll do that, have fun with your shit beer"

Bob_Loblaw said:
I'm going to try the following next weekend:

80% Pils
20% Wheat Malt

30g Mt Hood @ 60min for 21 IBU
30g Mosaic @flameout
30g Mosaic dry hopped
400g Passion Fruit pulp in secondary
I was thinking of splitting a batch half onto passion fruit pulp and dry hopped with mosiac, the other half standard.
How did this one turn out?

Benn said:
Dude! I used everything I could muster to stop myself from dregging the Saison :)
Me: "For god sake just leave it alone man! It's your first Saison and it's tasting good. Just close the Ferm fridge and walk away!"
Other Me: Yeah but this could make it better.."
Me: "we've been here before, ...remember.."
Other Me: "Yeah whatever, ...the Cats need feeding anyway so I'll do that, have fun with your shit beer"
Just get one of these going. I filled it with fermented saison and added dregs from Fantome, Nomad, Lindemans, Almanac etc. I'll use it for another brew post primary.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487308286.532069.jpg

Demijohn, hadn't thought of that. Too easy

Pretty happy with this for a first attempt at a Saison. Such an easy beer to brew.
Been in the keg for a week, no gelatine no nothing, just keg & carb.
Getting some pepper & passion fruit coming through which is nice. I'm keen on brewing this again and bottling it for drinking next spring.
IMG_5175.JPG
IMG_5176.PNG

Benn said:
Pretty happy with this for a first attempt at a Saison. Such an easy beer to brew.
Been in the keg for a week, no gelatine no nothing, just keg & carb.
Getting some pepper & passion fruit coming through which is nice. I'm keen on brewing this again and bottling it for drinking next spring.
attachicon.gif
IMG_5175.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_5176.PNG
Looks like a cracker mate.

Ferg said:
I was thinking of splitting a batch half onto passion fruit pulp and dry hopped with mosiac, the other half standard.
How did this one turn out?

I ended up going with Peaches for this one. It turned out a little to heavy (7.8%) for the style but absolutely delicious. It's still on tap now and my only complaint is that I can't drink much of it without getting too drunk!

I got the recipe from Mary Izett and she mentions that she did split the batch but found that blending them back together made it even better. The passion fruit will compliment the Mosaic really well.

I will try this again with passion fruit but will make it much more sessionable (say 4.5%) and refreshing. I may even do it next given were experiencing an extended summer in QLD.

Do you have a good source of cheap passionfruit? They are $1.50 each at coles! I was thinking of trying a red plumb saison as they are about $3.50 a kilo and that red flesh should come out really nice in the beer

Coodgee said:
Do you have a good source of cheap passionfruit? They are $1.50 each at coles! I was thinking of trying a red plumb saison as they are about $3.50 a kilo and that red flesh should come out really nice in the beer

I was going to buy some passionfruit pulp for this one. Not the sweetened canned crap but there is an online store that sells the puree frozen. From memory it was reasonably priced.

Latest posts

Back