Saison season is here. What's your best recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I've never tasted a Saison before.

A good thing to do in those cases (when you haven't had the base style), is to just make a basic version of the beer, then make changes/experiment with other recipes from there.
If you've never had a saison before, then unfortunately your recipe won't give you a good idea of what they taste like either. All of those other additives will overwhelm and detract from the yeast character.
Like I said, the coriander and orange are classically suited to a witbier, not a saison. Not to say that you can't do it, but they're not really something that you see added in to a saison.
As your quote stated, the primary characters come from the yeast, you need to let that shine, and not muddy it with other spices. Where did you get that particular recipe from?

Have a crack at one of the simple recipes in this thread (50/50 pils/wheat; 50/40/10 pils/wheat/vienna; either with just a noble hop @ 60mins for 15-20 IBU), that will give you a true idea of what a saison is.

A good thing to do in those cases (when you haven't had the base style), is to just make a basic version of the beer, then make changes/experiment with other recipes from there.
If you've never had a saison before, then unfortunately your recipe won't give you a good idea of what they taste like either. All of those other additives will overwhelm and detract from the yeast character.
Like I said, the coriander and orange are classically suited to a witbier, not a saison. Not to say that you can't do it, but they're not really something that you see added in to a saison.
As your quote stated, the primary characters come from the yeast, you need to let that shine, and not muddy it with other spices. Where did you get that particular recipe from?

Have a crack at one of the simple recipes in this thread (50/50 pils/wheat; 50/40/10 pils/wheat/vienna; either with just a noble hop @ 60mins for 15-20 IBU), that will give you a true idea of what a saison is.
Agree.

And adding to this, Fermentation temp. Aim between 20-25c.

Agree.

And adding to this, Fermentation temp. Aim between 20-25c.

I like to ferment hotter. My ESB Comp saison was basically 70% castle pils / 20% flaked wheat / 10% cane sugar with a handful of Belgian aromatic. 8% ABV.

Fermented it at 32C with fourth generation belle saison. Judges liked it as it came in first in category.

Fermented it at 32C with fourth generation belle saison. Judges liked it as it came in first in category.

Depends on the yeast, really.
It's terrifying to let it be that high, but Belle Saison can handle it without undesirables poking their head out. MJ's French Saison yeast certainly doesn't like to go above 30oC (from my experience, anyhow)

Anyone had experience with Wyeast 3031 PC Saison-Brett Blend?

I pitched a full pack into a batch last summer, left it sitting for 3 months. It possibly got too hot in that time and in the end it tasted like acetone (nail polish remover) so I chucked it on the lawn.

I'd be keen to give it another bash with the right recipe + care. Maybe this: https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2011/03/rye-saison-with-brett.html

Depends on the yeast, really.
It's terrifying to let it be that high, but Belle Saison can handle it without undesirables poking their head out. MJ's French Saison yeast certainly doesn't like to go above 30oC (from my experience, anyhow)

And this was in the absence of a thermowell, so in reality it was probably closer to 35C. I've pushed MJFS that high too and it was awesome. Loads of pear esters.

Latest posts

Back