S189 And Acetaldehyde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonw

Reaction score
I'm trying a dry yeast for the first time in years (the last one would have been from the top of a can.)

I've pitched 4 packets of rehydrated Craftbrewer S189 into 38L of OG1.044 lager wort at 12C. That's 1.2g per L, which is at the high end of the Fermentis spec sheet, but shouldn't be over pitched per se. I kept it at 12C for 3 days, then ramped up to 16C at 1C per day and held there, which is my normal fermentation schedule with WLP830 German lager yeast. It was tasting great until yesterday (day 9). It's down to about SG1.010 and has really prominent acetaldehyde.

What do you think I should do? I've ramped it up to 17C. Should I just hold it there and hope it goes away?

Cheers,

Jon

Keep it on the yeast a bit longer, it needs more time to condition. That yeast more than likely produces more than others.

Thanks. I guess I'll just keep it there at 17C until it rates better.

Cheers

Jon

Keep it on the yeast a bit longer, it needs more time to condition. That yeast more than likely produces more than others.

Thanks. I guess I'll just keep it there at 17C until it rates better.

Cheers

Jon

Latest posts

Back