RU OK

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
b785ee1ac45b0db364711ab1e19bf43dcc7709c7c3a0af4eb21bdefc44a5a6e2.jpg

Is your beer OK today?

All warmth and kind thoughts to those home brewers broken hearted by bad brews. :drinks:

We had a fundraising BBQ for "Mates in Construction" at the training centre today. Construction workers are 5 times more likely to die from suicide than on the worksite, that is a tragic figure.

bradsbrew said:
We had a fundraising BBQ for "Mates in Construction" at the training centre today. Construction workers are 5 times more likely to die from suicide than on the worksite, that is a tragic figure.
A mate of mine who runs his own sand and polish business and does a lot of project home work was telling a few weeks back one of the project managers telephoned him to say he's leaving. In the last six months he's suffered chronic insomnia, a nervous breakdown, is on the verge of divorce and now his hair is falling out in clumps. The same company had another bloke kill himself in January this year. Both were under 45. Stress is no ******* joke.

It's fucked, it really is. Not to mention those coming back from overseas armed forces duty who are doing the same thing at a rate of knots...while ******* pricks in Canberra sit on their hands and run the poor bastards around in circles in the full knowledge that the frustration will kill them to save a few dollars.

Still, the economy survives, and that's all that matters.

And this is why it really does matter to ask...a number of years bacl I was due to catch up with a mate when he got back from Sth Oz. The thought came to mind to give him a yell to say g'day, but I dismissed it. This happened 3 or 4 times, and in the end I just went "nah, I'll catch him saturday" as I worked with him in a bar. Friday morning I get the call from my boss that my mate taken his own life. Dion't EVER dismiss that nagging thought. You never know how important it may be.

bradsbrew said:
I did a site induction a couple of weeks ago for a big construction job that's just starting up here on the Sunny Coast. The inductor, from the project development co, (one of the biggest in Aust) said he gets told of a suicide nearly every month.

And that's just blokes from their most recent job up here .

A mate of mine seemingly had "it all", his own business which was going gangbusters,heaps of work happy and cheerful.
His workers found him hanging from the rafters in his shed.
A bloke could turn himself inside out trying to find out why !
Giving a **** is the first and best step.

No-one ever asked me....& I'm still here, despite a LOT of shit...& I mean A LOT!

'Guess it depends on your individual tolerance levels.

Best not to second-guess your mate's abilities to cope & just simply offer the hand/ear for acceptance than to end-up with a dead mate.

And from personal experience...I've got a pretty decent pain/difficulty tolerance, yet it has only been through quite extensive personal workings through that I was able to determine that there are subconscious issues which can have a bigger impact than we understand...which helps explain why I was sitting on a bed at 18 with a .22 barrel in my mouth yet there had been no conscious thought decision, and why only 2 months ago I was ready to step off without understanding why. Sometimes, it can be that simple question which allows a mate to bring to his consciousness the understanding of a decisoon which has been made at a deeper level.

There can be many factors at play so it can't be simplified down to being just about comparative tolerance levels. Glad to hear you have been able to battle on madpierre and am hopeful you are getting the support you need to continue doing so.

And that's my point entirely KB....we look at people's tolerance levels, or their personality, or other more obvious signs, and don't see what might be going on, just as the bloke himself may not necessarily know what's going on, you might only have a very small window that something is not right with a mate.

That mate of mine, I had seen one evening a sign there was a mucvh deeper and troubled aspect to him but just didn't give it a thought until it was too late...and then to find out that he very rarely allowed others to even get a glimpse of that...it was gut wrenching, I tell ya. And yet two other mates who also chose that path...they had made decisions well in advance, whiich was only discovered later, yet all the signs were there.

Forget all the trivial macho bullshit that goes on, too many blokes are dying and we are too afraid to go there with the blokes we engage with...and I reckon half of that is that we are too afraid or conditioned not to look at ourslves.

I had a mate who was a brilliant man, he had a really lovely wife and a four year old daughter that he absolutely doted on. He had a great job and seemingly wanted for nothing. Outwardly he seemed very confident and never admitted to having any demons at all. But he had depression, yet managed to hide it all inside him. The depression robbed him of any sense of true perspective - the great job began to scare him and made him fear failure to the point that he was convinced that he would soon no longer be able to provide for the wife and daughter. The only way out of the trap that he had convinced himself that he was in was to book himself into a motel room, take an overdose of pills with a bottle of vodka and when he came to he finished it off with a razor to the wrists.

madpierre06 said:
And from personal experience...I've got a pretty decent pain/difficulty tolerance, yet it has only been through quite extensive personal workings through that I was able to determine that there are subconscious issues which can have a bigger impact than we understand...which helps explain why I was sitting on a bed at 18 with a .22 barrel in my mouth yet there had been no conscious thought decision, and why only 2 months ago I was ready to step off without understanding why. Sometimes, it can be that simple question which allows a mate to bring to his consciousness the understanding of a decisoon which has been made at a deeper level.
You've got mates here,strangers but mates none the less,I guess everyone here gives a **** regardless.

spog said:
You've got mates here,strangers but mates none the less,I guess everyone here gives a **** regardless.
That's true Spog, and thanks, but the kicker is that sometimes you can find yourself in that headspace and it's damn near too late. Thjat's where we need to be listening to our mates, and when we hear or see that one little sign that something might not be right...we can't be too afraid or self conscious to ask the question. Not just RU OK, but sometimes "Mate, what's going on"/"Is something going on"?

Latest posts

Back