Refractometers From E-bay (hong Kong) Any Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't let me stop everyone spending their hard-earned now that the dollar is excellent against the USD, but amidst all the excitement , it should be mentioned that a refractometer is really a valuable tool for all-grain brewers who want to take samples during the mash, at pre-boil to determine any quick recipe corrections, and at post boil. The huge advantage of a refractometer over a hydrometer is that a pipette sample of a mere couple of mL can be taken, which cools down rapidly, compared to 150mL in a hydro measuring cylinder.

Anyone doing kits, kits & bits or extract don't really need one, because you can already quite closely determine the outcome of each brew based on your ingredients. It's the AG'er that will benefit most from having a refractometer in his collection of brew toys.

And of course, it doesnt measure FG, unless you do some number crunching.

Good point Silo Ted. A must for the All Grain brewers out there. I am sick of running a large sample from the brewery inside, then into a flask, then into cold water for a bit then take the temp for correction then back into the hydrometer tube for a reading. It has only taken 125 AG brews to realise how good this will be.

refracs coupled with beersmith and a hydro you can also determine the starting gravity of commercial examples to help you further dial in style clones. :) (or when you forgot or stuffed up your OG readings.)

BS also has a refrac adjustment for SG, as well as FG reading conversion from brix to SG. I simply luurrrve it.

Beersmith and hydros that is!

Do I have to get one that shows Brix?
Or more to the point, why should I get an alcohol refractometer that goes all the way to 32 brix (sg 1.120) when I could get a salinity one that that only goes to sg 1.070 which imo would make it more accurate?

HC

Good question HC. I guess you dont do Barley Wines or Dopplebocks. ;)

Do I have to get one that shows Brix?

brix/plato.. same same. IMO ignore the ones with SG on them. You simply *4 and you're on the money for SG +-1 gravity point in most instances. :icon_cheers:

Understood but, I think I need to clarify. What I mean is, I don't really see myself doing any super high gravity brews ie; above 1.070. So, am I better off getting one that has a lower scale or do I need to get the one that says it is specifically for alcohol?

So do these things work after fermentation? ie with alcohol in the liquid?

I have to say that I prefer hydro post-ferment. I seem to get several different readings from my refractometer when measuring post ferment, but maybe that's just my dodgey ebay refrac or dodgey eyesight that's the problem ;)

I have to say that I prefer hydro post-ferment. I seem to get several different readings from my refractometer when measuring post ferment, but maybe that's just my dodgey ebay refrac or dodgey eyesight that's the problem ;)

im the same, i use my Hydro after ferment, my ebay job does the same as your's..very handy during my
runnings and during the boil.. :icon_chickcheers:

Understood but, I think I need to clarify. What I mean is, I don't really see myself doing any super high gravity brews ie; above 1.070. So, am I better off getting one that has a lower scale or do I need to get the one that says it is specifically for alcohol?
Am not quite sure if or how good the salinity ones measure sugar, you would think that Brix is Brix, but the fact that they only mention salt water in the description would make me cautious.

I bought one of these, it's definitely for beer but only goes up to 18 Brix. I bought it for the same reasons, rarely do high gravity beers and the scale is easier to read because it's less cluttered.

Florian

My 2c on refractometers:-
These are great for preferment as others have stated.
I have found that different brews ie:- cider, stout, lite ale etc. give different readings during and at end of ferment.
So the conversion tables get thrown out the window.
Have others experienced this or is it my refract. or me? :unsure:

i haven't used my hydro at all for the last 10-15 brews.

I have two conversion tables (if i'm away from brewmate or beersmith). One for pre-ferment, and another for active fermentation.

I find the refractometer far more accurate than a hydro (trying to read a meniscus after a few pints can be tricky...)

If i dropped my hydrometer "accidently", it would give me a good reason to get rid of it, and i wouldn't be fussed one bit.

EDIT: "note to self" - learn to spell.

Have you checked yr post ferment refrac readings vs yr hydro? I'd been led to believe that they can't be trusted even with a conversion chart.

Back